Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matd2100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
It's not uncommon now to see Android smartphones with screens at least 4.5 inches in size. Although iPhone 5 will probably have a 4 inch screen, I still don't think this is a big enough increase from 3.5 inches. They've also kept the width the same - probably so that it can be used with one hand. This is useful but hardly necessary since touch screens demand your complete attention anyway and its difficult to do other things whilst operating a touchscreen phone.

What I think Apple need to do is essentially expand the iPhone product line into three products.

1) iPhone 5. 4 inch screen as rumored.
2) iPhone mini. Keeps the 3.5 inch screen but with the same ratio as iPhone 5. Smaller form factor than iPhone 4S. Use of smaller components will allow more room for a similarly sized battery to the iPhone 4S, in conjunction with the continued use of the same processor as the iPhone 4S but with enhanced power management and optimisations and no 4G. Cost less than an iPhone 5 so to appeal to lower end of the market. This will eliminate the need to continue to sell older generation iPhones alongside iPhone 5.
3) iPhone Pro. 4.5 inch screen. Quad core A6 processor. 12 megapixel camera with xenon flash and larger aperture lens. Bigger battery than standard iPhone to offset higher power consumption.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Not quite sure how Apple has gotten to where they are without you. :rolleyes:

Will never understand why people here think they know better than Apple what Apple should do. And this comes from a VP of Marketing.

matd2100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Not quite sure how Apple has gotten to where they are without you. :rolleyes:

Will never understand why people here think they know better than Apple what Apple should do. And this comes from a VP of Marketing.

You don't agree with me then when I say I think Apple are being too restrictive with their product line and their idea of 'one size fits all'? I don't think I know better than Apple, I'm just giving my opinion.

Apple aren't targeting the lower end of the market with current generation phones, instead they're fobbing off previous generation phones which will need upgrading to a newer generation phone sooner rather than later. At the same time I feel iPhone Pro could target power users and have more advanced capabilities, with the standard iPhone being the happy medium for more casual users who have the extra money to spend over an iPhone mini.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I disagree as well
I think this would dilute the iPhone brand, not enhance it

Right now I see iPhones and not iPhones when I am out and about
The iPhone is readily recognizable and branded
And that is true even of fairly casual users
When I see a "not an iPhone" I have no idea what it is
Those that follow phones closely may be able to identify the difference, but most cannot

I think Apple strikes the middle ground for users with their iPhone and it appeals to a broad base
Yes, there are some wanting to stay at 3.5 and others wanting 4.8
But I believe those are the (vocal) minority
The vast number of users IMO want the iPhone regardless
Not because of some reality distortion, but because they appreciate it for what it is

matd2100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
I disagree as well

Those that follow phones closely may be able to identify the difference, but most cannot

I think Apple strikes the middle ground for users with their iPhone and it appeals to a broad base
Not because of some reality distortion, but because they appreciate it for what it is

It could possibly dilute the brand if the three different iPhones all looked very different to each other. But what if they all looked very similar to each other in shape and design? I think the brand would be stronger than ever, and more importantly it would be more diverse and appeal to even more people.

Remember back to the introduction of the original iPod minis. They looked very different to standard iPods and were again designed to target the lower end of the market whilst utilising a smaller form factor. The iPods in the current product line are very different from each other but they don't dilute the iPod brand because they each target different people's price points and needs from a music player, in addition to being consistent with the high quality of Apple design and manufacturing. The same would most likely apply if the iPhone product line were to be expanded.

Last edited:

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
It's not uncommon now to see Android smartphones with screens at least 4.5 inches in size. Although iPhone 5 will probably have a 4 inch screen, I still don't think this is a big enough increase from 3.5 inches. They've also kept the width the same - probably so that it can be used with one hand. This is useful but hardly necessary since touch screens demand your complete attention anyway and its difficult to do other things whilst operating a touchscreen phone.

What I think Apple need to do is essentially expand the iPhone product line into three products.

2) iPhone mini. Keeps the 3.5 inch screen but with the same ratio as iPhone 5. Smaller form factor than iPhone 4S. Use of smaller components will allow more room for a similarly sized battery to the iPhone 4S, in conjunction with the continued use of the same processor as the iPhone 4S but with enhanced power management and optimisations and no 4G. Cost less than an iPhone 5 so to appeal to lower end of the market. This will eliminate the need to continue to sell older generation iPhones alongside iPhone 5.
3) iPhone Pro. 4.5 inch screen. Quad core A6 processor. 12 megapixel camera with xenon flash and larger aperture lens. Bigger battery than standard iPhone to offset higher power consumption.

