Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I am reading two on my Kindle app on my iPad:

Becoming Steve Jobs
The Lost Signal (the rise/fall of Blackberry)

Ohh, this allows me to just in on my pet curiosity. That is, reading a physical book, kindle or iPad. During the past couple of years I've gone from traditional book to iPad to Kindle. I at first was totally against e-readers but weekends away, holidays etc made an e-reader more practical. I thought iPad was the best of both worlds as you could have your whole library plus emails, web all on one device. Then I found the constant interruption of emails and always wanting to check the news too. And so I bought a Kindle.

Love the kindle, miss "real" books and still carry my iPhone. Anyway, and so to my question!; how do you find reading on your iPad? Is it a big or an mini?

Sorry for long post!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I use an iPad Air 2. But I also use the Kindle app on my iPhone (6 Plus). I also have most notifications set to banner and have gotten quite good at ignoring them.

I had a Kindle for a while but I didn't use it much, so one of my granddaughters has it now. I prefer the iPad because the backlighting negates the need for a reading lamp.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Ohh, this allows me to just in on my pet curiosity. That is, reading a physical book, kindle or iPad. During the past couple of years I've gone from traditional book to iPad to Kindle. I at first was totally against e-readers but weekends away, holidays etc made an e-reader more practical. I thought iPad was the best of both worlds as you could have your whole library plus emails, web all on one device. Then I found the constant interruption of emails and always wanting to check the news too. And so I bought a Kindle.

Love the kindle, miss "real" books and still carry my iPhone. Anyway, and so to my question!; how do you find reading on your iPad? Is it a big or an mini?

Sorry for long post!

I love reading on my Kindle. It is light weight, the battery lasts for 2-3 weeks depending on how much I read, it has a search feature, built in dictionary, built in light, and I can carry hundreds of books with me. I do read occasionally on my iPhone 6 Plus, but my Kindle is my go to device for reading.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have had an iPad and indeed, subsequently, on advice, I also bought a Kindle.

Now, I never worked out how to use the Kindle, (must get a tutorial at some stage) and I never, ever liked the iPad, and found using it to be a nuisance; indeed, I ended up giving away the two I had bought at different stages - one to each brother.

I still prefer books, but - theoretically, at least - can see the point of the Kindle.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finished Feast for Crows (Fire and Ice series), thumbs up! :D The story abruptly cuts off, but the author explains why, that it's continued in the next book, A Dance with Dragons. I've discovered that I enjoy reading on my phone more than my iPad because it's less bulky to hold.

ASOIAF-Set.jpg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have had an iPad and indeed, subsequently, on advice, I also bought a Kindle.

Now, I never worked out how to use the Kindle, (must get a tutorial at some stage) and I never, ever liked the iPad, and found using it to be a nuisance; indeed, I ended up giving away the two I had bought at different stages - one to each brother.

I still prefer books, but - theoretically, at least - can see the point of the Kindle.

Not posted to counter, but offer my perspective. And at risk of repeating myself, to each his/her own. :)

I used to be anti-electronic for books and manuals, but I have developed a preference for electronic format because for novels, paperbacks especially, my phone/iPad is less bulky to hold, I can control text size and font, I can place bookmarks for easy retrieval, and I can quickly search an electronic book. That's the appeal for me. And for general surfing and participating in forums like this, I can sit with the iPad in my lap in the family room without the bulk of a laptop.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Last week, I finished reading Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. It's a great book about the 1996 Mt. Everest disaster.

This week, I started reading The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule. It's a book about Ted Bundy, and it's really good so far.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not posted to counter, but offer my perspective. And at risk of repeating myself, to each his/her own. :)

I used to be anti-electronic for books and manuals, but I have developed a preference for electronic format because for novels, paperbacks especially, my phone/iPad is less bulky to hold, I can control text size and font, I can place bookmarks for easy retrieval, and I can quickly search an electronic book. That's the appeal for me. And for general surfing and participating in forums like this, I can sit with the iPad in my lap in the family room without the bulk of a laptop.

Absolutely; I can even envisage a situation where I might indeed become a late - and perhaps even fervent - convert to the idea of a Kindle. (Whereas I cannot ever conceive of a situation where I would want to read a book on a screen as small as that of an iPhone).

It is just that I still haven't gotten the hang of them, and, while I love reading, I also love the physical experience of holding and reading a book.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Absolutely; I can even envisage a situation where I might indeed become a late - and perhaps even fervent - convert to the idea of a Kindle. (Whereas I cannot ever conceive of a situation where I would want to read a book on a screen as small as that of an iPhone).

It is just that I still haven't gotten the hang of them, and, while I love reading, I also love the physical experience of holding and reading a book.

I do acknowledge that when using bb code in a message reply such as adding quotes, bold text, and images, the nature of iOS is more work than when using your Mac/PC. This is why the rich text default setting eases the burden a bit, but with this new software, I'm still trying to figure out how to turn some words into a hyperlink, where the url is hidden. Like trying to insert the following so that the word bbcode becomes a link.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

Update: Figured it out...

