Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyingscott

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Michigan
These are the OWC modules I just received:

OWC

They look, smell and act just like the memory in the system...

If money is no object, let apple install... no biggie. :cool:

But for me, that upgrade was the difference of 375.00 (OWC) vs 1000.00 :)apple:)... that = an Apple TV and an iPhone - no brainier ;)

Bennin

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
For what it's worth, the most convincing argument I've heard recently for buying Apple's RAM is that they contract for RAM to be cut only from the center portion of the integrated circuit wafer. This results in greater quality control, reliability, and predictability in meeting performance standards. Odds are that the manufacturing standards of most other companies don't specify center cut. Whether it's worth the additional money or not to a given person is what the market is all about. :D

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Apple's RAM is highway robbery, plain and simple, as are their hard drives. Highway robbery. Anyone who orders those things from Apple either likes wasting money, is too rich to care, or doesn't know any better.

Aftermarket RAM gives you a LIFETIME WARRANTY. So, when your Applecare runs out and for some freak reason all ten gigs of your memory fails, guess what? Replaced FREE.

deathshrub

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Christmas Island
Just so you know, I'm fairly sure the AppleCare is included in the price (i.e. you get 3 year parts/labour for free, the 'uplift' option is just to include telephone support). A couple of friends called them up about this and they confirmed it, although helpfully it's not on the site.

Judging by how you spell "labour," I'm going to assume that you are in the UK. In America this is what is on the Mac Pro order page, which clearly states that without Applecare you get 1 year on parts, and 90 days for phone support.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 62

davem7

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Judging by how you spell "labour," I'm going to assume that you are in the UK. In America this is what is on the Mac Pro order page, which clearly states that without Applecare you get 1 year on parts, and 90 days for phone support.

Indeed; the same is true for the regular UK store as well. But with the Higher Education store, Apple has a different scheme; to buy from there you need to be a lecturer or student at a UK university. You get a slightly lesser version of the 3 year AppleCare plan included in the price.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK

Eric2

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
London
You could always buy your Mac and Ram from a third party authorised dealer such as Macwarehouse or Computer warehouse.
The RAM they sell is much cheaper than Apples but you don’t have the hassle of ordering it from the States. They will also install the Ram if you buy the Mac from them.

Gonk42

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
near Cambridge
Indeed; the same is true for the regular UK store as well. But with the Higher Education store, Apple has a different scheme; to buy from there you need to be a lecturer or student at a UK university. You get a slightly lesser version of the 3 year AppleCare plan included in the price.

Maybe it depends on which HE store? On the Cambridge University Store it states:

AppleCare Protection Plan (APP)
The AppleCare Protection Plan extends your computer's 90 days of complimentary support and one-year warranty to up to three years of world-class support.

which implies you only get one year without paying extra. They did offer a complementary 3 years at no extra cost last year (I think it was) but this seems to have now changed.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Maybe it depends on which HE store? On the Cambridge University Store it states:

AppleCare Protection Plan (APP)
The AppleCare Protection Plan extends your computer's 90 days of complimentary support and one-year warranty to up to three years of world-class support.

which implies you only get one year without paying extra. They did offer a complementary 3 years at no extra cost last year (I think it was) but this seems to have now changed.

it still cheap as chips to upgrade though right? (around £58)

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Yes. (Though I'd normally hope to get chips for a little less than £58.)

most definitely! Just a note though, i think the 3 years for free still stands, i just found this on the apple HE website:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 70

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
That is interesting - where abouts on the site is it? I was looking under the Mac Pro order page itself.

the first one is on the first page of the HE part of the site, when you state if you are an individual or institution, while the second is in the applecare drop-down menu of the mac pro configure section

hope that helps

Gonk42

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
near Cambridge
the first one is on the first page of the HE part of the site, when you state if you are an individual or institution, while the second is in the applecare drop-down menu of the mac pro configure section

hope that helps

Thanks. I've bookmarked the store directly so don't go through that opening page anymore which is why I've not seen it.

reetcher

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2007
May I ask a quick question without highjacking this thread? I thought that I read on a post a long time ago that if you ordered additional RAM from Apple that they would have to start up the computer from the factory and test the memory. I guess my question is there any reason to get a BTO MP to insure that a second look takes place just in case QC from the factory has missed something? Thanks for any insights. jeff

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
May I ask a quick question without highjacking this thread? I thought that I read on a post a long time ago that if you ordered additional RAM from Apple that they would have to start up the computer from the factory and test the memory. I guess my question is there any reason to get a BTO MP to insure that a second look takes place just in case QC from the factory has missed something? Thanks for any insights. jeff

Getting them to boot up the machine a second time doesn't seem worth a few hundred dollars. Get the RAM from a 3rd party seller or you could pick up genuine Original Apple 2x1GB 800mhz Mac Pro RAM, on eBay ending soon - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=330207811905&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=014

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Hard to justify buying Apple memory most of the time. Buying from Apple will place it under Apple Care but at the cost, you could replace it yourself for cheaper. The first thing I did when I ordered my new Mac Pro was order RAM for it from DMS. Apple Certified. $400 for 4x2G.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I suppose it depends on what you consider important.