I agree with you and have said something similar. Fanboys will take whatever Apple gives them and call it iconic, but from a good business standpoint Apple should appeal to as wide an audience as possible. The only way to do that is to offer a variety of different phones to appeal to different people. It is essentially what they are doing based on what we know...keeping the current 4S while introducing a longer phone. I'm hopeful they have something else in store, too...the larger screen phone you referenced will capture a different market and keep those that would defect to Android otherwise.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It could possibly dilute the brand if the three different iPhones all looked very different to each other. But what if they all looked very similar to each other in shape and design? I think the brand would be stronger than ever, and more importantly it would be more diverse and appeal to even more people.

Remember back to the original iPod minis. They looked very different to standard iPods and were again designed to target the lower end of the market whilst utilising a smaller form factor. The current three iPods in the product line are very different from each other but they don't dilute the iPod brand because they each target different people's price points and needs from a music player, in addition to being consistent with the high quality of Apple design and manufacturing. The same would most likely apply if the iPhone product line were to be expanded.

I think there are a number of factors that differentiate the iPod line and justify different versions
In fact some folks purchase different versions for different functions (one for the gym, a different one for travel, etc.)

For the iPhone, that differentiation would be almost entirely screen size, not functionality or features
And I don't think that is a sufficient difference for Apple to develop 3 different versions (R&D, manufacturing, inability to cross utilize materials, etc.) to merely cannibalize their current product

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I disagree as well

so your saying that if they only release a 4.7" phone everybody will buy it even the people that dont like larger screen. just because its an iPhone?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I agree with you and have said something similar. Fanboys will take whatever Apple gives them and call it iconic, but from a good business standpoint Apple should appeal to as wide an audience as possible. The only way to do that is to offer a variety of different phones to appeal to different people. It is essentially what they are doing based on what we know...keeping the current 4S while introducing a longer phone. I'm hopeful they have something else in store, too...the larger screen phone you referenced will capture a different market and keep those that would defect to Android otherwise.

It is all about return on investment
I believe Apple feels their ROI in this case would not justify such a move
Sure, they would sell some, maybe a lot
But would it give them the margin they want after R&D, manufacturing, materials costs, startup, etc.

I believe the market for a smaller, gimped iPhone or a larger iPhone to compete with Android is a smaller market than some here make it
Many here insist that everyone wants a bigger screen when that is simply not true
And when someone says they don't, they are branded as iSheep, fanbois, etc.
Just because someone likes their product and the direction of the product line does not mean they are mindless lemmings

Yes, some will choose to purchase an Android phone
But others seem to return to the iPhone as well

----------

so your saying that if they only release a 4.7" phone everybody will buy it even the people that dont like larger screen. just because its an iPhone?

I really don't see that as a possibility, do you?
Hypothetical questions rarely prove a point

matd2100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
I think there are a number of factors that differentiate the iPod line and justify different versions
In fact some folks purchase different versions for different functions (one for the gym, a different one for travel, etc.)

For the iPhone, that differentiation would be almost entirely screen size, not functionality or features
And I don't think that is a sufficient difference for Apple to develop 3 different versions (R&D, manufacturing, inability to cross utilize materials, etc.) to merely cannibalize their current product

I agree that the iPod's diverse product line is so that it can meet different uses for different people, and that doesn't apply in the same way to the iPhone. However, three products at three very different price points and screen sizes means that they unlikely to cannibalize each other because they will appeal to different types of users. The iPhone pro would appeal to power users, apple enthusiasts and businesses for more professional use, the iPhone would be for more casual use "for the rest of us" at a more reasonable price point and the iPhone mini would be an even cheaper and even more portable alternative (we are in a recession after all :D). I also think this is necessary to fight off competition from smaller, cheaper phones and larger phones with bigger screens on the opposite side of the spectrum.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
why is it that everyone who wants a bigger screen magically thinks apple will offer multiple iPhones?....I think they will always release 1 per year....what incentive do they have to do anything different? Multiple iphones would equal much higher cost and their sales would still be the same.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Who wants a phone the size of a sandwich?

Ok maybe it's a guy thing. More women than men can drag along a tablet in a handbag when they need more real estate on a screen.

But really I don't see Apple making two sizes of smartphones, nor making a smartphone much bigger than the one apparently upcoming.

I can see them making a tablet smaller than the iPad though. Seems like a slot they could definitely compete in.

matd2100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
why is it that everyone who wants a bigger screen magically thinks apple will offer multiple iPhones?....I think they will always release 1 per year....what incentive do they have to do anything different? Multiple iphones would equal much higher cost and their sales would still be the same.

