Westworld (HBO) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AustinIllini, Oct 31, 2016.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Without a doubt, this is the most intriguing show I have seen since Game of Thrones. Spoilers abound.

[​IMG]

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Although of the original movies, I absolutely preferred Futureworld, they're doing a great job with this.

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Just watched last nights episode. A few new twists. Great acting so far and well directed. Could be my favorite show right now.

4. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Evan Rachel Wood has been absolutely brilliant. Love the way they are developing the character.

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

This whole 3 (or more) time lines is really interesting/difficult/fun to grasp. I wish I had paid attention to it more from the start. I might have to give it a re-watch when the season is over.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

You bring up a good point. I'd say it can even be hard to tell if there are different timelines that are going on, although without something like that various things don't add-up all that well.

7. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I'm doing a "blind post" (avoiding spoilers) since we've only watched the first two but it's pretty outstanding!

When I catch up with the show, I'll catch up with the thread :D

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I know hey? I didn't even consider it until I read it online. I started noticing certain things not making sense but I wasn't considering timelines. They've done a great job of making it appear as a single timeline.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Pretty much the same here.

10. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I started watching it yesterday on HBO GO. Interesting.

11. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

To me, theories in Westworld begin with this simple notion:

How does Bernard interview Delores when she's also out in the park with Williams? The answer is, he probably can't, so it's likely a two timeline story. I would guess the interviews between Bernard and Delores are towards modern times, where as Delores's adventure with William are early in the park's history. If I had to guess, William is due for a major tragedy in the park and his brother-in-law Logan becomes the man in black.

12. C DM, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

It's certainly possible that something like that is what's happening, as it fits and can explain what we are seeing. Another possibility is that there's something else to it somehow, like another physical version could be used with the same memories and personality and details to interact with while the host itself is still out there somewhere in the storyline. I would say that perhaps what lends more to the different timelines idea is that in some parts a storyline is just in the early stages of being designed, while in other parts that storyline is already being played out. But, again, there could be some "twists" to it all that might provide other potential explanations for all of it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    And here I was just content following along with it as it airs, with all the parts that don't quite add up right away not thinking too deeply about those parts or just going with the flow thinking that it will all add up in some fashion down the line (which I'm sure it will).

Now with this thread I stepped out of that "bubble" looking deeper into it all and finding quite a bit--sometimes I'm not really sure what's better, reading up on all the theories and sort of being prepared in one way or another for any of them, or just being surprised in a way by it all as it develops organically on the show.

Quite a number of different and similar theories out there:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...theory-lawrence-bernard-is-arnold-clone-robot

http://www.thisisinsider.com/westworld-man-in-black-timeline-theory-2016-10

http://collider.com/westworld-theory-man-in-black/

13. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

There's a pretty good podcast about Westworld I have been listening to that does a solid job explaining the theories

Decoding Westworld

14. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I'm really enjoying Westworld so far. I think there's a lot of pressure for shows to be insta-hits nowadays, but I do think this one will fit the bill. It even took me about 2 seasons to really get hooked on Game of Thrones, and it's now one of my favorites. ;)

I read some of these theories last week about the story taking place in different time periods, which I find really interesting. Since the hosts don't age, we have no idea how much time passes between scenes. It adds a lot of depth to the plot, although it's something that probably isn't meant to be revealed until the end of the season. In this latest episode I was watching for the "W" and "\W/" logos, as they're supposedly a good indication of when that scene is taking place.

On a side note, it's funny how people keep misusing the word "timeline" with regards to this show when they mean storyline and/or time-period. Multiple timelines would be something like in Back to the Future, where changing the past would create an alternate timeline with a different present/future. Westworld, from what the theories point to so far, is just different points in time in the same timeline.
    [​IMG]

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

In some sense the logos might also not really be an indicator as it seems various parts of the park (especially various lower levels) haven't really been as up to date and might still have older logos and even technology appearing even if things aren't happening in the time period that those might be from.

16. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

That's true. It would depend on the context when and where the logo appears.

17. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Maybe, but GoT season 1 and Westworld Season 1 are more on par. The thing is, GoT has developed into an amazing show over multiple seasons.

18. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Look forward to each new episode. Really watchable. Acting, settings, atmosphere all first rate.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

They are just different. Both are good in their own ways. Just like a number of other shows. Not sure if the comparisons really add much one way or another (or that they really need to be compared at all).

20. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Today's reveal was really well done. I can honestly say there are a number of things Westworld does really, really well.

21. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I agree, it was a great episode. And probably Anthony Hopkins' and Thandie Newton's best performances in the series so far.

"What door?" - That marked the beginning of the scene that made my jaw hit the floor. :eek:

And this leads me to think, just how much does Ford actually control? Will Theresa be replaced with a replica host? He intimated that he'd done it before... What about board members? Or even people who are now out in the real world?

22. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Serious questions

Are any of these people real? Is Anthony Hopkins a host, too? Is Arnold behind all of this?

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

All of that are definitely some of the bigger/deeper questions of it all.

24. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

The different timeline theory is shaping up even more, anybody recognized the lady that the guy in black "saved" in tonight's episode?

It was the same host that helped Will get dressed up when he got to Westworld."