What are your favorite old TV shows and why?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jbenn425, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

I'm 24 going on 25, and when I was a kid I used to watch old TV shows with my dad. Today, I actually enjoy these shows more than a lot of the new shows. I feel like they transport me to a different time for a half an hour. Two of my favorites are I Love Lucy and Three's Company. I can watch every episode a million times and they never get old. I also enjoy some newer old shows like Family Matters and Saved By the Bell. What are some of your favorite oldies?

2. Seniordan macrumors regular

3. Jbenn425 thread starter macrumors regular

Full House is amazing. These shows are so unbelievably corny but for some reason are just so very relaxing to watch.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I was raised on great TV shows like The Incredible Hulk, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Fall Guy, The A Team, Airwolf, Gilligan's Island, The Andy Griffith Show, Star Trek, CHIPS, Magnum P.I., The Jeffersons, The Carol Burnett Show, Knight Rider, The Cosby Show, The Wonder Years, Night Court, Three's Company, Who's the Boss, Miami Vice, Moonlighting, Remington Steele, Murphy Brown, Cheers, Bewitched, The Brady Bunch, Charlie's Angels, Different Strokes, The Dukes of Hazzard, Gomer Pyle, Get Smart, Happy Days, I Dream of Jeannie, Lassie, The Muppet Show, Sanford & Son, Welcome Back Kotter, MacGyver, Gunsmoke, The Addams Family, The Munsters, The Beverly Hilbillies, Flipper, Mr. Ed, Batman, etc. etc...

I think TV was just more simple back then.

6. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

That's a good list and I'd add: the Twilight Zone, The Dick van Dyke Show, those fabulous B&W 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents' episodes, Bonanza, Wagon Train, Love American Style, the Ed Sullivan Show, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Cannon, the Rockford files, the original 70s-80s 'Vegas' with Robert Urich, Wonder Woman, the Streets of San Francisco, Mannix, Ironside, McCloud, Barnaby Jones, Laverne & Shirley, the Facts of Life, Starsky & Hutch, Eight is enough, Hart to Hart, Father knows best, Leave it to Beaver, Quincy ME, the Partridge Family, the Waltons, the Monkees, Alice, Columbo, MacMillan & Wife, All in the Family, the Laugh-In, and as noted, Three's Company and of course, I Love Lucy.

I’d love to be able to see more re-runs of some of these shows.

7. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

In the old-old category, I used to like Hogan's Heros. In the newer-old, I'm watching West Wing and enjoying it quite a bit.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As a child, some of the US TV shows which I loved included Get Smart, Star Trek, Batman, (my brother adored Hawaii Five-O), and, in a somewhat later era, we both really liked Hill Street Blues, and, also Miami Vice. Later still, as an adult, I became a fervent admirer of Star Trek, The Next Generation, along with my mother, who loved it as well.

Sesame Street was a terrific example of public service broadcasting, and The Muppet Show was superb.

Some of the older shows I loved on British TV included The Avengers (Emma Peel was an early heroine of mine), Robin: The Hooded Man, Inspector Morse, and Taggart. There was terrific series called Kidnapped (which was an incredibly faithful and beautifully shot adaptation of the eponymous book by R. L. Stevenson - a work as a child I much preferred to Treasure Island), complete with haunting theme music, which was broadcast by British TV in the 1970s. Other old TV series which I liked included Secret Army, and Colditz. The TV series Orson Welles's Great Mysteries gripped me as a child, (check out that amazing theme music) as did Roald Dahl's Mysteries.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When I was kid (back in the 60s and 70s) I loved Star Trek, Batman (the campy Adam West one) and Voyage to the bottom of the sea, we my favorites.

10. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Do kids still watch old classics like Dick Van Dyke, The Honeymooners and Andy Griffith? Or Even Seinfeld?

11. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Maybe not the very old old ones, but I've watched more Hogans Heros, The Muppet Show, Welcome Back Kotter, Fraggle Rock, Star Trek (both the original and TNG and voyager and DS9), The A Team, the Incredible Hulk, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, the Cosby Show, the Munsters, and The Lucy Show, than I have watched TV shows made in my childhood and teens. So basically a bunch of stuff from the 70s and 80s.
    Oh yeah, add to the list I Dream of Jeannie as well as Happy Days.

12. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Amos and Andy
    Abbott and Costello
    The Three Stooges
    Topper
    The Honeymooners
    I love Lucy
    Burns and Allen
    The Jack Benny Show
    Car 54 Where Are You?
    Leave It To Beaver
    The Rifleman
    The Munsters
    Twilight Zone

Yep I'm old :)

13. Seniordan macrumors regular

14. Jbenn425 thread starter macrumors regular

Brady Bunch was playing all day on TV Land yesterday, of course I spent all day watching it.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well, we watch a lot of Frasier, but I don't know if that qualifies. If I have to reach back and imagine shows I'd still enjoy today, it would be Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dike, Get Smart, Bonanza, or maybe Cheers? I recently watched an original Star Trek episode and it seemed very dated. I loved the Three Stooges when I was a kid, but it does not really appeal to me today. Also loved the Bowery Boys repeats, but I don't think they would appeal to me today either.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I forgot to mention The Man From U.N.C.L.E. which I also thought was really great. And I rather liked The Persuaders, too.....

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Hail yeah! Can I a get a "whoa Bundy?":)

Add to that list Combat! and McHale's Navy.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

We must be a similar age. Watched most of these as a kid. The A-Team, Knight Rider and Airwolf were among my favourites. Also Dr Who and a series called manimal which I doubt anyone would remember.

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Howdy Doody

Captain Video

Dr. I-magination

Mr.Science

Rooty Kazooty

Because they were the only things on TV when I was a kid...:D

20. Peace, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The Little Rascals and/or Our Gang Comedy.
    The Andy Griffin Show
    The original Denise The Menace.
    Looney Tunes.
    The Lone Ranger.

It's not old per. se. but LOST !

Why ? Because I was a kid and TV was NEW !!

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Way too many shows to list but nothing beat the CBS Saturday night schedule in the mid-70s…

All in the Family
    The Jeffersons
    Mary Tyler Moore Show
    Bob Newhart Show
    Carol Burnett Show

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wow.. just about all of the ones that were my favourites were listed. With that, I'll add in a few more:

Mr. Ed
    Donna Reed
    Dennis the Menace
    My Three Sons
    The Monkees
    Ozzy and Harriet
    Ann Southern
    You Can't Do That On Television

It's cutesy/funny for me at my age (39) that outside of the new shows that were on at that time, most of my childhood shows I watched were on this new concept called "Nick at Nite", which came on after Nickelodeon signed off at 7pm, and had all of the TV shows my parents grew up on! So they got their 'that brings me back' memories, while they were new to me. Retro indeed.

Now, we look at TVLand (which basically is Nick at Nite), and we have the same thing happening again. Serendipity? Perhaps. :)

It took me nearly 9 seasons of NCIS to realize that David McCallum (Ducky) was the Man From U.N.C.L.E.!

Well said. And I still am waiting for someone to mention a show who has produced 4000 shows and is still going.

Below is my favourite clip. I was watching this with my children at my local Barnes and Noble one night while my wife was looking for a few books. We're laughing up a storm and causing a scene, when people started to give weird looks. I explained that it was, and they all replied that we had good taste! :D

Enjoy!

BL.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Lovely post. As it happens, I, too, adored The Monkees (and some of their music really stands the test of time if you like - and I do - that sort of Sixties sound which implies sunshine and bottomless optimism).

Funny you should mention David McCullum (whom I really liked a lot as an actor). Not only was he in The Man From U.N.C.L.E., he also starred in the TV series Kidnapped which I referred to in an earlier post (playing an amazing Alan Breck), and had a key role in the WW2 POW TV series, Colditz (largely based on a number of true stories) which I remember as a taut, tense, well-written, nuanced and very well observed (not to mention historically accurate) TV series.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

All I see in this post is this :

Anybody else ?

Attached Files:

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Youtube is down. Rumors on Twitter say they were hacked.