Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I have the 2TB plan too. My family uses 331 GB of iCloud storage. I have 52,000 videos and photos (90+GB) but I do optimize storage.

My iPhone is a 256 GB iPhone but with optimize Photos I am utilizing 46.1GB of storage on my phone.

64GB is definitely usable imo.

I wouldn't buy anything less than 256GB - I see how those 4k videos really eat storage but I don't take those very often. But 64GB is definitely usable by a lot of people I imagine. I'm only using 46GB on my iPhone and my iPad (both 256).

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I have the 2TB plan too. My family uses 331 GB of iCloud storage. I have 52,000 videos and photos (90+GB) but I do optimize storage.

My iPhone is a 256 GB iPhone but with optimize Photos I am utilizing 46.1GB of storage on my phone.

I wouldn't buy anything less than 256GB - I see how those 4k videos really eat storage but I don't take those very often. But 64GB is definitely usable by a lot of people I imagine. I'm only using 46GB on my iPhone and my iPad (both 256).
I hope 128GB is the bottom this time; otherwise, I think I will also go 256. Isn't usually too bad with 64, except for that other fiasco with this beta it got really tight

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I hope 128GB is the bottom this time; otherwise, I think I will also go 256. Isn't usually too bad with 64, except for that other fiasco with this beta it got really tight

Yeah, don't get me wrong... for any device near $700........ 256 should be the minimum... I want 512 GB for the midline ($1100) at least. I can dream :(.

Reactions: compwiz1202

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I'm a memory junkie and my max has 256gig. My wife's XR has 64 gig. We have the 200gb plan and it's served us well.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
So we can add laughable 64gb of storage to the already laughable list of things Apple didn’t get right in the 12, like no 120hz displays, same ugly bezels, no real camera upgrade, smaller battery etc...they are late to get these things out? What a disaster.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So we can add laughable 64gb of storage to the already laughable list of things Apple didn’t get right in the 12, like no 120hz displays, same ugly bezels, no real camera upgrade, smaller battery etc...they are late to get these things out? What a disaster.

Laughable? I'm a heavy user and it would work for me. I don't think it is laughable. It's what Apple has done since ... from when I can remember (when I started first using Apple in 2007). Apple has never been one to give away high storage.

Anyone who complains about Apple's lack of storage either doesn't know Apple or likes to cause reactions. Millions and millions of people will continue to buy the lowest storage and most will be happy with it.

That said, I'd love a 1TB iPhone. I wouldn't utilize any of it, but I'd still like it. <cough>. I had a 512 Xs MAX but even with all my data downloaded to it, I didn't use more than 168GB, so I went to a 256GB 11 Pro Max and have found that Optimize Storage for my photos works really well.

Do you not think Apple is in the market for profit?

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Laughable? I'm a heavy user and it would work for me. I don't think it is laughable. It's what Apple has done since ... from when I can remember (when I started first using Apple in 2007). Apple has never been one to give away high storage.

Anyone who complains about Apple's lack of storage either doesn't know Apple or likes to cause reactions. Millions and millions of people will continue to buy the lowest storage and most will be happy with it.

That said, I'd love a 1TB iPhone. I wouldn't utilize any of it, but I'd still like it. <cough>. I had a 512 Xs MAX but even with all my data downloaded to it, I didn't use more than 168GB, so I went to a 256GB 11 Pro Max and have found that Optimize Storage for my photos works really well.

no phone should be coming with 64gb in 2020, especially an expensive iPhone. It’s an absolute joke and makes Apple look petty, it’s embarrassing

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
no phone should be coming with 64gb in 2020, especially an expensive iPhone. It’s an absolute joke and makes Apple look petty, it’s embarrassing

And yet, Apple will do it and sell millions and millions of iPhones. And I think most of those will be the base model.

Apple is in the business to make profit, and it does that very well.

That said, I agree with you. I think it's sad that in 2020 64GB is offered. That said, can't really utilize that space terribly well... so it won't bother most people. But for something I plop $1300 down on (after taxes) it SHOULD HAVE 512GB at least, I'd prefer 1-2TB. :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Things have been like this when it comes to storage (and to some degree RAM) for years and years, why the sudden outrage this year?

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
It pains me to say this, but I actually agree with you here. From a consumer standpoint, 64gb without expandable storage in 2020 seems blatantly obvious the intent to push someone into a phone that costs $100 to $150 more for that additional storage, and nothing else.

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
Agree with you on this very specific point.
IMO, it is very calculated play from Apple to get extra money with 3 entry points.

1st entry point : push a storage upgrade

2nd entry point : push an iCloud subscription (generally converge to 200 Gb after starting at 50 Gb and they know it). In France it's 3€/month so for 2 years if we do the math : 72€ thats even more money for them (higher marging than selling higher storage on the hardware despite 100$ premium).
Plus, iCloud storage reinforce retention of people within iOS ecosystem. So from a math view, its increase the probability that your next phone is an Apple one and other devices (computers, tablets...) too.

3rd entry point : push Apple One subsription, same reasons as previous point. I would not even be surprised if they slighlty increase iCloud price to increase cross-selling on Apple One bundle. Once again, higher margin on services than on hardware sales. Plus, it's recurrent revenue which is better than one-shot revenue and match the global strategy of the firm (increasing services' revenue)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon.Stewart87

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It pains me to say this, but I actually agree with you here. From a consumer standpoint, 64gb without expandable storage in 2020 seems blatantly obvious the intent to push someone into a phone that costs $100 to $150 more for that additional storage, and nothing else.
Agree with you on this very specific point.
IMO, it is very calculated play from Apple to get extra money with 3 entry points.

1st entry point : push a storage upgrade

2nd entry point : push an iCloud subscription (generally converge to 200 Gb after starting at 50 Gb and they know it). In France it's 3€/month so for 2 years if we do the math : 72€ thats even more money for them (higher marging than selling higher storage on the hardware despite 100$ premium).
Plus, iCloud storage reinforce retention of people within iOS ecosystem. So from a math view, its increase the probability that your next phone is an Apple one and other devices (computers, tablets...) too.

3rd entry point : push Apple One subsription, same reasons as previous point. I would not even be surprised if they slighlty increase iCloud price to increase cross-selling on Apple One bundle. Once again, higher margin on services than on hardware sales. Plus, it's recurrent revenue which is better than one-shot revenue and match the global strategy of the firm (increasing services' revenue)
It's been like that for years though, back when 16 GB was the lowest for a long while, and then 32 GB was the lowest for a long while. That said, there are plenty of people for whom 64 GB will still be more than plenty.

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
It's been like that for years though, back when 16 GB was the lowest for a long while, and then 32 GB was the lowest for a long while. That said, there are plenty of people for whom 64 GB will still be more than plenty.

I have an iPhone 7 256Go (highest storage) bought day one, 4 years ago. Middle storage (128) and max storage (256) are the exact same than incoming iPhone 12. 4 years and no evolution on middle and max storage options (except on Pro models ofc).

I think it's fair to say Apple could do better on this. 4 years in smartphone industry is a lot of time.

Reactions: compwiz1202

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't disagree with that, however, it seems Apple only makes the adjustment when they feel the alternative would possibly push customers away. Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing strategy from a business perspective. But it is also the one thing that has slightly bothered me a bit especially knowing the very low component cost for increased storage compared to the price markup to the customer. Again, great for business, not so much the consumer. But, until the average consumer outside of a tech forum decides it is a slight to have 64gb be the starting tier for a $700+ phone, and thus switches platforms, Apple has little reason to change.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yep.

I think the 16GB base back in 2013-15 as base was actually worse. You really only had 10-12GB usable and apps were already huge back then. Some firmware versions required 5-6GB free space to install so you couldn't even do OTA updates unless you pretty much empty the device.

Compared to that, 64GB is actually pretty workable. In our household, everyone except me can use the Download and Keep Originals setting in iCloud Photos with a 64GB iPhone and still have plenty of room for apps.

P.S.
At $1000 for the Pros though, Apple really should forgo the extra $2-5 or so savings and opt for 128GB minimum.

Last edited:
Reactions: C DM

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
At least you won’t be buying an iPhone so don’t worry about it.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Wasn’t sure what I needed but due to cost(and my discount) I was able to get the 128GB SE cheaper than I could get the 64 GB version from Verizon

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
64GB is a joke, but Apple gets away with it because people still buy it. If people stopped buying it and spoke with their wallets then they would change it...but for now they won't because people will still buy it.
It's still enough for many, so that might be playing into it.

Reactions: Ko13 and BigMcGuire

Jon.Stewart87

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
United Arab Emirates
The make the next level more tempting. That said, 64 GB is hardly something that most people can't use (and fairly likely even the opposite of that).
I'd actually take this differently.. the "average" user doesn't backup to the cloud, sync photos to Google Photos or iCloud etc. My wife's phone has like 5000 photos, 1000 screenshots of interior design ideas etc. Base storage is incredibly important to the average user and Apple knows this. Guaranteed that the average user goes into the Apple Store and they look at their full phone and think "Wow.. ok I guess I need more storage". Apple knows this.

Jon.Stewart87

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
United Arab Emirates
Also, standard photo and video sizes have increased dramatically over the past 4 years, since the iPhone 7 (which has similar...same?) storage-sized phones. Look, I'm coming back into this iOS space new and refreshed after a number of years with Android. I'm excited and can't wait - will also be upgrading the Cloud storage for my wife and I to share. All positivity here - just pointing out that Apple has been notoriously cheap with storage options...forever.

Reactions: The1andOnly

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'd actually take this differently.. the "average" user doesn't backup to the cloud, sync photos to Google Photos or iCloud etc. My wife's phone has like 5000 photos, 1000 screenshots of interior design ideas etc. Base storage is incredibly important to the average user and Apple knows this. Guaranteed that the average user goes into the Apple Store and they look at their full phone and think "Wow.. ok I guess I need more storage". Apple knows this.
There are certainly those kinds of people, and there are certainly those that even with camera use still don't end up coming close to maxing things out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.