Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Maybe a little extreme!

2b9003fe109528877fba08d256410189.png

Full article.

7529efcecefc8941eb09c6b759147eea.jpg

Perhaps, yes, a bit excessive - and certainly curmudgeonly - but one can sympathise.

I detest touch-screens, and find the physical feeling and sensation of holding and reading a book a considerably more fulfilling and rewarding, than reading on a screen.

Reactions: RootBeerMan

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I thought her book on Albert Speer was a remarkable piece of work. Extraordinary. Let us know what you think of The Healing Wound (already have a copy in my "basket" in anticipation of a favourable review!

Suffice to say, recommended.

And extremely interesting. Some of it overlaps - or fleshes out - some of the 'grace notes' in the Speer book; some of it deals with separate but related (to the world of the Third Reich) matters. Very interesting and thought-provoking.

Her book on Speer is one of the very best books I have read on the world of the Third Reich (and there is a vast body of literature available on that subject matter).

Reactions: AVBeatMan

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Suffice to say, recommended.

And extremely interesting. Some of it overlaps - or fleshes out - some of the 'grace notes' in the Speer book; some of it deals with separate but related (to the world of the Third Reich) matters. Very interesting and thought-provoking.

Her book on Speer is one of the very best books I have read on the world of the Third Reich (and there is a vast body of literature available on that subject matter).

Ordered.

The sheer joy of books, of newspapers, of TV, Film, booze and music, Music! Relaxation to me is a good sleep, a brisk walk to pick up my newspapers, fresh coffee, a period of reading a book, a nice cup of tea, listening to some music, be it rock, rock n roll or classical, or country or jazz, then some more coffee, then some TV, maybe a film along with some booze of choice and off to bed feeling nice and mellow and the thought that one doesn’t have to get up early in the morning! Bliss!

Oops! Forgot to mention food!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ordered.

The sheer joy of books, of newspapers, of TV, Film, booze and music, Music! Relaxation to me is a good sleep, a brisk walk to pick up my newspapers, fresh coffee, a period of reading a book, a nice cup of tea, listening to some music, be it rock, rock n roll or classical, or country or jazz, then some more coffee, then some TV, maybe a film along with some booze of choice and off to bed feeling nice and mellow and the thought that one doesn’t have to get up early in the morning! Bliss!

Oops! Forgot to mention food!

Yes, many of my most appreciated and enjoyed and richly savoured pleasures are pretty similar, I must agree.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I do.

Newspapers, books, concerts, music, coffee, cosy pubs, booze (fine wines, artisan beers) serious dining, museums, coffee shops, book stores, - yes, this is civilisation.

Then there’s travel, technology, the seasons (love spring and autumn) and shopping. The list is almost (thankfully) endless. Makes you glad to be alive!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Then there’s travel, technology, the seasons (love spring and autumn) and shopping. The list is almost (thankfully) endless. Makes you glad to be alive!

Travel, yes. Agreed.

As a kid, I always wanted to travel and see the world for myself.

Technology is amazing - and transformational - but I try to ensure that I rule it, rather than having it rule me.

Seasons: Until I worked in the tropics - where they don't do seasons - I hadn't realised that I rather liked them.

Some shopping - in small, family owned stores - I love, others I can take or leave. But, yes, it is nice to have choice.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Travel, yes. Agreed.

As a kid, I always wanted to travel and see the world for myself.

Technology is amazing - and transformational - but I try to ensure that I rule it, rather than having it rule me.

Seasons: Until I worked in the tropics - where they don't do seasons - I hadn't realised that I rather liked them.

Some shopping - in small, family owned stores - I love, others I can take or leave. But, yes, it is nice to have choice.

Back on track, have you read Albert Speer’s book “Inside the third Reich”? I have a copy somewhere but never got round to reading it. It somehow doesn’t appeal to me to read something by such a man.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Back on track, have you read Albert Speer’s book “Inside the third Reich”? I have a copy somewhere but never got round to reading it. It somehow doesn’t appeal to me to read something by such a man.

No.

