Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I am one of those people who are not thrilled about the plastic back, but I have moved on. I think what bothers me more is the fact that ATT has jacked up their rates by another $15/month.

I think if they kept the price the same as with the first generation Iphone, there would be alot more buzz about it.

So does the design, or lack of improvements bother you, or the raised pricing?

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I am one of those people who are not thrilled about the plastic back, but I have moved on. I think what bothers me more is the fact that ATT has jacked up their rates by another $15/month.

I think if they kept the price the same as with the first generation Iphone, there would be alot more buzz about it.

I have to say that two things converged to cement my decision to get a v1 phone: 1. plastic back and 2. July 11th release.

I don't believe that the plastic will ever look as elegant as the aluminum case, and I didn't want to wait any longer to get an iPhone, certainly not another month. I also wanted to use Internet, etc while on vacation in early July, so July 11th didn't meet the cut.

Jude

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Jude ni disrespect, but I think you will regret that. When u see the new phone, see the difference in Internet speeds, all for essentially the same cost, u will wish u had waited.

bbwinkle

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Jude ni disrespect, but I think you will regret that. When u see the new phone, see the difference in Internet speeds, all for essentially the same cost, u will wish u had waited.

I thought the same when it first was announced. But then when I read more about it and found out it would cost more in the long run, the internet speeds didn't really give me that excuse to pay that much more.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I thought that they were just adding $10 to the data plan, from $20 to $30. Where did they add the other $5?

Geffen

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
Michigan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I thought that they were just adding $10 to the data plan, from $20 to $30. Where did they add the other $5?

It appears the 3G data plan will be $30 plus $5 for text messages the old 2G data plan included text messages and the 2G data plan is $20

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I can understand the decision by some not to upgrade from a version 1 iPhone to a version 2 immediately. I find it simply mind boggling that someone would choose to buy a version 1 now, following the 3G announcement. I don't want to wait until July 11th either, but wow, the new one is only weeks away. Perhaps you SUSPECT that you will not like the new styling as much, but one cannot question the superior specs and lower price (yes, I know service increase some).

Of course everyone's decision factors are their own.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
i am so sick of people complaining about the increased price of the data plan.. ITS STANDERD for ATAT. If you want to keep the old data plan, buy an iPhone 1 and use edge speeds.

When we all went from dial up to high speed internet there was bit of a price increase right?

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
I'm mostly bothered by the fact that there will be no GoPhone option, and that there is no 3G coverage where I live. Signing a 2 year contract just for GPS? No thanks.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The design doesn't bother me, but I don't like the plastic. My iPhone is cold when I pick it up. I like that.

People complaining about the lack of improvements bothers me. "Y NO % MEGPIX CAMRA W/FLASH & OPTICAL ZOOM?!" "Why not a front-facing camera?" (which is a stupid idea, anyway)

AT&T's pricing bothers me, but AT&T as an ideology bothers me.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
The plastic doesn't bother me as much as the price increase.

What really really bothers me is the apparent disconnect between Apple, AT&T and the consumers. I feel like there is some sort of fight or divorce proceedings going on between Apple and AT&T and the consumers are the children in the middle.

You CANNOT find iPhone mentioned on the AT&T website unless you seriously dive into the site. There is NO AT&T promotion. Seems odd to me. If I was paying Apple to let me be the exclusive iPhone carrier for 5 years, I would be mentioning it everywhere i could on my website.... just like AT&T did when iPhone 1 was announced last year (it was not even yet released).

The WWDC keynote left more questions than answers... Apple and AT&T have issued contradictory statements about certain aspects of iPhone and activation. This is quite unusual for Apple who scripts and plans EVERYTHING. Something tells me there is going to be a real cluster-f at the time of iPhone 3G's release due to activation issues. A lot of people are going to have egg on their faces.

Shoddy marketing from Apple-- are they spread too thin? Is Jobs really not in control due to health concerns? Is this a deliberate strategy by Apple to somehow dissolve the AT&T relationship and make AT&T look foolish? I just don't get it.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
You CANNOT find iPhone mentioned on the AT&T website unless you seriously dive into the site. There is NO AT&T promotion. Seems odd to me. If I was paying Apple to let me be the exclusive iPhone carrier for 5 years, I would be mentioning it everywhere i could on my website.... just like AT&T did when iPhone 1 was announced last year (it was not even yet released).

Huh? The iPhone is clearly listed on the side of the AT&T wireless site.

Picture 2.png

The plastic back, it looks good in the ads but I loved the aluminum look.

AT&T has simply brought the iPhone up to the smartphone level - where it should've been all along. Their mistake was creating a whole new plan/pricing structure for the iPhone when they could have just treated it like a Blackberry, Blackjack, etc. and there would have been less problems on everyone's part.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I would be happy if I had Unlimited Data + Unlimited Texting plan for $80, but I guess that's just in my dreams.

I'm not really disappointed with the iPhone design though, since it will probably be in a sleek case for most of the time.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Well, price doesn't really bother me.

While I dislike the plastic back, there's really nothing I can do. I use the internet out of Wi-Fi too much and I'm too dependent on a GPS.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Huh? The iPhone is clearly listed on the side of the AT&T wireless site.

View attachment 120884

The plastic back, it looks good in the ads but I loved the aluminum look.

AT&T has simply brought the iPhone up to the smartphone level - where it should've been all along. Their mistake was creating a whole new plan/pricing structure for the iPhone when they could have just treated it like a Blackberry, Blackjack, etc. and there would have been less problems on everyone's part.

