Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Let's imagine this scenario; what if, design wise, we are going from version 2 to version 1 instead of the other way around.

How many of the version 1 owning "plastic is budget" people do you think would instead say, "ew, that two tone look is so budget"

Not all, of course, but I bet the "whatihaveisgreatandidontwantyournewdevicetomakemefeellikeiamlesscool" people would be all over that.

The right answer would be the same. Buy what you like, not what you don't, and why don't you wait and actually hold the device before rendering final judgement.

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
The price of the iPhone 3G is $199.
$199 is 1/2 the cost of $399.

The price of the iPhone has nothing to do with the rate plans required. You're thinking TCO (total cost of ownership). That's not called "price".

A consumer cannot walk up to an Apple store and purchase one for $199, there are strings attached...now who is bull headed? I would say there are some of "you" out there that would pay $500/month for the service just to have the latest and greatest iPhone.

doug0365

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
What bothers me the most is people like you on these forums. You have never seen the iPhone 3g in person or held it, so how can you comment on the plastic back? This iPhone has more antennas and a GPS chip which need great reception, and everyone who HAS held the new iPhone says that it feels remarkably well built and made out of great materials. They say the plastic feels like very high quality.

Also, the price raise makes the iPhone the EXACT SAME PLAN PRICE AS ANY OTHER SMARTPHONE! The original iPhone got a DISCOUNT on the plan price because it was 600 dollars at first, and because it was only EDGE.

What bothers me about the new iphone is lack of stereo bluetooth and lack of horizontal keyboard, but I'll deal with it.

Its Ignorant people like you with comments like this that bother me.. :mad: The Original phone got a discount! LOL Says who??? Always giving APPLE/ATT bennefit of the doubt to screw us with higher DATA plans just because the Iphone now comes with 3g!! Give me a freaking break here.. people make it seem like the iphone is the first phone to come out with 3g so its ok for ATT to up the data price.. Its all a marketing scheme to rip people off... Let me ask you this Why is it that ATT Claims to say that when buying a phone You MUST have a the 30$ PDA data service plan, instead of the cheaper 15$ media net unlimted or your phone won't work with the cheaper plan but you can use the Mediaunlimited package for 15$ and have access to 3G and all the service features that supposely PDA package for half the price!!!!! and you have the nerve to get mad at the people complaining for higher data rates!! I would rather pay a higher one time fee for the phone then to have a higher monthly cost that doesn't get any lower to have your supposed DISCOUNT on the iphone.. Get F*** out here!!!

Kupe

macrumors member
May 25, 2008
how can you say that when Apple is claiming the iphone is half the price when in reality it is going to cost MORE than it was to own a gen. 1 iPhone. Im pretty sure you are the one being bull-headed. The fact that Apple themselves are marketing a phone saying its half the price when in fact it isnt, is not like apple imo.
Wow - you must get really upset when you pick up a "free" phone from AT&T only to find out a month later that those bastages are billing you standard monthly rates for your standard phone. How unfair! :rolleyes:

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Let's imagine this scenario; what if, design wise, we are going from version 2 to version 1 instead of the other way around.

How many of the version 1 owning "plastic is budget" people do you think would instead say, "ew, that two tone look is so budget"

Not all, of course, but I bet the "whatihaveisgreatandidontwantyournewdevicetomakemefeellikeiamlesscool" people would be all over that.

The right answer would be the same. Buy what you like, not what you don't, and why don't you wait and actually hold the device before rendering final judgement.

At least I got a dock the first time...

J

jmadlena

I would rather pay a higher one time fee for the phone then to have a higher monthly cost that doesn't get any lower to have your supposed DISCOUNT on the iphone.. Get F*** out here!!!

Duh? I think everybody would like to pay a one time higher fee, which is what first generation iPhone owners had. Looks likes you may have missed the boat on that one. If you do have an iPhone, keep it! Stay with the lower data rate.

The point is, AT&T is a business, and their goal is to make money. You are the consumer, your goal is to consume products and services at the lowest cost. It is up to you to weigh the pros and cons of a purchase. Only you can decide if the 3G iPhone is worth $30/month or not. If it isn't, great! Move on and find something else.

No one is responsible for your happiness but you. Get over yourself. Every other Blackberry owner on AT&T pays the same rate, so don't make it look like poor iPhone owners are getting ripped off.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Duh? I think everybody would like to pay a one time higher fee, which is what first generation iPhone owners had. Looks likes you may have missed the boat on that one. If you do have an iPhone, keep it! Stay with the lower data rate.

The point is, AT&T is a business, and their goal is to make money. You are the consumer, your goal is to consume products and services at the lowest cost. It is up to you to weigh the pros and cons of a purchase. Only you can decide if the 3G iPhone is worth $30/month or not. If it isn't, great! Move on and find something else.

