Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I have a Mophie. When using a TPU case, circles showed up. I was able to wipe them off. I placed a microfiber cloth, folded to roughly the size of the charger, over the charger. It worked fine, no marks. I'm sure the glass back of the phone without a case would not be marked.

Are you talking about marks on the case or the phone itself? Any pictures of this?

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Are you talking about marks on the case or the phone itself? Any pictures of this?

The circle marks were on the TPU case. The Mophie charger will not mark the phone. I can't send a picture of the marks I experienced on the case because they no longer exist. They wiped off.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
Do you have pictures?
I don't as I have already put a micofiber cloth to prevent it from happening.
[doublepost=1514872067][/doublepost]
The circle marks were on the TPU case. The Mophie charger will not mark the phone. I can't send a picture of the marks I experienced on the case because they no longer exist. They wiped off.

The same!! I my case is moshi and the circle marks is very visible. I wiped it off and they are gone. This is what I did with the charger to prevent it from happening!

Attachments

• IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0670.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 321

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I just got the Anker 5W stand this week: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753Z4PGC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No it doesn't do fast charging, but that's okay since I use it for overnight charging on my nightstand. There is a blue light that comes on during charging, but it's so dim that it doesn't bother me at all. The angle is nice to be able to see my iPhone while I'm in bed if I want to. Would be ideal for using the iPhone as an alarm, and it charges in either landscape or portrait orientation. I use my Apple Watch to wake me up though.

Construction seems nice. My only criticisms are that the included power cord (you still have to use your Apple adapter with it) is not very long and the base is not very heavy. If something tugs on the cable it would easily pull charger and iPhone to the floor.

Because it can hold your iPhone at an angle so you can interact with it, a stand like this would be ideal for a desk.

Sean

Reactions: SRLMJ23

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Need some advice on what to do please...
So I wasn’t expecting to be wireless charging my iPhone 8 Plus because I wasn’t going to be spending the extra money to get a wireless charger. Then someone got me a Samsung stand-up EP-NG930 fast charging wireless charger for Christmas. Is this a good wireless charger? Is wireless charging worth it? I don’t want it to overheat my phone or anything to degrade the battery.

Does anyone have this model of wireless charger and use it?

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
So I wasn’t expecting to be wireless charging my iPhone 8 Plus because I wasn’t going to be spending the extra money to get a wireless charger. Then someone got me a Samsung stand-up EP-NG930 fast charging wireless charger for Christmas. Is this a good wireless charger? Is wireless charging worth it? I don’t want it to overheat my phone or anything to degrade the battery.

Samsung chargers are popular, and any Qi charger will work. 7.5w chargers will provide fast charging, but tests show real world results are not that much better than standard 5w charging. I charge my iPhone X on an Anker stand up charger and it doesn’t get hot at all. Some cases might be too thick, but most don’t interfere. I wouldn’t worry about it and just enjoy the convenience!

Bomb617

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
SoCal

I used the lay flat version of this wireless charger both at home and my office. It does't get you to 7.5w but it never get "hot", only warm to touch after overnight charging.

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Samsung chargers are popular, and any Qi charger will work. 7.5w chargers will provide fast charging, but tests show real world results are not that much better than standard 5w charging. I charge my iPhone X on an Anker stand up charger and it doesn’t get hot at all. Some cases might be too thick, but most don’t interfere. I wouldn’t worry about it and just enjoy the convenience!
I want to give the wireless charger a try...just don’t want to degrade the battery life due to any overheating. The wireless charger does have a built in fan to cool the phone when charging. Does that really help?

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I want to give the wireless charger a try...just don’t want to degrade the battery life due to any overheating. The wireless charger does have a built in fan to cool the phone when charging. Does that really help?

I looked at charger with a fan, but I couldn't see it doing a whole lot of good since I have a plastic case on my iPhone X. I'm betting the fan on the charger is mostly a gimmick. Wireless charging does generate some heat, but so can a hard working mobile CPU. I have felt my old iPhone 6 get quite hot when running a demanding app, and sometimes when charging on the wired charging cable... probably because it was using that idle time to index or a background app was running amok. I have yet to feel my iPhone X get that warm, and it doesn't seem to get warm at all on my 5W charger. A 7.5W charger might generate more heat? I'm no battery or electrical expert. The following article has some information:

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ireless-charging-bad-for-your-smartphone.html

So my takeaway is that wireless charging might degrade the battery slightly faster than wired charging, but not enough to be a concern over the convenience. It sounds like keeping your battery always charged up to 100%, or letting it go down to near zero and then charging it all the way up again, will cause more problems... but even that may not be worth worrying about according to the person interviewed in the article who says, "Srinivasan also cautions against being too sensitive to your smartphone or tablet charging. Most smartphone manufacturers design batteries to last two to three years, so if you're a consumer who typically replaces your phone after that amount of time, you don't need to be overly concerned with charging rates."

