What Book Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Zenithal macrumors 604

I recall reading a report that stated the bulk of young-adult readers were adults in their late 30s to their 40s. Which makes sense seeing as reading among youth is down compared to a decade prior and even before. Even with the advent of smart phones and Kindles, they don't read as much.

The book buying habits of various demographics are incredibly interesting and so deeply ingrained that they don't change much year over year, even after a decade of ebooks becoming more common. Ignoring the 2000s and the silly Sony reader.

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

The first two are books by the president and CEO of a local company with whom is a vendor of mine. I read these this week and thought they were decent. The second one of his books, about how to buy technology, relates to the 9-1-1 phone systems in the US. I actually gave it to my new Systems Administrator because it was a good primer into this business that he know needs to know about.

Human Energy: An Innovative Guide to Building a World-Class Business

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 11.50.48 AM.png

How to Buy Technology: NG9-1-1 Recording and Dispatch Improvement
    Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 11.50.35 AM.png

7 Moments that Define Excellent Leaders
    Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 11.50.13 AM.png

4. Diazepam macrumors member

Diazepam

5. Dave Meadows macrumors 68040

Dave Meadows

Has anyone read “The First World War; A New History” by Hew Strachan? If so do you recommend it?

6. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

A Tale of Love and Darkness, Amos Oz (rip)

Where the Jackels Howl and Between Friends are on order.

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Really liked A Tale of Love and Darkness. I'm reading some more Oz now, Judas, and next up, Dear Zealots. Oz was one of those writers when I read he had passed away first thing came into my head was just "oh, no..."

Focus at the moment though is on a totally amazing YA book should be tagged "for all ages," Elizabeth Acevedo's The Poet X. Honestly I will be bleary eyed and may have to read it all again a few times for not being able to put it down. If you like slam poetry then imagine a novel made of it; the reading becomes watching a feisty girl become a strong woman, and watching an irrepressible poet become the essence of unforgettable poetry.

cover art - Elizabeth Acevedo - The Poet X.jpg

8. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

@LizKat - thank you. I don’t recognize Acevedo but will will soon. Thank you again..

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Have been re-reading The Hobbit, slowly, in bed, some of these past few nights.

I like Bilbo as much as ever (he is possibly my favourite character out of Tolkien's entire oeuvre of work, and I would have loved for him - rather than Frodo - to have been the hero of The Lord of the Rings) and have found myself disliking the dwarves more than I did when first I read this work in the mid 1980s. Gandalf, of course, rocks.

10. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

LOL maybe I bumped into the dwarves too soon... could never get a handle on the The Hobbit.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

They were greedy, entitled, selfish, cowardly, and - in terms of the challenge. or quest, that they had set themselves and for which they had recruited Bilbo - extraordinarily short-sighted and horribly ready to sacrifice companions when danger arose while busily blaming others for their (many) shortcomings.

I have discovered a surprisingly deep dislike of dwarves as portrayed in this work (and still love Bilbo).

12. pachyderm, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

Agreed.

I may go back and scratch out Frodo's name and write in Bilbo's in my copy of the trilogies...

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I finished The Hobbit last night, and like Bilbo more than ever while retaining my admiration, respect and affection for Gandalf.

And, am nurturing a deep dislike for those selfish gold-mad dwarves.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

Cal Newport - author of the AMAZING Deep Work and So Good They Can't Ignore You - delivers another homerun with his Digital Minimalism. This is really a no nonsense approach to one of the biggest problems we face now. I loved his discussion on the importance of solitude (which is not meant as physical solitude; no need to hide in a cave up in the Himalayas).
    (Picture below is not mine... I have an iPhone X :) ).

[​IMG]

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Winter of the World (Book 2 of the Century Trilogy)- A good read about a group of families interrelated starting in the early 20th Century (Book 1), this book, continues during the build up to WWII, with story settings in the US, UK, Germany, and Russia. Fascinating and horrifying what is going on in Germany. I did not realize the U.K. had a strong Facism movement in the days of Hitler as Chancellor (I think) and leading up to and into WWII. Highly recommended!

58F5667D-93C6-4733-A3A1-6EEDC1A0456F.jpeg

17. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Just started reading The Rape of Europa: The Fate of Europe's Treasures in the Third Reich and the Second World War by Lynn Nicholas

I haven't seen the documentary but I am more interested in the book at this point.

18. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

The Art of the Con: The Most Notorious Fakes, Frauds, and Forgeries in the Art World, Anthony Amore

Devious. Ingenious. Ingenuous.
    Thoroughly enjoyable.

[​IMG]

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ken Follett wrote one outstanding book, "The Pillars of the Earth"; to my mind, nothing he wrote before or since has come close.

That sounds fascinating.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Children of Earth and Sky - Guy Gavriel Kay.

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Some short stories by Willa Cather. You could swear you're in the prairie after a little while reading her characters' experience of sky, grasses, creeks, soil and the sweat it took to try to farm in Nebraska in frontier times. She really draws one in with her characters and their tiny communities in the Great Plains.

Willa Cather - cover art.jpg

22. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Apparently I decided I needed two of the same book. Maybe I’ll read it twice.

7EA66882-67D8-4ED2-935B-830B37C48C7B.jpeg

23. Zenithal macrumors 604

Let me guess, Amazon?

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ouch.

Must admit that I have done this, too.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2019 at 1:51 AM ---
    And, possibly, alcohol.

25. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Lol! Classic!