However, if you have the book, I'rd recommend taking a look at it; if I tripped over it, I'd certainly read it, but I would not seek it out.

I've read Alan Bulloch on Hitler (an early but good book), William Shirer's - The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (my present - requested by me - for my twelfth birthday; my parents, bless them, just bought it - they were well used to - and very encouraging of, - my interest in history and science) - an excellent book (yes, I had read it before I started second level), Joachim Fest's "Hitler" (the first post war German biography - a very fine book, written in the late 70s, it wasn't translated into English until the early 80s - Fest is referred to in Sereny's book on Speer, he did some research and asked questions of Speer), and, of course, Ian Kershaw's more recent book - one of my students gave me a gift of the first volume - which is excellent.

Anyway, there comes a time when you look at your shelves - three rooms in my mother's house are covered - floor to ceiling with shelves containing my books, with others in crates, on sofas, busy breeding - and you see all these biographies of Hitler and Stalin, and communism, and economic collapses, and you think, really, do I want any more of these books, there is only so much one wants to read about these guys, do I want to look like a complete psycho (as well as a professional historian)?

Years later - in my teaching days, (as an academic, among other things, I taught Soviet, Russian and central & eastern European history, not German history, but, of course, I am well versed in the latter) at one of those ancient universities - I was asked (because I was known to be a good teacher, someone who could hold the attention of a class in such a way that they would enjoy the class) to take part in the modern European historical section of an access programme for (sort of mature - i.e. second chance, somewhat older) students from less well off backgrounds, a sort of academic pre-degree course introductory smorgasbord to tempt them with the delights of what they could hope to study at a formal university degree programme, as well as teach them how to research, use libraries, write essays and so on:

My own brief could not have been more enjoyable - I was asked to give a few classes on Hitler and Stalin - compare and contrast - and to make it as rollicking and sexy and exciting as I could, in essence, to show them that the study of history could be exciting and interesting and fun.

Forget analysis - this was to capture attention and tempt palates for potential academic study (sort of like the stuff Jamie Oliver did with his school a few years later, or, a little like Educating Rita). With this sort of raw material, frankly, you couldn't miss and I hugely enjoyed myself, and the students did, too.
[doublepost=1534540354][/doublepost]
Having a fun time reading Terry Pratchett's "The Wyrd Sisters".

41B90C6eq0L._SX277_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That has to be one of the funniest, cleverest, most sidesplittingly hilarious books I have ever read. Love it, love it, love it.

I even told my students to read it, and told them that in the next life, - or when I grow up - whichever comes first, or sooner - I want to be (or channel, or come back as) Granny Weatherwax.

Last edited:
Reactions: AVBeatMan

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
No.

However, if you have the book, I'rd recommend taking a look at it; if I tripped over it, I'd certainly read it, but I would not seek it out.

I've read Alan Bulloch on Hitler (an early but good book), William Shirer's - The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (my present - requested by me - for my twelfth birthday; my parents, bless them, just bought it - they were well used to - and very encouraging of, - my interest in history and science) - an excellent book (yes, I had read it before I started second level), Joachim Fest's "Hitler" (the first post war German biography - a very fine book, written in the late 70s, it wasn't translated into English until the early 80s - Fest is referred to in Sereny's book on Speer, he did some research and asked questions of Speer), and, of course, Ian Kershaw's more recent book - one of my students gave me a gift of the first volume - which is excellent.

Anyway, there comes a time when you look at your shelves - three rooms in my mother's house are covered - floor to ceiling with shelves containing my books, with others in crates, on sofas, busy breeding - and you see all these biographies of Hitler and Stalin, and communism, and economic collapses, and you think, really, do I want any more of these books, there is only so much one wants to read about these guys, do I want to look like a complete psycho (as well as a professional historian)?