I think a 4 inch screen is going to be much better to use than the 3.5 inch screen, but its not a big enough leap for it to comfortably compete with android touchscreen devices that have larger screens, hence my belief that it is necessary to now expand the product line so as to better compete with what the competition offer. Sales would probably be noticeably higher if they did this due to the different price points.

Also, remember this - people have different sized hands. I can't use the 3.5 touch screen on current iPhones without constantly making typos... I have big hands and large fingers. Hence why I have a Galaxy S2. I do think that the Galaxy S3 screen size is too big though, but the Galaxy S2 hits the sweetspot.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011

For the most part, yeah. What are the alternatives? Mostly equal size Android phones or smaller screened Windows phone. The vast majority of Android phones are 4.3 or larger.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Why? What they are doing now is working very well.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
But would it give them the margin they want after R&D, manufacturing, materials costs, startup, etc.

I believe the market for a smaller, gimped iPhone or a larger iPhone to compete with Android is a smaller market than some here make it
Many here insist that everyone wants a bigger screen when that is simply not true
Just because someone likes their product and the direction of the product line does not mean they are mindless lemmings

But others seem to return to the iPhone as well

----------

I really don't see that as a possibility, do you?
Hypothetical questions rarely prove a point

Very well said.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012

Some people? The numbers don't lie. Apple has a 17% share of the smartphone market, compared to 68% for Android. That's a 4 to 1 advantage for the larger-screened Android phones, and this from an OS that was introduced well after the iphone. Still think that people don't want a larger screen? Apple is leaving millions and millions of sales on the table by not diversifying their line, and it's getting worse over time. People can stick their heads in the sand, but the market is speaking.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/08/technology/smartphone-market-share/

matd2100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Some people? The numbers don't lie. Apple has a 17% share of the smartphone market, compared to 68% for Android. That's a 4 to 1 advantage for the larger-screened Android phones, and this from an OS that was introduced well after the iphone. Still think that people don't want a larger screen? Apple is leaving millions and millions of sales on the table by not diversifying their line, and it's getting worse over time. People can stick their heads in the sand, but the market is speaking.

Couldn't agree more with this. Apple got it right when it came to diversifying the iPod product line. I don't see why they can't do the same with iPhone. 17% market share for a single phone is pretty spectacular though, but expanding the product line would enable Apple to start gaining back some market share from Android.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Couldn't agree more with this. Apple got it right when it came to diversifying the iPod product line. I don't see why they can't do the same with iPhone. 17% market share for a single phone is pretty spectacular though, but expanding the product line would enable Apple to start gaining back some market share from Android.

exactly what matd2100 said. That is comparing 1 phone to like 20 phones....look at the $$ share

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
I think a 4 inch screen is going to be much better to use than the 3.5 inch screen, but its not a big enough leap for it to comfortably compete with android touchscreen devices that have larger screens, hence my belief that it is necessary to now expand the product line so as to better compete with what the competition offer. Sales would probably be noticeably higher if they did this due to the different price points.

Also, remember this - people have different sized hands. I can't use the 3.5 touch screen on current iPhones without constantly making typos... I have big hands and large fingers. Hence why I have a Galaxy S2. I do think that the Galaxy S3 screen size is too big though, but the Galaxy S2 hits the sweetspot.

Apple is doing just fine without this "If you want to compete" stuff. If you want a wider phone, there are a number of them today to purchase, which you currently own one. Apple does not have to build one to satisfy you or anyone else. They will build for the masses, not just for the few enthusiast on this or other forums. I like the current size, and will like the taller one as I have seen it. My hands are large as well, but wider phones are just not that comfortable to hold, and some of them that are wider, just look silly holding them to the ear.

Enjoy your S2. Look at the new offerings from them. Apple will continue to provide with what millions have purchased, and will continue down a path that is their business model of a mature, solid, smartphone. Not to mirror those other phones. Thank goodness. ;)

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
All I am going to say is No.

//

Apple will never do that because it is to complicated and their are to many options. You are forgetting that apples main market is sixpackjoe. I think apples current retail model is fine and I am positive apple will keep it that way.
Top Tier: iPhone 5 $199
Mid Tier: iPhone 4s $99
Low Tier: iPhone 4 $0

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
the most important thing to me is the size of the screen

The most important things to me are:
Ease of use
Integration in my work flow
Integration into my other devices
Availability of apps
Stability

Screen size is pretty far down for me
Would I buy an iPhone with a larger screen? Probably, likely
Would I defect to an Android phone over screen size? No

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
For the most part, yeah. What are the alternatives? Mostly equal size Android phones or smaller screened Windows phone. The vast majority of Android phones are 4.3 or larger.

apple has brainwashed us all ohhh nooo.

but seriously i would love a larger iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.