Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I'll agree with you on one thing. The apple keyboard accessory sucks so bad to type on I'm surprised it's not unanimously hated. Jesus Christ that thing sucks

I went to the store today and my friend actually liked that keyboard. I just rolled my eye. It's a terrible keyboard. I like my Logitech Keys to go combo + Smart cover much better. Also I like bluetooth better because I can lay my tablet on the tablet flat. and treat it like a piece of paper then only type when i need to without the keyboard getting in my way when i'm not using it.

Reactions: seasurfer

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
It seems you may be in the minority.

I live in a large University Town. Last year at school and the various Starbucks shops surrounding the campus, 75% of the laptops were MBA or MBP.

This year a conservative estimate reveals 80% Surface Pro Models. What a surprise to see what the Students choose now. I must say it got me to try one. I enjoyed it so much I bought a Surface Pro 3 and really enjoy it.

As much as I like iPads, with the productivity killing iOS 9 and failure to provide an essential file system, Windows 10 provides a very significant advantage.

Oh sure, they may not have as many games and fart apps as Apple, but they've got a nice selection of software for work and school. Given the high popularity Microsoft will see that more apps follow soon.

It's good to see Microsoft giving Apple a run for its money.

That was the reason that got me into the Microsoft store to try it, because I am seeing more and more people using it as a LAPTOP and occasionally as a tablet.

However, after trying it, I just couldn't like it, I don't want to use it mainly as a laptop...as I don't think it is more powerful than my MBP 15. I want to use it as a big tablet, and the Surface Pro just can't fulfill this function.

Reactions: Capt T and xPad

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I went to the store today and my friend actually liked that keyboard. I just rolled my eye. It's a terrible keyboard. I like my Logitech Keys to go combo + Smart cover much better. Also I like bluetooth better because I can lay my tablet on the tablet flat. and treat it like a piece of paper then only type when i need to without the keyboard getting in my way when i'm not using it.

The Logitech keyboard is even worse, too heavy. If I ever need to use a keyboard I will just go back to my iMac or MBP.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Logitech Keys to Go has even shallower travel than the Apple Smart Keyboard. How are you liking the KTG more? I like how light the KTG is anyway.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I have the surface pro 3 that I use for work. I looked at the 4 and the Pro and went the other way, this is because I will use it as a tablet most of the time, and the surface pro is a very poor experience as a tablet. You may like the type cover keyboard, and its better on the 4, I bought it for my 3, but it is still pretty terrible. Congrats on your decision, do what works best for you, that is really all that matters in the long run.

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
Maybe old members who would post alternative opinions are discouraged and left.
You're acting like you're some sort of brave truth-teller or something.

All you've done is bought a Surface Pro instead of an iPad. Millions of people have done this. And hundreds of millions of people have done the opposite.

It's nothing special. We aren't idiots who don't know that non-Apple products exist. We do, and we tend to favor Apple products, which is why we're here.

What sense would it make to go out and buy an iPad, then post on a Windows site about how I preferred the iPad? Nobody gives a sh-t. It's a choice, no choice is better than another. What's right for me isn't necessarily right for someone else.

It's not that you aren't allowed to say you like the SP3/4, but what's unclear is how this is on topic in an iPad forum.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
You're acting like you're some sort of brave truth-teller or something.

All you've done is bought a Surface Pro instead of an iPad. Millions of people have done this. And hundreds of millions of people have done the opposite.

It's nothing special. We aren't idiots who don't know that non-Apple products exist. We do, and we tend to favor Apple products, which is why we're here.

What sense would it make to go out and buy an iPad, then post on a Windows site about how I preferred the iPad? Nobody gives a sh-t. It's a choice, no choice is better than another. What's right for me isn't necessarily right for someone else.

It's not that you aren't allowed to say you like the SP3/4, but what's unclear is how this is on topic in an iPad forum.

I think that is all you needed to say :p

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I went to the Apple Store to try out the iPad pro. I really wanted it to work since I'm kind of devoted to the Apple ecosystem. However, two major flaws on the iPad pro compared to the surface - no kickstand and bad keyboard.

The iPad pro is just to big and heavy to hold. Without a case, it can't stand on its on.

And the keyboard is way below the type cover. No real key travel and I have to say it looks uninspiring to me personally. The type cover finally won me over because I plan to do a lot of typing, writing reports, emails etc.
If that what you going to use it for? so MB air would be better for you.
the way I see it unless the pencil is important for you than buy the surface if not the air has the best keyboard option compare to the iPad pro or the surface.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I went to the Apple Store to try out the iPad pro. I really wanted it to work since I'm kind of devoted to the Apple ecosystem. However, two major flaws on the iPad pro compared to the surface - no kickstand and bad keyboard.

