Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
91jo7it665L._SL1500_.jpg

Got stuck in traffic coming home from Arrington Vineyards and this came on my iPod shuffle. Pleasant surprise.

I went there to get this:

Arrington-10th-Encore_3184.png

This “vintage port” style dessert wine was made from our own hillside Chambourcin grapes, fortified with brandy while fermenting, and aged in American oak barrels for two years.

EDIT:
...And was incredibly let down :( Way to sweet and fruity for my tastes. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: redshifted

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Genesis: Selling England By The Pound.

One of the all time great prog-rock albums (up there with In the Court of the Crimson King) and the greatest album released by Genesis (certainly the Gabriel era, though I'd gladly swap out Foxtrot, and maybe Lamb).

I especially appreciate posting the album, since it needs to be experienced as a whole :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One of the all time great prog-rock albums (up there with In the Court of the Crimson King) and the greatest album released by Genesis (certainly the Gabriel era, though I'd gladly swap out Foxtrot, and maybe Lamb).

I especially appreciate posting the album, since it needs to be experienced as a whole :)

Couldn't agree more; I think it a brilliant album.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
One of the all time great prog-rock albums (up there with In the Court of the Crimson King) [...]

Oh man, my fingers still ache when I listen to this one. The hours upon hours spent on trying to nail down 21st Century Schizoid Man on the guitar in high school still haunt my dreams. Such a great record, and Robert Fripp is and forever will be (for the exact same reasons!) one of my most liked, and hated musicians.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oh man, my fingers still ache when I listen to this one. The hours upon hours spent on trying to nail down 21st Century Schizoid Man on the guitar in high school still haunt my dreams. Such a great record, and Robert Fripp is and forever will be (for the exact same reasons!) one of my most liked, and hated musicians.

Fripp is such a genius, it's funny how much he contributed to music, yet how unknown he is (not unlike his frequent collaborator Brian Eno). I still occasionally cue up some some Fripp+Eno or his solo work (and of course, he's always present in music on my regular rotation like Bowie).

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
medeski, scofield, martin and wood live - MSMW Live: In case the world changes it's mind

My son just downloaded their LP entitled Juice.
[doublepost=1525483023][/doublepost]
Gustav Holst: "The Planets".

We are due to witness a meteor shower Sunday morning this would be fun to have on hand for that...

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Magnolia Soundtrack - Aimee Mann; My favorite female musician.

Save Me (Music video directed my P.T. Anderson)

Wise Up

Cheers

Reactions: IronWaffle
Gustav Holst: "The Planets".
Deep dive question for you or others: Do you have a preferred recording version?

I have the Dutoit-conducted album. I've heard good things about Previn's and am strongly drawn to the recent release of Steinberg's (but at admit it's as much to hear a surround mix as anything else). Gramophone has a nice piece comparing a few versions and classicalnotes has an enjoyably exhaustive read. Once I discovered this list, however, my eyes and eardrums began to bleed so I closed my wallet. Also saving for a complete cycle of Beethoven's symphonies but that's a-ways down the line.

While this doesn't rank as my favorite classical piece, I've come to accept that one really needs to hear at least two or three versions of anything classical to triangulate an appreciation for any piece since conductors' skills and philosophies (not to mention orchestra, room, engineer, and era) can subtly but with certainty affect the final product. To date, different recordings haven't swayed my opinion from "dislike" to "like" but at the very least such explorations have re-invigorated my interest in the personally over-familiar or under-appreciated.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
... I've come to accept that one really needs to hear at least two or three versions of anything classical to triangulate an appreciation for any piece since conductors' skills and philosophies (not to mention orchestra, room, engineer, and era) can subtly but with certainty affect the final product...

Exactly why I keep my Apple Music sub going. Can download a bunch of performances and take my time figuring out which one I want to live with, then go for a CD and rip it lossless, ditch the stuff I downloaded. No more guesswork based on 90-second track previews.

Some Joan Armatrading for me now. This is a live-in-studio take on her song Down to Zero. She used to open a lot of her 1970s concerts with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.