What are your improvements with 10.5.6?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by allbrokeup, Dec 15, 2008.

1. allbrokeup macrumors 6502

Post your improvements that you find with the Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update installed on your computer here. :D

Mine:

Finder - Version 10.5.8, No matter whether Cover Flow has loaded all the previews, the scrolling is super smooth and quick.

iTunes - Graphic Improvements, same thing with Cover Flow and List View Scrolling + iTunes Store is better looking and scrolling has been smoothed.

Mail - Accepts Mail as soon as I get it (previously, I had to wait 8 or 12 hours).

iPhoto - No longer hangs when my iPhone is connected to my Mac and loads the photos in the background.

Safari - Around 1million X quicker than before. I am on 2 mb/s connection and Mac Rumors used to take a full 5 seconds to load and then the images would take another 7 seconds. That was without P2P activity.

So what improvements have you noticed?

allbrokeup

2. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

CoverFlow in Finder's definitely faster/smoother. Um... that's it for me so far :)

3. MBX macrumors 65816

my wi-fi got slower.

every damn leopard update fixes airport for some and screws it up for others and vice versa.

i can't believe apple still didn't manage to fix the airport issues universally for everybody.

oh and another unwelcome thing: multi-touch resizing of coverflow display doesn't work anymore here! in 10.5.5 i could use two finger scaling of it and now that doesn't work! wtf?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    No airport issues for me thank goodness. I haven't really noticed any difference. Sort of a boring update for me. :(

5. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Faster charging...

A little better wifi reliability...

7. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Seems like an improvement in overall graphics performance on my early 2008 macbook with the Intel graphics Chipset Model: GMA X3100.

8. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

quicker wifi connection after waking from sleep...

but my iphone backup has failed twice now....:confused::mad:

9. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I haven't seen any difference either, albeit I've not been messing around much to find out the improvements.

No wifi connection problem though.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I've noticed a faster Safari above all, due to the updated WebKit framwork. Everything else also seems to be a little quicker than before. I have not had WiFi problems. And charging does seem to be a bit faster.

11. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I had attributed the faster Safari reports to the resetting of the cache that happens after this update.

Perhaps there is also a gain due to the TCP improvements mentioned in the release notes, although I really have no idea what those could be.

I don't think any significant improvement was made to WebKit that is improving the performance. (To the extent that it is being reported.)

12. kunze50 macrumors regular

Something about Safari has changed dramatically; I have never had it work this quick before. Prior to the update I frequently reset safari, (cleaned cache), and it wasn't bang on. I began using Firefox a lot more. I hope it stays this way!

13. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

That sounds interesting! :)

Anybody else with a plastic MB with X3100 noticed some improvements?

I couldn't update yet because of some final project stuff, but I hope I have the time to update my MB too soon,...

14. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

15. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Well....

Lets see. The wallpaper changer is still crap (works great in Tiger though). Turning off the transclucent menubar and the 3D dock brings the performance back to Tiger's level, but seriously, an 8600M GT 128 mb should be able to handle it.

I had to reboot the laptop 3-4 times for performance to be back to the level of 10.5.5

So far, I haven't seen any improvement over 10.5.5. 10.5.6 didn't offer anything new to me. I don't use mail, I don't use safari, I don't use iCal.

If Apple could fix the performance of the 8600M GT performance, I would be a happy camper. There have been a ton of times that I've considered dropping back to Tiger, but stacks has me addicted, as well as Time Machine.

16. alkar macrumors regular

am I the only one who noticed quicktime is choppy now ? Specially when running a video, the icon lags when bouncing in the dock and the beginning of a video lags too... Sometimes during playback, I noticed some frameskip... I still have Quicktime 7.4.app and I dont see any issue with it...

17. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

My OS minor version number has improved to .5.6 from .5.5...

I like the new touchpad prefpane.

18. wankey macrumors 6502a

None what so ever. Probably snappier apps but it was already satisfactory. Mail seems to be on the ball now.

Coverflow seems to be much faster... not that I cared or anything.

19. alkar macrumors regular

Guys plz check quicktime, 10.5.6 makes it slower than before.

Just launch quicktime and see how the icon makes a little lag when it bounces in Dock, and it didn't before (i still have another old quicktime app and it doesn't).

What's the prob ? Well you'll notice, most of the time when playing divx/mp4 etc that they lag for like 1sec at the beginning, and sometimes after like 1min etc.. some frameskips...

EDIT : seems it only affects 8600 and 9400/9600 users because Quicktime now use 3D acceleration...

20. mattwrit macrumors member

No improvements at all here.

All it's done has stopped me from logging on to my internet bank.

21. Daschund macrumors member

Well, what I needed most didn't happen. My airport is still crappy as ever... :-(

22. alkar macrumors regular

Ok guys it's a fact, QT 10.5.6 + NVIDIA DRIVERS 10.5.6 for all cards that can support purevideo (>8600M GT) have choppy playback in Quicktime (and choppy QT launch too).

See my video there with QT 10.5.5 and 10.5.6... And it's the same during playback, on a 45Min video, it's REALLY annoying... Notice the lag.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yilatmjjmyz

Apple has screwed up NVIDIA drivers ONCE again.

23. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I always use VLC so have not seen that, one thing I do notice though is that when I let my monitor go to sleep I get a multi-coloured static like image on the display when it wakes. Anyone seen this?

Edit: Should add 8800gt and Dell 2407wfp-hc monitor.

24. wankey macrumors 6502a

Quicktime bounces 4 times for me... is that abnormal?

25. wankey macrumors 6502a

I doubt Apple has anything to do with NVIDIA's drivers. nVidia screwed up nVidia's drivers.