What are the odds they'll update the iPad in September?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fugabutacus, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

We know they'll probably announce iPad 2 in September or Spring next year, what do you think the odds are it'll be september?

I'm hoping it will be because in that case i'll probably get one instead of an iPhone 4. Here's hoping for Retina Display :D

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The current version hasn't even launched in all countries yet so I personally think the chances are very low that a new version will be released in September.

When it is released I think there will be a higher resolution screen--but not retina quality. :)

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

September?

2010?

LOLz.

Not a chance in hell. With international launches still to happen, Apple will be lucky to have sufficient stock in stores for xmas.

Apple is juggling a lot of balls these days. I don't see better than yearly (hardware) updates on iDevices.

5. Zillio macrumors newbie

They can not supply the current iPad in enough numbers, there is no way it is getting updated for at least six months.

6. kaibob macrumors regular

Absolutely none.

7. Mrbill317 macrumors regular

My guess

If there might be a new version I think Sept. 2011 or later

8. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I think we'll see an update to the iPad in April of next year.

9. fruitytotheloom macrumors newbie

The new software

Apple is going to have new software. It will probably be released next year. You won't need to get a new iPad you can just download it.:cool:

10. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Also slim is the chance of the new iPad having a 'retina display'.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the absolute earliest update would come next April. but i think if sales keep up in the manner that they have, it might just be a little longer than that even.

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

What a stupid question. Of course they won't come out with a new one in sept. What the hell are you smoking.

13. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

14. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

Like everyone else said, NOT HAPPENING. Ask yourself this:

1. I have a company.
    2. I launch a product where I cannot keep up with demand and exceeds all my expectations.
    3. I'm ramping up production to 3.2 million units per month.
    4. I still have more countries to release the product to.

Now, why am I releasing an updated version? That would make absolutely no business sense. Try next April at the earliest. If it's sooner I'll gladly eat crow. I've heard they are a delicacy in some countries:D.

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

They will update ipods on September, and ipad 2 will come out next year spring or fall.

16. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'm sure they'll take more than 12 months - I think next fall makes more sense. This September? No. However, iOS 4 will be introduced so that's like having a new virtual iPad I guess.

17. joeri.gerrits macrumors newbie

And do you think it will be possible just to upgrade your iPad with the new iOS 4 or will it ship with new iPads only ? The lack of multitasking, folders, etc. is keeping me from buying an iPad for now but if it will be updatable with iOS 4 in the near future things change...

18. caubeck macrumors 6502

iOS4 will be a free update.

As for the original question, yes, Apple updates all its hardware every 6 months. You can buy a subscription so you never miss an issue.

19. VespR macrumors regular

I think there's a possibility it will be updated alongside iOS 4.

If you think about it, Steve said Apple will sell tens of millions of FaceTime devices in 2010.

Yes, the iPhone 4 has been a runaway hit and come to think about it, will probably sell at least 10 million units by 2011. There will also be the iPod/iTunes updates in September. So you can bet they will add FaceTime to the iPod Touch (alongside Retina Display).

But iOS4 for iPad comes out in November. And the main feature is FaceTime. Looking at the teardown photo's I think they've already figured how to jiggle some things around to fit a camera in there. My guess is we'll see a slightly revised model in time for the Christmas build-up. That will certainly push FaceTime into the tens of millions.

Finally a lot of people forget, Apple released the iPad in April. But they announced it in January. That puts the product at 7 months old already, 10 months when iOS4 is warming up. And at a great time for the Christmas line-up.

20. MikeTemple macrumors member

MikeTemple

Absolutely no chance whatsoever. There will be a software update to the existing hardware in November or thereabouts.

I can't see updated hardware before spring next year at the earliest.

If you intend to wait for a retina display before you buy, you might even be waiting for iPad v3. The retina display would be way too expensive for a 9.7 inch screen.

21. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

They are NOT updating the iPad within 10 months of it being released. Not happening and anyone who thinks this is a fool.

Look at the iPad app store... nothing new no new innovations yet its taking time to get some good stuff on the 1st gen.

A year from original launch is when you will see the ipad Gen 2.

Edit: Also they are finding it difficult to even produce iPads for the ammounts of people who want them right now. Its taking ages and places dont have any in stock....

Absolutely no way is another iPad coming out this year. I am that sure on it that I would put my own iPad on the line....

22. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Could it also be possible that they will release a facetime accessory for the ipad? Like some sort of compatible webcam that plugs in to the ipad or maybe even bluetooth?

I don't think the ipad will be updated with an integrated camera anytime soon but I could see an external one being released.

23. VespR macrumors regular

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, if I'm right meh. Doesn't matter. I just said it's a possibility. They're having trouble keeping up with demand now, in July. Who knows what it'll be like in November/December.

Just think about it for a moment though, iOS4 with the signature feature FaceTime. Not on the iPad. Doesn't fit for me.

Now we all know that this feature is coming and will be there eventually, maybe next year. But to offer the software update before Apple has the hardware implemented? That doesn't make sense to me.

We've all seen the screenshots that tilt towards a camera in the iPad. It's coming and the best time to tie it together is with the iOS4 update. Not to give the software feature in November and then 3 months later say, "Hey here's the new iPad with FaceTime."

I think the problem a lot of people might have with this theory is the simple fact you're early adopters. You're testing a first gen product and you don't want to feel shorted.

But you're all going to buy iPad 2 w/ FaceTime anyway, doesn't matter if it's November or March next year.

The only problem I envisage Apple having with FaceTime on the iPad is when someone opens up my contact and hits FaceTime, does it go to my iPhone 4 or my iPad 2? When you think about that problem, FaceTime might not even come to the product at all (not to mention you have to make a phone call to the device first to register it on Apple's servers - how will you do that on an iPad?).