Clearly by buying into Apple hardware, you're not that concerned about build quality (as opposed to design) or reliability - so having 'a factory tested config' is probably not that important.

My business and I orders Apple RAM (and discs) because it's one point of support for when it inevitably goes wrong, and we don't have to worry about addressing third-party issues.

Jebaloo

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
You repeatedly shun away from the important keywords I've mentioned. Let me restate them again:-

"Third-party" parts.

If you have third-party parts in your system, and you bring your system to Applecare, they will refuse to touch it let alone inspect it. The technician will take note of your system serial, and make a remark on your warranty info, voiding your Applecare eventually.

This is not a question about servicing your system youself at all. You CAN do so as long as you are replacing Apple-certified user-servicable parts AND using Apple parts. No third-party parts.

Let me know if you need an example.

Can I ask a slightly off topic question?

I just bought the newer technology eSATA extender cable. If I have that installed, would I have to remove it before sending the MacPro in for repair (if the need arose)?

drag0nreb0rn

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
Crazy talk, all crazy talk!! $1500 US for 6 1gb sticks. Are you out of your mind??? THats a whole computer, and a thumping good one at that.

I think the $360 I spent on 6 1gb sticks is scandelous. Are you kidding me? Apple Care warranty? if my ram breaks, I have a lifetime warrenty with OCW. ANd if I didn't, I could re-buy 3 more times before I hit apple's price.

CAS 5 ECC DDR2 800mhz with good heatsyncs.

Apple should be brought up on charges for their prices of upgrades. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw a $1500 price tag.

By the way, this is 2008, you can install your own ram, I promise you, it will be ok. Hell I guarantee you, if you are scared to put your own ram in, there is a 12 year old on your block that would be happy to do it for you for $5. This is at most a 10 minute project.

Based on OCW pricing for 1gb sticks, if you buy their 6-pack, apple ram represents a 400% markup!!!!!!

Hard drives are almost as bad. $200 to upgrade from a 320 to a 500. The same drive is at newegg.com for $105.

stoppard

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
Can anyone confirm whether putting third party ram in your mac pro voids the warranty if it is not "Apple Certified". What exactly does apple certified mean anyways, is some third party ram Apple certified?

I really hope that in order to keep my warranty I don't have to get reamed for ram.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
There is no good reason to buy RAM from Apple. Non whatsoever..
Agreed from a practical standpoint, but as Devil's advocate, if you are rich, lazy or technically disinclined -- buying extra RAM from Apple affords you not having to install it.

Again, not a "good" reason, but A reason.

drag0nreb0rn

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
Ok, but I will only except rich and wasteful. Lazy or technically disinclined doesn't warrent a 400% price hike. Your neighbor can install the ram for you or the 8 year old you see scootering around the street.

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
Crazy talk, all crazy talk!! $1500 US for 6 1gb sticks. Are you out of your mind??? THats a whole computer, and a thumping good one at that.

I think the $360 I spent on 6 1gb sticks is scandelous. Are you kidding me? Apple Care warranty? if my ram breaks, I have a lifetime warrenty with OCW. ANd if I didn't, I could re-buy 3 more times before I hit apple's price.

CAS 5 ECC DDR2 800mhz with good heatsyncs.

Apple should be brought up on charges for their prices of upgrades. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw a $1500 price tag.

By the way, this is 2008, you can install your own ram, I promise you, it will be ok. Hell I guarantee you, if you are scared to put your own ram in, there is a 12 year old on your block that would be happy to do it for you for $5. This is at most a 10 minute project.

Based on OCW pricing for 1gb sticks, if you buy their 6-pack, apple ram represents a 400% markup!!!!!!

Hard drives are almost as bad. $200 to upgrade from a 320 to a 500. The same drive is at newegg.com for $105.

Do you just make up numbers out of your head or where? You lose credibility for the truth when you start exaggerating.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...1134003/wo/Ri6dMmSOt7nN2Qmzg7qyy6Mm9t2/2.?p=0
320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s [Add $100]

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'll go against conventional wisdom with a little story. I had put RAM bought from a very reputable website (very commonly stated on macrumors) into my Powerbook about 3 years ago. About 6 months after placing this RAM into my PB, the logic board pooped out. I had Apple Care so I brought it to the Genius Bar. They ended up replacing the LB, but told me that the failure was due to the 3rd part RAM. They then told me I was "lucky" they covered the warranty due to me placing the RAM in. I then bought Apple RAM and have had no problems since.

Was the LB failure due to the 3rd party RAM? I have no idea.

But, I do find it kind of interesting that there are all these people complaining about how Leopard has caused them all these problems and I have had zero problems with the upgrade. Is it the RAM? I have no idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.