What are my options.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gen, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

I dropped my iPhone 4 without my cover - and it cracked the screen in the top left corner.
    I'm wondering which is my best options;

1 - wait until September and buy a new iPhone. However, I won't be able to resell my old 32GB iP4.

2 - buy a Squaretrade warranty for $99, and pay the $50 deductible for drops. I'll be out $150 to get my iPhone fixed, and a total of $450 investment with the phone. However, I will be able to resell when the new one comes out - hopefully for still around $300-$400.

3 - use a 3rd party, like; http://www.fix-iphones.com/iphone-4-broken-glass.html - they charge $115.

4 - try and a find a good replacement and do the fix myself - I'm very capable of doing it. However, most screens on Amazon are not OEM - and I absolutely love my current screen.

I'm leaning towards doing it myself. But I'm having a hard time finding the OEM screen - since the LCD is glued to the glass screen.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks like you already know what all of your options are.

3. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

I tried to do some research before I asked. :p

However, I'm really leaning towards the Squaretrade or fix-iphones (3rd party repair). My only concern is if they use the OEM screen.

iFixIt is selling the screen assembly for $150 - which I trust 100% that it's OEM. However, it's very pricy.

If I use fix-iphones, they'll only charge $115 to fix it. If they use the OEM screen I'll most likely go with their service.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I would first attempt to go to an Apple Store and see if you can get lucky on a free replacement.

Last year I had an issue with my iPad, the LCD screen had cracked internally but the glass had no signs of physical damage, but the first genius employee insisted that I had caused the damage and that it would be a $300 fee. I returned 3 weeks later with the the money prepared to pay the fee, the genius employee (different person) walked over to me and without me ever saying a word (other than hello) I handed him my iPad, he didn't even scan the serial number, he just looked at it and said "Ok, I'll go ahead a replace this for you at no charge"

it is a gamble, but could be worth a shot before you spend all that money to fix your iPhone.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out to you that option 2 is fraud and square trade could and should deny you claim.

6. iMJustAGuy, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Same price as the Square Trade option, no?

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sorry if I missed this, but why not take it to Apple and pay $200 for a replacement?

8. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

What's the difference between me buying the warranty before it breaks or after? It's the same price - and same coverage; two years after original date of purchase of iPhone. If anything, my breaking the phone has made me buy their warranty and use their service.

It is.
    And actually I'm leaning more towards Squaretrade now. They'l fix the phone and I'll still have a warranty come end of September (Apple's 1-year runs out). That will also greatly help with the resale value of the phone.

Because Squaretrade is cheaper, and will provide an additional one year coverage after Apple's runs out.

Their plan is only $99 - however, a $50 deductible is required for drops; cracked screens, etc.

9. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Because other than buying a new phone, that's the most expensive option.

10. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Also, I just called and got some clarifications on their pricing.

The $99 price is only for a "new-iPhoes" (purchased within 30 days of warranty). For older phones, like mine, it will actually cost $149. But, the warranty gets extended from the purchase day of the warranty. The deductible will still be the same, $50.

So it's actually going to cost me $200 to go through Squaretrade. However, I really like the fact that after fixing my screen I will still have a warranty. I'm actually pretty set on Squaretrade now. Only thing is, I will have to wait 30 days before sending it off to get fixed after I buy the warranty.

11. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Gen,

If you don't know why you should not defraud a company selling accident insurance then what could we tell you. You are of ill repute and would not listen to good counsel anyway.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If the crack is not over the area where the LCD is, why not just leave it as is?

Sept is not so far away anyway. Keep the 4 as a back-up then. Or sell it for cheap then. Someone will buy it regardless, as long as it works.

13. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Get off your high-horse. A warranty is bought to be used when your item breaks - why else would you have a warranty, to cover the item if you break it. In this situation, people have an option of buying the warranty before or after it breaks. It is illogical and a waste to buy a warranty, when you have a choice, if you don't need it. However, when you do need it - you can purchase it.

Squaretrade is getting $200 to fix my screen - same price Apple is charging.

14. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

[​IMG]

If I can sell this 32GB iPhone 4 for $200 when the new comes out I will hold on to it. However, I doubt - since I wouldn't - pay more than $50 for that. Even though the phone works great.

15. slow hand macrumors member

Did you buy your iPhone 4 at an Apple Store?

I did, and, when my screen got broken, they just replaced it for free. However, they did say that it would be 200 dollars plus tax if it happened again.

16. pyro008 macrumors 6502

You don't really understand how insurance works do you?

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The very difference is when you buy the insurance you are gambling that you will break your phone and square soft is gambling that you will not break the phone.

If you buy it after the fact then the have change the rules because you know it is broken. The phone should and chances are in the fine print is required that the phone be in good shape and working order when you buy it.

In your case you are costing them money in the replacement. They lost money on you because they lost their bet. Like I said it is fraud and they would be in every right and they should deny your claim followed by keeping your money.

18. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

What's the difference if my house burns down and afterwards I get insurance for fire damage? What's the difference if I get into a car accident and afterwards get insurance for my car?

It's fraud, plain and simple. The point of insurance is to purchase it before something happens, in case something happens. Not to let something happen and then purchase it.

19. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I think your second option is the most reasonable one

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Does that include or exclude fraud as one of the options?:p

21. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

You'll definitely get 200 for that.

22. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Just buy the whole front from ifixit and replace it yourself. Not sure if you dented the stainless steel frame though.

23. ckc macrumors regular

Your's has to be one of the most ridiculous reasons that I have ever read to justify becoming a thief and a fraudster.

24. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

The more I thought about it the more I've realized that spending $200 to fix just a cosmetic issue is kind of ridiculous.
    I'm holding on to this until the new one is released - and then just selling it for whatever I can get.

25. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

If it's black convert it to white. :D