Years later - in my teaching days, (as an academic, among other things, I taught Soviet, Russian and central & eastern European history, not German history, but, of course, I am well versed in the latter) at one of those ancient universities - I was asked (because I was known to be a good teacher, someone who could hold the attention of a class in such a way that they would enjoy the class) to take part in the modern European historical section of an access programme for (sort of mature - i.e. second chance, somewhat older) students from less well off backgrounds, a sort of academic pre-degree course introductory smorgasbord to tempt them with the delights of what they could hope to study at a formal university degree programme, as well as teach them how to research, use libraries, write essays and so on:

My own brief could not have been more enjoyable - I was asked to give a few classes on Hitler and Stalin - compare and contrast - and to make it as rollicking and sexy and exciting as I could, in essence, to show them that the study of history could be exciting and interesting and fun.

Forget analysis - this was to capture attention and tempt palates for potential academic study (sort of like the stuff Jamie Oliver did with his school a few years later, or, a little like Educating Rita). With this sort of raw material, frankly, you couldn't miss and I hugely enjoyed myself, and the students did, too.
[doublepost=1534542608][/doublepost]
No.

[doublepost=1534540354][/doublepost]

That has to be one of the funniest, cleverest, most sidesplittingly hilarious books I have ever read. Love it, love it, love it.

I even told my students to read it, and told them that in the next life, - or when I grow up - whichever comes first, or sooner - I want to be (or channel, or come back as) Granny Weatherwax.

Some more welcome recommendations!
I’ve always been fascinated with World War 2. I can’t remember where my interest began, probably old films, boys comics and TV shows like Colditz. Over the past couple of years I have visited Berlin and Krakow. The experience of a trip to Auschwitz and Birkenau were unbelievable. That something so horrific actually happened was, …I cannot put into words. I knew what went on there but to actually stand and walk the same paths that those poor souls took was an unforgettable experience and even writing this now brings sadness to me. And then to visit Berlin where you can see the power and the wealth of the past. You can “feel” the obliviousness of what was going on, in those old buildings. It is quite an experience.

I guess World War 2 is still relatively recent, especially to those (like me) in their 50’s and older. My fascination with World War 2 has expanded to World War 1, which is another unbelievable war.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
[doublepost=1534542608][/doublepost]

Some more welcome recommendations!
I’ve always been fascinated with World War 2. I can’t remember where my interest began, probably old films, boys comics and TV shows like Colditz. Over the past couple of years I have visited Berlin and Krakow. The experience of a trip to Auschwitz and Birkenau were unbelievable. That something so horrific actually happened was, …I cannot put into words. I knew what went on there but to actually stand and walk the same paths that those poor souls took was an unforgettable experience and even writing this now brings sadness to me. And then to visit Berlin where you can see the power and the wealth of the past. You can “feel” the obliviousness of what was going on, in those old buildings. It is quite an experience.

I guess World War 2 is still relatively recent, especially to those (like me) in their 50’s and older. My fascination with World War 2 has expanded to World War 1, which is another unbelievable war.

Did you ever watch "Secret Army"?

Unfortunately, it was overshadowed by "'Allo Allo", but - if you look into it - (as with Foyle's War, another series I loved) every single episode depicted something that happened at that time in the war.

In Foyle's War, not everything depicted happened in Hastings; likewise, in Secret Army, not everything took place in Brussels. But the stories and timelines depicted are accurate.

Krakow and Auschwitz, I have visited, in the 1990s. And yes, I had the same feelings - rooms where suitcases, and glasses - I wear glasses - were kept. Oooof.

Re WW2, I had an aunt, my mother's oldest sister, who was an officer in the WAAF; her husband, a FLt-Lt with the RAF, Coastal Command, (a pilot) was killed with his entire crew in November 1943, six months after they were married.

He had first proposed three years earlier - Blitz time, I think - but she had turned him down, - I never learned why - then, two years later, after something else (or someone else) had not worked out or had broken up, she thought to phone him, as she had always enjoyed his company.

Within months, they married, and madly adored one another (as is clear from photos, which I have, and letters) . After her death, in 2000, (there was a second husband - who died in the late 1970s - he had worked in Bletchley Park), I inherited her first husband's "wings", their photo album, letters, his pencil case, and ring, which she had had adapted and had worn until her death and which I wear now.

Last edited:

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes
Lightning Boys by Richard Pike
Six Days of War by Michael Oren

I typically read several at a time. I read whatever one suits the mood I find myself in or if I find there’s one I can’t put down.

S

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Philip Caputo's novel about the Sudan. Acts of Faith (2005).

PhilipCaputoActsOfFaith-CoverArt.png

A cast of hundreds, or thousands it sometimes feels like, and maybe that's closer to the truth. Looking out from the viewpoint of post colonial Sudanese enmeshed in serial civil wars and surviving (or, not) on luck of the draw, or the fortune of being the object of yet another NGO's earnest attentions... for awhile... The do gooders of the world may have some accounting to do in the hereafter... for having got distracted, corrupted, or co-opted. Truth put to fiction could hardly be more clear.

Couldn't put the book down for all its flaws (too long, needs better edit, dialogue not his forte). Caputo knows the now two Sudans of which he wrote while they were one but at lethal unease. Not his best novel but it can break your heart anyway or maybe that's just Sudan's fate bound to do that. I prefer Caputo's nonfiction as it more suits his journalistic background, but will likely choose to read through this novel again over winter, while I still have some of its sprawling structures and relationships half stored in memory.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Philip Caputo's novel about the Sudan. Acts of Faith (2005).

A cast of hundreds, or thousands it sometimes feels like, and maybe that's closer to the truth. Looking out from the viewpoint of post colonial Sudanese enmeshed in serial civil wars and surviving (or, not) on luck of the draw, or the fortune of being the object of yet another NGO's earnest attentions... for awhile... The do gooders of the world may have some accounting to do in the hereafter... for having got distracted, corrupted, or co-opted. Truth put to fiction could hardly be more clear.

Couldn't put the book down for all its flaws (too long, needs better edit, dialogue not his forte). Caputo knows the now two Sudans of which he wrote while they were one but at lethal unease. Not his best novel but it can break your heart anyway or maybe that's just Sudan's fate bound to do that. I prefer Caputo's nonfiction as it more suits his journalistic background, but will likely choose to read through this novel again over winter, while I still have some of its sprawling structures and relationships half stored in memory.

Has he writes anything good - as a journalist - about the Sudan? That would interest me.

I've read too many works of fiction by male journalists who have worked in war zones - it becomes very trying, the clichés, the cardboard characters, - some of them really should stick to facts, or their perception of facts.

Not everyone who writes for a living can become a good novelist.

Having said that, the short story may lend itself to such tales; you are capturing a vignette, rather than something over-arching (which requires an intimate knowledge of the subject matter if you are to pull it off successfully).

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Maybe a little extreme!

2b9003fe109528877fba08d256410189.png

Full article.

7529efcecefc8941eb09c6b759147eea.jpg

Wow, guy sounds like a lot of fun to be around... Well if he bought the e-reader he destroyed more power to him. I happen to love my Kindle and I like it more than physical reading books. But again this is a big preference thing and some people feel the complete opposite.

I do like reading my graphic novels via traditional book form though. Although, that is somewhat changing now that I have a larger iPad.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Finished City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett; this is an excellent and very well written fantasy work - it features terrific world-building, a first rate plot and story, and superb characters (including impressively strong female characters).

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Has he writes anything good - as a journalist - about the Sudan? That would interest me.

I've read too many works of fiction by male journalists who have worked in war zones - it becomes very trying, the clichés, the cardboard characters, - some of them really should stick to facts, or their perception of facts.

Not everyone who writes for a living can become a good novelist.

Having said that, the short story may lend itself to such tales; you are capturing a vignette, rather than something over-arching (which requires an intimate knowledge of the subject matter if you are to pull it off successfully).

I think Caputo has not written book-length nonfiction specifically about Sudan. He did some reporting for National Geographic in 2000-2001 from Somalia and Sudan, including covering some interesting UN-umbrellaed cargo flights which may or may not have carried only or exactly what was on the manifests, etc., etc. He does have some memoir-based work out, some of it a mix of fiction and personal recollection, about time spent on military service or jobs in Vietnam, Africa, Middle East. He has reported on the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, and about the ebb and flow of immigration-related chaos at the US-Mexican border.