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Finished Feast for Crows (Fire and Ice series), thumbs up! :D The story abruptly cuts off, but the author explains why, that it's continued in the next book, A Dance with Dragons. I've discovered that I enjoy reading on my phone more than my iPad because it's less bulky to hold.

ASOIAF-Set.jpg

Some years ago, I read the books, and must say that I thoroughly enjoyed them; G R R Martin positively revels in his rich and complicated (and quite believable) beautifully constructed universe, and the characters are satisfyingly complex (including his women - something which is an issue in much fantasy writing).

I have been abroad so much that I never managed to catch the TV series, although I am reliably informed that it is supposed to be excellent.

However, while I am perfectly well aware that Mr Martin takes an age to write a book, I will admit to looking forward to the next book whenever it appears.

Reactions: Huntn

a.guillermo

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2015
Two days ago, I started to read "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King. I've so far in life seem to have avoided the Dark Tower series, but I'm plunging into it now. I have a hundred pages to go, and I'm really looking forward to the Drawing of the Three. This book is very confusing, however. I feel like I've been thrown into the story, in medias res, and have to assume many of the details. I'm enjoying it, though! It's good so far.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Would like some strong recommendations for Science Fiction

Along the lines of the Expanse Series, Honor Harrington Series, Ender Series, et. al.
Throw in some Fantasy-ish along the lines of the Mistborn Series as well

Prefer a series over a single book, but will take either :)

Ah, delighted you liked the Mistborn series; I thought that they were excellent, myself.

Okay, a few recommendations: Re fantasy, have you tried Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy? (It is excellent, an original and internally consistent system of magic, wonderfully interesting world building and some great characters). It also features an interesting overlap between a 1900s-1920s alternative world (resembling Britain in those years) which intersects uneasily with the magical world. The books are 'Sabriel', 'Lirael' and 'Abhorsen'.

I also liked Jonathan Stroud's trilogy, which is the Bartimaeus trilogy; again, excellent world building, some very good characters, and wildly interesting (and some very funny) alternative histories. (The books are 'The Amulet of Samarkand', 'The Golem's Eye', and 'Ptolemy's Gate'.)

Another I really liked quite a bit was the Rai-Kirah series (trilogy) by Carol Berg. These are 'Transformation', 'Revelation' and 'Restoration'. The first book is just brilliant.

And, then, there is Trudi Canavan - who has written quite a bit; however, her 'Black Magician' trilogy is the best thing that she has written.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Would like some strong recommendations for Science Fiction

Along the lines of the Expanse Series, Honor Harrington Series, Ender Series, et. al.
Throw in some Fantasy-ish along the lines of the Mistborn Series as well

Prefer a series over a single book, but will take either :)
Although "The Martian" by Andy Weir is not part of a series, (at least not at this point) I found it to be an excellent science fiction novel along the same lines as Robinson Crusoe albeit in a Mars setting. I highly recommend buying the audible Kindle whisper sync with the book, as it is terrific. Both can be had for under $10.00. It is a fun and exciting read, that is not too overly technical (re: NASA and Astronaut jargon).

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Although "The Martian" by Andy Weir is not part of a series, (at least not at this point) I found it to be an excellent science fiction novel along the same lines as Robinson Crusoe albeit in a Mars setting. I highly recommend buying the audible Kindle whisper sync with the book, as it is terrific. Both can be had for under $10.00. It is a fun and exciting read, that is not too overly technical (re: NASA and Astronaut jargon).
Yes, agreed. I really liked The Martian too and listened to the Audible version of it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just bought the "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Rigs and it's sequel 'Hollow City' to read over the weekend.....

Miss-Peregrine-Home-Peculiar-Children-Ransom-Riggs.JPG

Reactions: LadyX

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

Yes, agreed. I really liked The Martian too and listened to the Audible version of it.

Ok, The Martian it is, just picked it up through iBooks and will give it a whirl
To your point, it does sound a lot like the old '60's movie Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Still open to more suggestions as well as this book won't last me too long :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ok, The Martian it is, just picked it up through iBooks and will give it a whirl
To your point, it does sound a lot like the old '60's movie Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Still open to more suggestions as well as this book won't last me too long :)
I don't know about the Robinson Crusoe on Mars thing, but if you want a book that will last you a while, and is sci-fi, outer space type stuff, try Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star. That one took me forever to get through and I think it was over 1,000 pages!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don't know about the Robinson Crusoe on Mars thing, but if you want a book that will last you a while, and is sci-fi, outer space type stuff, try Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star. That one took me forever to get through and I think it was over 1,000 pages!
Speaking of long books, who wants to join me in tackling this highly acclaimed piece of literature? All told, it is about 4,000 pages. I have never read it, and am giving high consideration to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.