Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JNB

macrumors 604
I'll go against conventional wisdom with a little story. I had put RAM bought from a very reputable website (very commonly stated on macrumors) into my Powerbook about 3 years ago. About 6 months after placing this RAM into my PB, the logic board pooped out. I had Apple Care so I brought it to the Genius Bar. They ended up replacing the LB, but told me that the failure was due to the 3rd part RAM. They then told me I was "lucky" they covered the warranty due to me placing the RAM in. I then bought Apple RAM and have had no problems since.

Was the LB failure due to the 3rd party RAM? I have no idea.

But, I do find it kind of interesting that there are all these people complaining about how Leopard has caused them all these problems and I have had zero problems with the upgrade. Is it the RAM? I have no idea.

Never bought Apple RAM, never had problems. Anecdotal evidence really doesn't prove anything.

So, how did the Genius determine (and more importantly, prove) that the RAM was at fault? Particularly after six months of operation? And how exactly is RAM supposed to catastrophically fail another component (once again, after six months)? If RAM's bad, you replace it--the logic board would be fine. The Genius was blowing smoke, that's all.

tabsaid

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2007
Was kicking myself for buying apple RAM until my logic board went in my G5, Thank god I had no third party parts. They definetly would have tryed to get outta that replacment. Insted I got a new Mac Pro for free (w/ 4x2gig replacment FB Dimms, definetly would not have got those). Was worth the extra 400$ in the long run for me or I would have been horribly screwed. Would I do it again though is a tuff question.....

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
IMHO, legally Apple has to prove that the third party RAM causes the logic board failure if they want to void the warranty. If they can't, they should cover the logic board.

Obviously all these can only happen if you wish to pursue this matter legally of course (in the event they refuse cover).

drag0nreb0rn

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
Do you just make up numbers out of your head or where? You lose credibility for the truth when you start exaggerating.

$200 was a type-O. Newegg.com has $105 500gb 3gb/s sata drives so even though I made a type-o paying 100 to upgrade from a 320 to a 500 is not a good deal either.

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
$200 was a type-O. Newegg.com has $105 500gb 3gb/s sata drives so even though I made a type-o paying 100 to upgrade from a 320 to a 500 is not a good deal either.

But Apple is using some good marketing strategy. A good number of people will just pay the $100 extra to have a 500GB drive, rather than paying the $105 (plus maybe shipping), waiting on it to be shipped, installing the drive and transferring files and either cloning the drive or re-installing Leopard. And then they will have a 320GB harddrive they don't won't and will have to try and sell.......and it goes on and on.

Now to pay $250 for a 2nd drive from Apple, then that's where I think I would be asking the question: WHY!

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Now to pay $250 for a 2nd drive from Apple, then that's where I think I would be asking the question: WHY!

again though there are benefits...ease for one, but more importantly, I myself am thinking of getting 2 1TB drives from apple, because while the first ends up being little more than the cost of a similar drive from a 3rd party, the second i would buy from apple because despite being slower, i have read on MR that the hitachi drives are known for being more reliable, which contrasts greatly to the 3rd party seagates and western digitals.

For me, i have to say that im leaning towards apple parts. Yeah they're expensive, but the difference to me is made up by the piece of mind given by that purchase.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
For what it's worth, the most convincing argument I've heard recently for buying Apple's RAM is that they contract for RAM to be cut only from the center portion of the integrated circuit wafer. This results in greater quality control, reliability, and predictability in meeting performance standards. Odds are that the manufacturing standards of most other companies don't specify center cut. Whether it's worth the additional money or not to a given person is what the market is all about. :D

Given how homogeneous an entire wafer is (and needs to be)...

Given how few RAM failures I've ever seen....

...and the lack of any relevant Google hits on the subject...

Hey, I got a bridge for sale...interested? :D

In regards to the OP, I don't really know of any 'good' reason to go with OEM, except for non-technical reasons (such as a beancounter who insists that the entire system all has to be on but one single Purchase Order).

I'm looking at buying a Mac Pro soon and my plan is to go with minimal RAM from Apple, add then only add a couple of GB today ... not go crazy. Probably only 2-3GB total.

In another 3-9 months, these new RAM prices will have come down, so I'll add some more RAM at that point.

-hh

PS: probably do something fairly similar with the Hard Drives too...look for a sweet spot on the OEM order, with an eye towards adding in additional 3rd party drives as their prices hit sweet spots.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Given how homogeneous an entire wafer is (and needs to be)...

Given how few RAM failures I've ever seen....

...and the lack of any relevant Google hits on the subject...

Hey, I got a bridge for sale...interested? :D

In regards to the OP, I don't really know of any 'good' reason to go with OEM, except for non-technical reasons (such as a beancounter who insists that the entire system all has to be on but one single Purchase Order).

I'm looking at buying a Mac Pro soon and my plan is to go with minimal RAM from Apple, add then only add a couple of GB today ... not go crazy. Probably only 2-3GB total.

In another 3-9 months, these new RAM prices will have come down, so I'll add some more RAM at that point.

-hh

i know it sounds crazy, but i'm pretty sure that im now going to go with apple ram too, 8 gigs of it to be precise, and wait for certified ram to become available (and of course cheaper) before i move up to 16 gigs. I figure that i will then have piece of mind, not have to open up my mac as soon as i get it, and you know like many of us i have been waiting for a bloody long time for this; if it had come out six months ago, i flat out couldn't have afforded apple ram, but now its a viable possibility.

weird thing is it kind of feels like i have to apologise for doing so.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
I'll go against conventional wisdom with a little story. I had put RAM bought from a very reputable website (very commonly stated on macrumors) into my Powerbook about 3 years ago. About 6 months after placing this RAM into my PB, the logic board pooped out. I had Apple Care so I brought it to the Genius Bar. They ended up replacing the LB, but told me that the failure was due to the 3rd part RAM. They then told me I was "lucky" they covered the warranty due to me placing the RAM in. I then bought Apple RAM and have had no problems since.

this "genius" was being an ****** and was completely full of shiite.

this is one of the disadvantages to using 3rd party memory, you've got to pull it out before sending the system in for any sort of repair.
though i'm lucky in the sense the there's an apple certified repair center in my town where the guys are cool and don't care if there's non apple memory inside.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
ok guys, just ordered (please don't shoot me!)

2x 2.8
8 GB's Ram
2 TB Hard Drive
8800gt
wireless KB
wireless Mouse
applecare

+ free printer HP Deskjet D4260

no monitor as of yet, will wait for updated acd's and get by with my syncmaster 932mw for now!

AM SO EXCITED

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
are you trying to tell us you just paid apple for 2TB of hard disks and 8GB of RAM?

if so, you should see a doctor.

some might say, in fact probably most here would say, but with my HE discount, the price difference just didn't seem fully worth the hassle of ordering from the states, and potentially sending it back if things went wrong

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
well, I'm sure you'll be thrilled with it. the MP really can't fail to disappoint.

I still really really really think you're stark raving bonkers for paying the absolutely exorbitant prices that apple ask, but each to their own. I'm guessing you paid at the very least double what the upgrades needed to cost, can't say I'll ever understand the logic in doing that.

but yeah, anyway, you'll love it. hopefully it's all flawless for you. god knows you've spent enough (unnecessary :p) money on it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.