Caputo’s accounts of experiences in Beirut are chilling, and when encountered by a reader in more recent times, unavoidably call to mind what happened to Daniel Pearl later on, except that Pearl didn’t get out. Those near-miss experiences were apparently enough to set Caputo to thinking about his own mortality and to turn down a few offers to report again from Afghanistan, recalling that just the terrain nearly defeated him when he was 38, so how great could it be trying it on again at 61. He splits his time now between Arizona and Connecticut.

In general I’d agree with your post on the not always successful transition to fiction from journalism. In Caputo’s case what carries the writing --past the flaws I had noted in the earlier post-- is that he writes from such a keen eye for physical detail. Could be the way grass or sand moves in the wind or the way wrinkles fall in different clothing in different environments, or how someone stands while leaning against a railing or a wall. You can imagine it, sure. If you are about detail and have been there, it shows.

Somehow that does keep at least key characters from being “cardboard”, to the point where those misses on dialogue matter less, and I’m drawn into the reality that Caputo is trying to project. Not too shabby for a number of scenes where people are just standing around talking... which as I’m sure you know can seem to be a lot of what goes on “forever” in countries subject at once to erratic or organized violence, interventions by assorted levels of local or tribal rule, foreign governments and NGOs, all layered over people simply trying to get from a dawn to a nightfall in a place where nothing is simple, nor easy.

There’s no attempt by Caputo to make anyone or any concept -- particularly the net value of NGOs struggling to help pick up the pieces of endless wars-- play out on a higher plane than those we manage in reality, even in unruffled places and times. His characters are out there dealing with each day as an entity with a mind of its own and however it seems to choose to unfurl. That he creates that sense of randomness of life arising to destroy its own plans is part of what helps hold the novel together.

So, we get glimpses of special graces and capabilities, along with unadorned observations of selfishness, sexism, racism, duplicity, generosity, bravery, humility, pride, regret, bragadoccio... and true acts of faith for good or evil, depending on who’s looking. Another pass through that book by a good editor (and probably a more compliant Caputo lol) could improve it but I did enjoy it enough to keep it instead of putting it in the hand-along basket.

I loved a brief scene where a character was inquiring of --ribbing, actually-- a female flight engineer (who was also an experienced bush pilot and the owner of the plane they were about to board) about whether instead of just continuing on as air transport for hire and putting up with the uncertainties, the dangers of sub-Saharan Africa, she hadn’t just dug in and built up that little private airline company because she figured the ongoing strife in Sudan was going to let her retire in good style someday?

How Caputo described her look then, and the beat of silence, might have been typical characterization as response for that sort of insult. So those were there, but then Caputo threw in something I hadn’t expected: the guy’s gesture extending the silence: arms half outspread, palms up. Not apologetic; annoyed she had tried to call him on it without answering, and so challenging her silence.

I liked that it was up to me to decide who really called out whom there. In real life, we know both parties can walk away from that stuff and call it a win but mostly because we cannot truly know each other’s interior motives. In Acts of Faith, the moment was a microcosm of operations in the cynical, altruistic, opportunistic environment generated in conflict zones amid the sufferings of vulnerable populations. It was also, in an entirely casual segue from one scene to another, a glimpse at the engines of the entire novel.

You raised a good point about sexism. I'll sometimes give a pass to what seems a sexist characterization of opposite gender. But: only where it seems like it’s the fictional character doing the describing, not the author’s attitude as overlay. Where it’s more clearly the latter, and it’s recurrent throughout the book, well, that can cause me to flip the book into my recycle box on the back porch.

I hasten to say I can feel this way about books written by women as well, with respect to the way they write about men, or have a female character relate to a male. The latter can lend realism if it’s sexist but suits the character being drawn, the former is a sign of “cardboard city” and doesn’t usually send me looking for more books by same writer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.