Can you magnify the right side of the page you posted? I think I might recognize the shape of what appears to be an iPhone on the page. It's hard to tell with the big Nokias and Sony Ericsson's dominating the frame. :)

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
I would be happy if I had Unlimited Data + Unlimited Texting plan for $80, but I guess that's just in my dreams.

You can get unlimited data and texting for $50... :confused:

Add the cheapest voice plan to that, and it's $90 a month.

I think the thing that has bothered me the most is all the complaining on this site. Never thought so many people could bitch and moan.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The WWDC keynote left more questions than answers... Apple and AT&T have issued contradictory statements about certain aspects of iPhone and activation. This is quite unusual for Apple who scripts and plans EVERYTHING. Something tells me there is going to be a real cluster-f at the time of iPhone 3G's release due to activation issues. A lot of people are going to have egg on their faces.
Were you around for the launch of the original iPhone?

Did you know that AT&T and Apple employees didn't get to touch the device, learn how to sell it in POS, how to handle returns, how to answer customer questions, setup working displays, etc until 2PM the day of the launch... a whole 4 hours before the 6PM launch?

If you were around for that and follow Apple enough to know that "everything's scripted and planned", I'm wondering how you can say "it's quite unusual" to have so little information when there's still almost three weeks left until launch?!?!

Promotional buzz, yes, but AT&T would make no money.

For the original iPhone, the special data they created ($20) lost them $360 over 24 months for every iPhone customer.

For the iPhone 3G, they're losing $325 so that they can resell the phone to consumers for $199. I really don't think they're going to lose that PLUS lose another $360 in a special data plan.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
i am so sick of people complaining about the increased price of the data plan.. ITS STANDERD for ATAT. If you want to keep the old data plan, buy an iPhone 1 and use edge speeds.

When we all went from dial up to high speed internet there was bit of a price increase right?

The pricing for the plan is standard, but that's where it ends. Not 100% sure, but the old edge plan was not mandatory, like if you planned to use wifi only and just signed up for a voice plan, or you were at least allowed to cancel the data plan later.

But not this $30 plan, it's mandatory, no data, no iPhone, so that already locks you into $720 extra for 2 years even if you don't have 3G in your area and plan to use wifi 90% of the time.

And, again, not 100% sure, I think the edge plan is gone forever, even if you have the older iphone bought off ebay, signing up a new contract you only have the 3G plan to choose from.

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
I think everyone's opinions will change once they get it in their hands. In a couple weeks there will be all kinds of threads saying "I love the plastic back!"

yode

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2007
Los Angeles
I think everyone's opinions will change once they get it in their hands. In a couple weeks there will be all kinds of threads saying "I love the plastic back!"

+1

There are too many speculative threads being made on a phone that hasn't come out yet. Wait people, you will see that Apple is not making a 'budget' phone, just be patient!

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
What the back is made of makes no difference to me.

The costs to operate it are a little more than I was hoping for, but from what I understand it is comparable to other smartphone/pda's.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I actually like the plastic back, including the white one. I hear it also is for better reception and of course cheaper but o well.

I definitely am more disappointed in the price increase.....at least give us some texts for free!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The pricing for the plan is standard, but that's where it ends. Not 100% sure, but the old edge plan was not mandatory, like if you planned to use wifi only and just signed up for a voice plan, or you were at least allowed to cancel the data plan later.

But not this $30 plan, it's mandatory, no data, no iPhone, so that already locks you into $720 extra for 2 years even if you don't have 3G in your area and plan to use wifi 90% of the time.

And, again, not 100% sure, I think the edge plan is gone forever, even if you have the older iphone bought off ebay, signing up a new contract you only have the 3G plan to choose from.
Are you sure the $30 plan is for 3G? They're selling some other EDGE only Smartphones/PDAs that require the $30 plan, too.

It's like their new thing is $30 for all Smartphones (regardless of whether it's EDGE or 3G) and the cheaper data plans for any regular phone that can do data (like the Moto Q, etc)

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
What bothers me THE MOST!

What bothers me the most is people like you on these forums. You have never seen the iPhone 3g in person or held it, so how can you comment on the plastic back? This iPhone has more antennas and a GPS chip which need great reception, and everyone who HAS held the new iPhone says that it feels remarkably well built and made out of great materials. They say the plastic feels like very high quality.

Also, the price raise makes the iPhone the EXACT SAME PLAN PRICE AS ANY OTHER SMARTPHONE! The original iPhone got a DISCOUNT on the plan price because it was 600 dollars at first, and because it was only EDGE.

What bothers me about the new iphone is lack of stereo bluetooth and lack of horizontal keyboard, but I'll deal with it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
What bothers me the most is people like you on these forums. You have never seen the iPhone 3g in person or held it, so how can you comment on the plastic back? This iPhone has more antennas and a GPS chip which need great reception, and everyone who HAS held the new iPhone says that it feels remarkably well built and made out of great materials. They say the plastic feels like very high quality.

Also, the price raise makes the iPhone the EXACT SAME PLAN PRICE AS ANY OTHER SMARTPHONE! The original iPhone got a DISCOUNT on the plan price because it was 600 dollars at first, and because it was only EDGE.

What bothers me about the new iphone is lack of stereo bluetooth and lack of horizontal keyboard, but I'll deal with it.

AMEN!:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.