No one is responsible for your happiness but you. Get over yourself. Every other Blackberry owner on AT&T pays the same rate, so don't make it look like poor iPhone owners are getting ripped off.

look on the bright side, we at least get a free paperclip with our purchase. that should save you roughly $4.32 in a gallon of gas making a Target run for one.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
people make it seem like the iphone is the first phone to come out with 3g so its ok for ATT to up the data price.. Its all a marketing scheme to rip people off... Let me ask you this Why is it that ATT Claims to say that when buying a phone You MUST have a the 30$ PDA data service plan, instead of the cheaper 15$ media net unlimted

Although many people have worked around the loop hole of using the Media Unlimited for $15 on a non PDA phone, AT&T is really starting to crack down.

AT&T didnt raise the price, its back to where it suppose to be, just like any other PDA phones. You dont hear anyone on Tilt, Treo, BB etc Forum bitching and whining about iPhone users only having to $20 instead of $30 for the data plan.

doug0365

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008

Your right ATT is a business and trying to make money.. and your right about its up to the consumer to decided if they want to pay or not but what I don't agree is people trying to justify the higher prices by defending ATT/APPLE when the truth there is no reason to up the data plans because of techinicall reasons but for them to make money. If you want the new Iphone you have to get the new rate and thats fine but dont sit there and b*tch at people who do try to get the most out there money and feed them BS reasons why they should be ok with it

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
What bothers me the most is people like you on these forums. You have never seen the iPhone 3g in person or held it, so how can you comment on the plastic back? This iPhone has more antennas and a GPS chip which need great reception, and everyone who HAS held the new iPhone says that it feels remarkably well built and made out of great materials. They say the plastic feels like very high quality.

Also, the price raise makes the iPhone the EXACT SAME PLAN PRICE AS ANY OTHER SMARTPHONE! The original iPhone got a DISCOUNT on the plan price because it was 600 dollars at first, and because it was only EDGE.

What bothers me about the new iphone is lack of stereo bluetooth and lack of horizontal keyboard, but I'll deal with it.

Besides, what are virtually all other phones made of these days.

J

jmadlena

Your right ATT is a business and trying to make money.. and your right about its up to the consumer to decided if they want to pay or not but what I don't agree is people trying to justify the higher prices by defending ATT/APPLE when the truth there is no reason to up the data plans because of techinicall reasons but for them to make money. If you want the new Iphone you have to get the new rate and thats fine but dont sit there and b*tch at people who do try to get the most out there money and feed them BS reasons why they should be ok with it

I'm not the one "b*tching," and I'm also not the one saying everyone should be fine with it. If you aren't fine with it, don't buy the iPhone. There, problem solved. No one is forcing you to buy anything, and you shouldn't expect to pay less than everyone else does for data plan. To expect such is unreasonable.

And I think it is alright for AT&T to charge a bit more for 3G. You know why? Because it's faster! You get more than you did before, so they are in the right to charge a bit more. If that is unreasonable to you, again, don't buy the new iPhone.

Did you know that AT&T Spends money to get the 3G infrastructure up? It isn't just installing some software and voila, faster data! They have to invest real money to get 3G infrastructure up to snuff, and investors expect a return on that investment.

Also, isn't it obvious that iPhone owners browse online more? And since the iPhone is now 3G, that is even more data. AT&T is well within their rights to charge more for 3G data usage. And all consumers are well within their right to pass on the iPhone.

You heard it here first, folks: Consumers can pass on the iPhone if they find it unacceptable.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I have an issue with both of these complaints.

It is widely believed the change to a plastic case was to help facilitate reception. Until we know that is not the case, I can't say that the change is a negative at all but is instead a HUGE positive over the original iPhone.

As for the plan. It is what it is. They did not raise the rate. The 3G iPhone uses a different plan then the Edge phone. The plan the 3G iPhone uses has existed before there ever was an iPhone and the price is the same now as it was 2 years ago. So saying they jacked up the monthly rate is simply innacurate. It is a different product they have put on a different plan. Is the plan more expensive? Yes. But no price was raised. All the prices are the same as they were 12 months ago.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Its Ignorant people like you with comments like this that bother me.. :mad: The Original phone got a discount! LOL Says who???

Well, every other smartphone is charge 30 bucks/month for unlimited data.
The iPhone got unlimited data plus 200 sms for 20 bucks/month.
I'd say that's special treatment and a lower price (a.k.a. ''Discount") for the iPhone compared to other smartphones...:rolleyes:

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
You CANNOT find iPhone mentioned on the AT&T website unless you seriously dive into the site. There is NO AT&T promotion. Seems odd to me. If I was paying Apple to let me be the exclusive iPhone carrier for 5 years, I would be mentioning it everywhere i could on my website....