Android users have had access to wireless charging for a couple of years and even though there are some discussions about how warm the device gets, I'm not aware of any major problems caused by wireless charging.

Reactions: JaxDamon

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
When the times comes, just get a $29 battery replacement. Don't compromise on your phone's major convenience features out of future anxiety.

Reactions: JaxDamon

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
I decided to go for the integrated 5W charger from IKEA.

Looks perfect after installation in the nightstand. The slower charging does not bother me considering the phone has at least 7 hours to reach 100% while I sleep, and I like the lower temperatures of slower charging.

ea93f5d9517dd845340cd4ae434c147a.jpg

b7c0e2f3790efae40ddd39e0e0722dec.jpg

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Used my Samsung stand up wireless charger for the first time last night! Very convenient not having to fool with the lightning cable in the dark! Just a question though...it says the charger can fast charge up to 9w...assuming that’s accurate, and iPad 10w and 12w adapter with lightning cable will still charge faster correct? Maybe the slower charge will help it to not overheat?

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Used my Samsung stand up wireless charger for the first time last night! Very convenient not having to fool with the lightning cable in the dark! Just a question though...it says the charger can fast charge up to 9w...assuming that’s accurate, and iPad 10w and 12w adapter with lightning cable will still charge faster correct? Maybe the slower charge will help it to not overheat?

You are correct - the 10W and 12W adapter with a Lightning cable will be faster (and even due to the inefficinecies of inductive charging, a 5W inductive charger will be a bit slower than a 5W adapter and Lightning cable). As for heat, there are safeguards in your iPhone and most good chargers to prevent overheating. In fact, some of the Samsung models have fans that can kick on to cool things.
[doublepost=1515438181][/doublepost]
I decided to go for the integrated 5W charger from IKEA.

Looks perfect after installation in the nightstand. The slower charging does not bother me considering the phone has at least 7 hours to reach 100% while I sleep, and I like the lower temperatures of slower charging.

b7c0e2f3790efae40ddd39e0e0722dec.jpg

Nice installation! Our Ikea has perpetually been sold out of most of the inductive charging products (I did get one of the standalone ones in the "wood" color, but wanted to do something similar to what you did on a LACK table at some point).

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
You are correct - the 10W and 12W adapter with a Lightning cable will be faster (and even due to the inefficinecies of inductive charging, a 5W inductive charger will be a bit slower than a 5W adapter and Lightning cable). As for heat, there are safeguards in your iPhone and most good chargers to prevent overheating. In fact, some of the Samsung models have fans that can kick on to cool things.
[doublepost=1515438181][/doublepost]
Actually, I think my Samsung wireless charger does have a fan that kicks on to cool off the phone if need be. I don’t know how that works though? Even with wireless charging, the iPhone will not overcharge correct?

archonium

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
There’s nothing else like this on the market yet?

There is, but not sure of availability where you are. A local accessory shop near my house that sells all mobile accessories from China has a power bank with Qi charging capabilities.

Priced around 25-30 USD

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
There is, but not sure of availability where you are. A local accessory shop near my house that sells all mobile accessories from China has a power bank with Qi charging capabilities.

Priced around 25-30 USD

Could these power bank be the answer to fast charging though? The link I posted mention 10W..if that’s true but too bad it’s not sleek and thin in design..rather have a plugged in wireless charger rather than a power bank wireless charger.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Question for my Samsung wireless chargers.

I have the convertible charging stand and lately it seems to sometimes randomly blink blue. Based on what I read online it means the device may not be on the pad correctly or not supported by the phone.

The thing is the phone continues to show the lightening bolt charging and stays charged.

Has anyone experienced this? Any idea?

Also I have no case on my phone and it is laying directly on the middle of pad.

update: it actually does this on and off though. hmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.