The iPad pro is just to big and heavy to hold. Without a case, it can't stand on its on.

And the keyboard is way below the type cover. No real key travel and I have to say it looks uninspiring to me personally. The type cover finally won me over because I plan to do a lot of typing, writing reports, emails etc.
Cool story bro.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Logitech Keys to Go has even shallower travel than the Apple Smart Keyboard. How are you liking the KTG more? I like how light the KTG is anyway.

The keys have less travel. But I like how light it is. The apple keyboard have this click i don't like, it feels weird when i reach the bottom of the keys. The KTG are mushy which isn't good, but i can manage. i also am okay with it because its super small and light and i only need to take it out of my bag when i need it.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Honestly though, Having tinkered with the SB... Wait never mind, it was on constant hard drive failure... so I tried the SP4... Oh wait, that one had registry errors. Ah yes, I did manage to use the SP4 when it first came to Best Buy. It had a great screen, good keyboard, stylus was good. But one problem was Microsoft... If they could just solve that one tiny problem then I'd get a Surface. ;)

Kal

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Honestly though, Having tinkered with the SB... Wait never mind, it was on constant hard drive failure... so I tried the SP4... Oh wait, that one had registry errors. Ah yes, I did manage to use the SP4 when it first came to Best Buy. It had a great screen, good keyboard, stylus was good. But one problem was Microsoft... If they could just solve that one tiny problem then I'd get a Surface. ;)

Kal

image.jpeg
Because I am entirely mature, I drew the thread. Please note writing with a thick board marker is a true first world problem xD

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I'll agree with you on one thing. The apple keyboard accessory sucks so bad to type on I'm surprised it's not unanimously hated. Jesus Christ that thing sucks
The surface keyboard cover has less feedback than that Apple keyboard cover...and doesnt register all of the letters when typing. Ive used them both. Msfts keyboard cover does have a trackpad....but it barely works so yes you need a separate mouse.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The surface keyboard cover has less feedback than that Apple keyboard cover...and doesnt register all of the letters when typing. Ive used them both. Msfts keyboard cover does have a trackpad....but it barely works so yes you need a separate mouse.

Not the new model, which has an excellent keyboard with excellent feedback, and a very good trackpad. Last week's Windows update made the scrolling finally almost indistinguishable for me when compared to my Macbooks.

I have to agree with the original post here - the keyboard for the iPad Pro is really underwhelming in its design. Not the keys, which I could get used to - but the way it interfaces with the device. Apple is really just repeating the same mistakes that Microsoft made with the Surface Pro. It's not a laptop replacement if you can't adjust the screen angle, and it's not a laptop replacement if the keyboard is a second-class part. I've owned every Surface keyboard made, and each has been a significant improvement on the last - but this latest generation is the first one that is really good on its own merits - and the changes that were made to it are almost exactly those that I and many others were clamoring for (I'm considered the Apple fanboy at the Microsoft sites). They listened to the feedback, and we got a much improved product as a result.

I'm still considering an iPad Pro depending on how I feel about the pencil for my uses - it certainly sounds like Apple did their homework in that respect - but the keyboard is really a let-down.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The trackpad on the Surface is still objectively bad. Sorry but its not even close. The keyboard MSFT did make improvements to.i dont like wedge keyboards personally. I prefer flat so my arms sit at a 90 degree angle.

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The type cover finally won me over because I plan to do a lot of typing, writing reports, emails etc.
If you actually do a lot of typing, then you would've gotten a real laptop or the Surface Book. The type cover for the Surface Pro is a joke.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The trackpad on the Surface is still objectively bad. Sorry but its not even close. The keyboard MSFT did make improvements to.

I'm telling you it's not. I'm really picky about the track pad, and the new one is actually quite good. No, it's still not quite as good as the best Apple ones, but it is still very, very good. I could easily live with it as my main mobile tracking method. The primary thing missing is full gesture support - but with the pace that MS is updating Windows 10, I would expect that to come relatively soon. I have been complaining about these trackpads for years. I haven't just suddenly changed my standards. I use it side-by-side with my MacBook every day so it's not like I'm forgetting what a MacBook trackpad feels like. Really, it has improved dramatically in just the last few days with the TH2 Windows update released late last week/over the weekend.

If you actually do a lot of typing, then you would've gotten a real laptop or the Surface Book. The type cover for the Surface Pro is a joke.