That is because you don't have a full understanding on how the Cell companies do business.

AT&T's only goal with their wireless business is to get people committed to their network. They don't care how, what or why. All they want to do is to get sign-ups and 2 year contracts.

Advertising a phone that is not available does not help them at all. Unlike Apple, if you go into an AT&T store and they are out of stock of an iPhone they will try to sell you another phone. Again their ONLY objective is to get the sign up. The phones are simply a means to that end. Right now they have probably 20 phones available and ready to sign people up with... Putting a phone on there that people can't buy would keep people from signing up.

Instead they keep signing people up with phones they can actually use, and then when the iPhone is actually available you will see them promote it. Again the phone, any phone, is simply a means to a contract. In AT&T's eyes the iPhone is not that much more special except they hope it to bring in a lot of new customers. But again, if someone is looking at AT&T today, they want to sign them up today. Not in 3 weeks. So they got to get them hooked on one of the phones they have available.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
the truth there is no reason to up the data plans because of techinicall reasons but for them to make money.
Doug, AT&T is subsidizing the price of the iPhone 3G by $325-$350 dollars.

That's "no reason"?

Maybe we just have higher expectations than others?
In regards to your higher expectation about the data plan prices, if it helps any, T-Mobile appears to meet them. :)

J

jmadlena

The response was to "if you do cannot afford it, do not buy it"

If by M.I.T, you mean high school, then yes. Apparently the people complaining about the NORMAL data rates need to graduate before they complain all over the forums.

If the 3G iPhone isn't worth $30/month, don't get it.

If you'd like, I offer this course at 'M.I.T' for only $199 registration fee and $30 per session.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
That is because you don't have a full understanding on how the Cell companies do business.

AT&T's only goal with their wireless business is to get people committed to their network. They don't care how, what or why. All they want to do is to get sign-ups and 2 year contracts.

Advertising a phone that is not available does not help them at all. Unlike Apple, if you go into an AT&T store and they are out of stock of an iPhone they will try to sell you another phone. Again their ONLY objective is to get the sign up. The phones are simply a means to that end. Right now they have probably 20 phones available and ready to sign people up with... Putting a phone on there that people can't buy would keep people from signing up.

Instead they keep signing people up with phones they can actually use, and then when the iPhone is actually available you will see them promote it. Again the phone, any phone, is simply a means to a contract. In AT&T's eyes the iPhone is not that much more special except they hope it to bring in a lot of new customers. But again, if someone is looking at AT&T today, they want to sign them up today. Not in 3 weeks. So they got to get them hooked on one of the phones they have available.

I stand corrected-- great post. Makes complete sense.

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
If by M.I.T, you mean high school, then yes. Apparently the people complaining about the NORMAL data rates need to graduate before they complain all over the forums.

If the 3G iPhone isn't worth $30/month, don't get it.

If you'd like, I offer this course at 'M.I.T' for only $199 registration fee and $30 per session.

If you think it is fair for a company to raise your cost 75% overnight, then you need the education, not me.

I am not an Apple or ATT apologist nor do I pretend to be one. I call it as I see it. There is a reason ATT is ranked near or at the bottom of EVERY customer service poll and or survey.

I am glad there are some people out there that think they are getting a deal for a downgraded phone, (yes, plastic back and lack of a dock is a downgrade) as well as a large increase in monthly rates, and a 3G network that covers less than 5% of the US......I am not one of them.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
If you think it is fair for a company to raise your cost 75% overnight, then you need the education, not me.

I am not an Apple or ATT apologist nor do I pretend to be one. I call it as I see it. There is a reason ATT is ranked near or at the bottom of EVERY customer service poll and or survey.

I am glad there are some people out there that think they are getting a deal for a downgraded phone, (yes, plastic back and lack of a dock is a downgrade) as well as a large increase in monthly rates, and a 3G network that covers less than 5% of the US......I am not one of them.

HA! Downgrade... that's almost as good as BUDGET. seriously people. Call 1-800-get-clue. as far as pricing confusion, given the above statement, I don't even know where to start... I think not starting is probably a better bet.

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
HA! Downgrade... that's almost as good as BUDGET. seriously people. Call 1-800-get-clue. as far as pricing confusion, given the above statement, I don't even know where to start... I think not starting is probably a better bet.

$20 Data on 7.10.08 to $35 on 7.11.08 is a nice price hike. I do not care if you agree with my opinion, but the price hike is a large one based on %.

I like the new iPhone, I just think it could have been done much better, that is all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.