What are you listening to? Part III

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SandboxGeneral, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

The Divine Comedy - A Short Album About Love.

2. Tech198 macrumors G5

3. Clockworkz macrumors member

Clockworkz

Not music but is some damn fine podcasting. Matt and Mattingly's Ice Cream Social heyscoops.com

4. Mefisto macrumors 65816

Mefisto

Listening to Drunken Lullabies by Flogging Molly tonight.

5. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Friday night jazz explorations... this time around, some contemporary jazz, a just-out album from Laura Jurd: Stepping Back, Jumping In.

This is quite wonderful. Trumpets, banjos, percussion, strings, synths, may have heard a cowbell? and a possibly "prepared" piano? Well not all at once. Reminds me serially of Gershwin and Bartók and western US campfires and the Middle East so far... Bumped into mention of it in the Financial Times, which seems to have pegged the style correctly as "eclectic." Once in awhile that sub really pays off. :)

laura jurd - stepping back jumping in.jpg

Tracks are all 8 minutes or better. My listen is via Apple Music.

tracklist Jurd album 2019 Jul 19.jpg

6. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

7. Clockworkz macrumors member

Clockworkz

8. Matz Contributor

Matz

9. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

10. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

11. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

12. LizKat, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019

LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

The Balance - 2019 release by the now 84-year old South African jazz pianist Abdullah Ibrahim and his septet Ekaya. Very fine for a summer Sunday morning.

cover art - The Balance - Abdullah Ibrahim.jpg

excerpt from Larry Blumenfeld's (paywalled) WSJ review:

"In his native country, Mr. Ibrahim has long been known as both pioneer and freedom fighter. As a member of the Jazz Epistles, alongside musicians including trumpeter Hugh Masekela and saxophonist Kippie Moeketsi, he introduced local audiences to bebop’s sound, incorporating the music’s complex harmonies and swinging rhythms into Cape Town’s sound, and adapting its implicit message into the South African struggle against apartheid. His composition “Mannenberg” became an anti-apartheid anthem; he played at Nelson Mandela’s 1994 inauguration.

There are several dimensions of balance at play within this music. One concerns high and low registers, especially on a fast-paced version of Thelonious Monk’s “Skippy,” during which Cleave Guyton Jr.’s piccolo and Marshall McDonald’s baritone saxophone play prominent roles. The album’s smart sequencing balances the often-lush sound of Ekaya, the septet Mr. Ibrahim has led in various incarnations for more than 30 years, and his own commanding presence as a solo pianist on three improvised pieces.

On “Song for Sathima,” Ekaya’s reeds and horns form a church-like choir. On “Nisa,” they voice percussive counterpoint to his melody line. As did the pianists who inspired him, such as Ellington and Monk, Mr. Ibrahim offers clear direction as a bandleader with just a few notes or a well-placed chord or two. Alone at the piano, he remains a modern master—steeped in blues, with a classicist’s touch and poet’s sense of phrasing. On “Tonegawa,” named for a Japanese martial-arts guru, his graceful playing leans on equal measures of force and restraint, of dense clusters and open space."
    Here is the track "Devotion" from The Balance. (Ibrahim was once known as "Dollar Brand" in his home country.)

13. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

EUSA - Yann Tiersen.

Just arrived in the post this morning.

This is an album of solo piano pieces - with a sound reminiscent of the piano solos in the movie (and soundtrack) of Amélie.

14. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I still need to watch that movie. I think it's on HBO right now? They have so many classic songs, and Freddie Mercury has an amazing voice. Love the "Under Pressure" duo with Bowie, also one of my all-time favorites.

15. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Some Brahms quintets today. Not my usual summer fare, but the album cover struck me as I was scrolling through music on my XR and I was drawn to the clouds; they are just like the ones overhead here in the mountains today. I welcome them too, because it's about 20 degrees cooler now than it was yesterday.

So for me right now it's Jon Nakamatsu, Jon Manasse and the Tokyo String Quartet: Brahms Op 34 piano quintet, and the Op 115 clarinet quintet. It's a 2012 recording, especially interesting for having quintets from very different periods, the Op 34 when Brahms was quite young. The Op 115 was written after Brahms had already retired but was drawn back to work after hearing the clarinetist Richard Mühlfeld, for whom Brahms eventually wrote four chamber pieces.

cover art Brahms Piano Quartets Op 34 and 115.jpg

16. trillionaire macrumors regular

trillionaire

Yep, HBO is actually where I watched it. Definitely worth a look.

17. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

This was not a good film. I guess I enjoyed it much it never made much sense.

On the other hand, the score is a masterpiece. Leaves anything Hans Zimmer has done in the dust.

[​IMG]

19. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

There's also an electronic album too, but it's not to everyone's tastes. I enjoyed both.

20. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

The Alan Parson's Project LP of I Robot arrived a few days ago. It was rather dirty (bought used from Discogs.com) and has a big ass scratch on side 2. It was listed as having some surface scratches but that they "didn't overpower the music".

I received a record cleaning kit from Amazon today and washed the album and a few others and put it on. The album looks worse than it sounds, so I'm happy about that. It actually doesn't sound much different than some of my other old and used ones. It looked really rough before I washed it, but it's not so bad anymore.

I also bought an acrylic shelf to hold the album covers for my "now playing" selection. (The album cover is sideways in the photo, I know).
    IMG_20190724_170521.jpg

21. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

John Brion - Norman’s Walk (Paranorman Soundtrack)
    Mellow and calming, yet refreshing. Really like the instruments even though i cant tell what they are.

22. anika200, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019

anika200 macrumors regular

anika200

23. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy