What are your realistic expectations for the next iPhone? (not a wish list)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Dec 20, 2010.

1. thermal macrumors regular

What are you realistically expecting in the next iPhone?

For sure:

- 16/32/64GB
    - hardware antenna fix
    - iOS 5.0
    - End AT&T exclusivity in US
    - CDMA/GSM world chip in all new iPhones

Probably:

- upgraded cameras front and rear

2. Los macrumors regular

3. UrbanerMezei macrumors member

I want my phone to make calls and allow me to type on Facebook and Twitter. After that I don't care what else it does.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is a tough one.

Ever since the first iPhone it's been easy to make a list of "hardware the next iPhone will certainly have."

But this is the first time that I feel my lists are more software-based than hardware-based.

Will the hardware be improved? Yeah, I'm sure. But it'll be things like "faster processor" and "longer battery." Lots of adjectives this time...not so many new nouns.

I predict that iOS 5 will be far more important than the iPhone 5 is.

It's my guess that the 2012 iPhone 6 will be the next "huge leap," hardware-wise.

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

iPhone 5 won't be until like June/July, do we really need a thread this early?

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Nope. I'm more interested in the next iPad at the moment.

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

ios 5

-better camera front and back (there was rumor apple ordered 8 megapixels from sony

-world phone
    -720p out
    -speed bump in processor either by second core or cortex a9 assuming they can keep same battery

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

The iPhone is already world-capable.

9. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

sorry, i meant cdma/gsm chip

10. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Dual radio chipsets? Gotcha.

11. superdudeo macrumors regular

I can't think of anything that the current phone is slow at doing. It's inevitable that it will contain a faster processor but for what end?

12. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

I mean the iPhone isnt slow but it can definitely get faster than it is now so why not?

13. SL4VE macrumors 6502

iOS5 will bloat the software making iP4 slower i know that much

14. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

iOS 5 definitely won't run on the iPhone 3GS, it will probably run on iPhone 4 but with one of the new features (of which there will be about 5).

It'll finally be available in white. In fact, it might be only available in white..

Available exclusively on the AT&T network.

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I disagree. I think we'll (finally) see a Verizon iPhone and all of iOS 5 will work on iPhone 4 with only a few features making their way to the iPhone 3GS (iPhone 3G won't have an update). I also expect a white iPhone.

16. nutmac macrumors 68040

Hardware expectations:
    1. Doubling storage capacity (32 GB $199, 64 GB $299)
    2. White iPhone
    3. Improved antenna design
    4. NFC
    5. 5 GHz 802.11n
    6. Support for HDMI dock adapter
    7. Replace home button with trackpad-like clickable touch sensitive area

Software expecations:
    1. Home & lock screen: widgets, review notifications, automatic group categorization
    2. Multitasking: filter only active apps on multitasking taskbar, better management of resource intensive background apps, replace taskbar-based app switching with WebOS's Expose-like UI
    3. Maps: navigation
    4. MobileMe: free contact, calendar, and bookmark syncing
    5. Sound alerts: additional and custom tones for mail, text, calendar
    6. Messages: Ping support for exchanging messages and photos over data between Ping users (with receipt status like BlackBerry Messenger)
    7. Phones: ability block phone numbers, visual voicemail with text transcription and ability to delete via swipe or edit button
    8. App Store: download queue-like iTunes app, improved password management (free download shouldn't prompt for password, ability to change password prompt interval)
    9. Status bar: becomes interactive for toggling Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.
    10. Profiles: Schedule and location-based profile for tones/silent mode, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.
    11. Wireless sync: WiFi sync to Macs and PCs

OK, perhaps some are more wishes, but I do expect most to arrive since many competitors offer them.

17. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Custom SMS tones - please. Maybe? Something other than the atrocious crap they just released that would make even a sane person go mad.

18. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Those expecting to see a 64GB iPhone... not sure if that will happen. Kinda seems like Apple wants to reserve that for the iPod.

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I thought this was a thread for realistic expectations. :confused:

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

At times mine likes to think for a second. However, I don't know that Apple has the processor at full speed. I know the 3GS was underclocked.

A real must for the next model is 64GB. I understand skipping that storage bump with all the other features, but 32GB is awfully crowded on mine. I won't get the next phone unless someone just throws it to me for free, but I won't get another one that's 32GB.

I'm also thinking that my predictions of no 4G/LTE radios may have been wrong. If Verizon has coverage in a good number of cities, it may want to make a huge splash with an LTE iPhone that also does CDMA. If that's the case, you can bet AT&T will want to. But maybe that will be done on the summer revision, not when Verizon will probably offer the iPhone next month.

21. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

They're won't be a "next" iPhone until 2012-13. Apple isn't in the habit of redesigning the iPhone every year. If they make any physical changes at all in the iPhone 4 for 2011, they'll call it the 4-s or something. (this may be a 3.8" screen - very doubtful, and an antenna fix - very likely)

Otherwise, 2011 will be an OS/Software update, perhaps giving us more of what the jailbreak community has had for years (again). (Themes, please)

22. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

two questions

1) I wonder if providers will charge a premium for LTE data? like Sprint with Clearwire. I hope not, i want to keep my unlimited plan at $30

2) I wonder if Apple will feel like they need to include a dual core chip with iOS5. We all know a revamped notifications alert is coming since they hired Palms notifications expert.

23. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

There's this thing called competition that wasn't as intense when the iPhone first came out. Apple can't get by with just a couple minor upgrades, remember, unlike competitors, they bring out a new phone once a year, so the iPhone 5 has to stay competitive until summer 2012.

I think hardware wise we will likely see these changes.

1. A bump to 32/64 GB, they skipped a year upgrading storage, and prices, size constraints, and availability means 64 gigs should be coming.
    2. Ram upgrade to 768 (Hopefully).
    3. New design
    4. The dual core A9 chip since Apple is all about battery life.
    5. Better camera, I'm hoping they put image stabilization in it.

And for software.

1. A real notification system, finally!
    2. Some big changes to the os.
    3. The ability to respond to texts from anywhere just like jailbroken phones have been doing for years!

I'm sure there will be more software changes but I have no idea what they'll be.

24. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm still using a 3GS and it works great for me. I guess my expectations are much more simple than most here. Any upgrade I get from the 3GS will already have the iPhone 4 features.

- increased storage capacity. I have the 16GB right now and use just over half the space. But I think adding more storage is a reasonable expectation.

- Fix on the so-called "antenna-gate" scandal

- increased RAM. One can never go wrong by having more RAM.

I think the the iPhone 4 has a 1GHz processor, am I right? I think that is a fair amount of speed for a mobile device. I bet that if it gets increased, we'll have more issues with overheating and I don't know if they can maximize battery life any more if they go to a faster CPU.

I guess I am a simple user of the iPhone and don't expect much. So whatever Apple delivers, I am sure to enjoy it.

But as one other person mentioned above, I am more interested in the coming release of the iPad 2 right now. :)

25. AML225 macrumors regular

I'm almost positive it's 1GHz chip down clocked to 0.8GHz.