The new one is not. Again, I'm really, really picky about these things - I purchased Thinkpads for years in large part because of their keyboards. My primary keyboard is a heavily customized Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro. When I say that the keyboard on the typecover 4 is really good, that is strong praise. I think it's better than the MacBook Air keyboard at this point - better feedback with less key wobble and less backlight scatter. Easily good enough to be most people's primary mobile keyboard.

Ryan0751

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Have to agree with this. I'm a devoted Mac fan, but purchased a Surface 3 pro because I basically wanted an iPad with more of a laptop feel. It wasn't love at first use. I found it to be awkward as a laptop, and the MS Store's app selection for touch is lacking. But the more I used it, the more it grew on me, and the less I use my iPad. It's nice to be able to run full desktop applications, and browse the web using a desktop browser (Chrome). When I installed Window 10 on it, it was a huge improvement in terms of usability (8.1 is awful).

I always hated some things, and that type cover was one of them. It was so easy to hit the wrong keys, and the track pad was one of the worst I've ever used. The two finger scrolling just didn't work, unbelievably bad.

I've recently given the Surface 3 to my folks, and purchased a new Surface Pro 4. It's quite an upgrade. It's thinner, lighter, faster, and stays cool and quiet during normal tasks. And, the type cover 4 is MUCH better. It's now much closer to using my Macbook Pro (not as good, but very close). I have no trouble writing e-mails or coding on it.

Oh and Windows Hello is very cool. As soon as I open the Surface, the infrared camera kicks on and using facial recognition unlocks the computer in a split second. Very cool...

Never thought I'd really want another Microsoft product, but they did good on this one. It took them a few iterations...

I'm telling you it's not. I'm really picky about the track pad, and the new one is actually quite good. No, it's still not quite as good as the best Apple ones, but it is still very, very good. I could easily live with it as my main mobile tracking method. The primary thing missing is full gesture support - but with the pace that MS is updating Windows 10, I would expect that to come relatively soon. I have been complaining about these trackpads for years. I haven't just suddenly changed my standards. I use it side-by-side with my MacBook every day so it's not like I'm forgetting what a MacBook trackpad feels like. Really, it has improved dramatically in just the last few days with the TH2 Windows update released late last week/over the weekend.

The new one is not. Again, I'm really, really picky about these things - I purchased Thinkpads for years in large part because of their keyboards. My primary keyboard is a heavily customized Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro. When I say that the keyboard on the typecover 4 is really good, that is strong praise. I think it's better than the MacBook Air keyboard at this point - better feedback with less key wobble and less backlight scatter. Easily good enough to be most people's primary mobile keyboard.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Have to agree with this. I'm a devoted Mac fan, but purchased a Surface 3 pro because I basically wanted an iPad with more of a laptop feel. It wasn't love at first use. I found it to be awkward as a laptop, and the MS Store's app selection for touch is lacking. But the more I used it, the more it grew on me, and the less I use my iPad. It's nice to be able to run full desktop applications, and browse the web using a desktop browser (Chrome). When I installed Window 10 on it, it was a huge improvement in terms of usability (8.1 is awful).

I always hated some things, and that type cover was one of them. It was so easy to hit the wrong keys, and the track pad was one of the worst I've ever used. The two finger scrolling just didn't work, unbelievably bad.

I've recently given the Surface 3 to my folks, and purchased a new Surface Pro 4. It's quite an upgrade. It's thinner, lighter, faster, and stays cool and quiet during normal tasks. And, the type cover 4 is MUCH better. It's now much closer to using my Macbook Pro (not as good, but very close). I have no trouble writing e-mails or coding on it.

Oh and Windows Hello is very cool. As soon as I open the Surface, the infrared camera kicks on and using facial recognition unlocks the computer in a split second. Very cool...

Never thought I'd really want another Microsoft product, but they did good on this one. It took them a few iterations...

I've been intrigued by the Surface Pro for years - I bought the first one but it wasn't polished enough for me so it mostly sat around. The Sp3 was the improvement I was waiting for in form factor and stylus support - but Windows 8 was unpolished and the type cover 3 really left a lot to be desired. Windows 10 is really on the right track for a converged device. And the type cover 4 as we have been saying, is finally very good. I'm tempted by a SP4 but the recent Windows updates have made my SP3 finally very stable, cool running, and the fan now rarely comes on in normal use. Battery life is also finally improved. I have an iPad Air 2 and a retina MacBook as my personal devices, but the Surface is now finally good enough that I'm finding myself using it more and more for casual computing as opposed to the Apple stuff. It's really interesting to see software and hardware improved so much and so quickly in this iterative fashion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.