Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
The Human Body: Learning about it now and its amazing how much is not known.

I agree on that. All things biological I find interesting.

Particular things I find fascinating are Language, spoken in particular but also written. It's amazing that we can share otherwise intangible emotions and thoughts through speech and writing.

Also, mathematics. I'm endlessly fascinated by math and numbers - how much can be learned, scoped, measured, and foreseen by math and formulas. Mix math with nature and it's exponential.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I am awed by looking out into space and seeing the sky lit up with stars. Trying to get a grasp on just how far those stars are from me, and consequently how just overwhelming huge our universe is humbles me to no end. The idea that I'm staring into the past, seeing light those stars put off years and years ago is pretty cool.

And on the opposite side of the spectrum, trying to wrap my head around the building blocks of life, from atoms and what makes those up to what makes those protons, neutrons, and electrons up. The sheer size of our smallest particles amazes me, too.

TheOnlyJon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Indianapolis
Learning. But on my own...school is okay and all, but when I find something that interests me, I research it to find out all I can about it.

Economic psychology, even though I've never studied it. I love trying to figure out why people make the decisions they do when it comes to spending their money, and why some businesses are successful while others fail.

Nanotechnology. I know nothing about it, but I'm in absolute awe when I hear about how they fit tiny mechanisms onto single molecules.

Music and all its derivatives. I love writing it, playing it, hearing it, and how cool would it be to one day be able to taste music? When someone figures that out, call me.

Mathematics. It's no wonder I'm majoring in it. There are few things in life that just work and there is nothing more awe-some than discovering why a formula works and seeing it in action. The most fascinating thing, however, is that mathematical formulas aren't ever "invented". They're discovered. Nature dictates the laws of mathematics and it's man that interprets it. It's truly amazing. There aren't enough words to describe it, really.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Savants fascinate me. I love watching documentaries involving them. It's crazy what the human brain is capable of. A notable savant died recently (Kim Peek) who was the inspiration for the film Rain Man.

I know an autistic savant who has a PhD, but in some ways is like a child. I have also met a few schizophrenics with some amazing abilities, too. It was a real treat to see John Nash speak in my town as in my bio I love numbers. There is no doubt he is brilliant, but he had the hardest time trying to explain a simple statistics concept. His mind was on another planet and he lost track quite a bit. If one didn't know who this man was, most of us would think he was in the last stages of dementia (which he didn't have at the time, though old) or that he was mentally feeble.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Inventors / Entrepreneurs / Magnates: I like to hear how they came up with their idea and pieced it together and built their fortune. Read books about/by Rockefeller, Trump, Hearst, Carnegie and others.

The Human Body: Learning about it now and its amazing how much is not known.

Other people in general: I like talking to strangers and don't mind going out to bars / restaurants by myself and being friendly. Listening to their jobs and what they do is fascinating. So many people have jobs that make you say "I guess someone has to do that." Met many different people this way, from a guy who picks jurys for trials to trauma surgeon who was my twin; we met at an airport bar, our iphones sparked a conversation, then we left to walk the 5 gates to our planes. Same plane, seated right next to each other. We drank the whole way to Vegas, went to pay for drinks, we had the same wallet. Also each had the same 2nd wallet on us (in our bags). Odd circumstances.

Wow! That had to be almost spooky, right? What a set of coincidences.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Space. Mars in particular. Since Jan 2004, two rovers have been driving across its surface. Between them they have returned more than 200,000 images. I have looked at every single one of them :)

I like taking science data and turning it into something beautiful, understandable and comprehensible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gujftuteZ8

I like giving lectures to astronomy societies, the general public, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRq0sUP0KbY and was even fortunate enough to give one at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab this March - http://vimeo.com/4432230

I'm obsessed with the World Land Speed Record - not sure what it is, but I'm hooked :)

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Space. Mars in particular. Since Jan 2004, two rovers have been driving across its surface. Between them they have returned more than 200,000 images. I have looked at every single one of them :)

I like taking science data and turning it into something beautiful, understandable and comprehensible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gujftuteZ8

I like giving lectures to astronomy societies, the general public, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRq0sUP0KbY and was even fortunate enough to give one at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab this March - http://vimeo.com/4432230

I'm obsessed with the World Land Speed Record - not sure what it is, but I'm hooked :)

Did you see the World's Fastest Indian?

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Wow! That had to be almost spooky, right? What a set of coincidences.

It was. There were some other things that were too similar as well, but I can't remember it. It wasn't ever weird, just some crazy coincidences.

We ended up drinking way too much on that flight. He paid for most of it. Told me while on call in Vegas he makes nearly 400 an hour just to sit around.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
I'm fascinated by stories of (usually) men who abandon their families. Not sure why, though I think part of it is because it seems like it would be nearly impossible to do today.

mt

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I am awed by looking out into space and seeing the sky lit up with stars. Trying to get a grasp on just how far those stars are from me, and consequently how just overwhelming huge our universe is humbles me to no end. The idea that I'm staring into the past, seeing light those stars put off years and years ago is pretty cool.

This. The idea of infinity has always consumed me. I think it started when my older brother used the "infinity +1" defense on me as a kid.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
human physiology.

Gray235.png

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
How just about anything works. I just love learning in about tons of stuff in general.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical.

No problem with your skepticism. Mechanics and chemistry of the body is simple to me that's all--it's the mind that results of the combination of these basics of biology which is the mystery I like to explore. The mind is not a sum of the parts which cause it to be in my opinion but a strange multiple of sorts--seemingly exponential in its nature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.