Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OddMacFan

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
Sounds to me like you haven’t taken the time to learn the workflows or touch shortcuts. I was like that once. Lots of these things take a long time because you don’t know the best way to do them, just like learning any new OS or interface. Your presentation problem is easily solved by using multitouch to make multiple selections on the slide, for example. Hold a finger on the first selection and while
You are holding it, tap on other elements, they will be added to the selection and then you can cut, copy and paste them grouped up just like you want.

I’ve often used my phone for copying and pasting elements from one word doc to another, which is super convenient because the clip board is automatically shared between the devices.

Unfortunately, the issue isn’t learning new workflows, the issue is that the available workflows on the iPad are generally terribly inefficient when compared with a desktop operating system. There are some things which I think are better—for example, I think it’s easier to focus on a particular task without distractions; I actually like Split View for working with two windows or apps; and certain things like iCloud Keychain, autofill, and similar features appear to be more polished and less glitchy than on macOS. If iOS on the iPad provided more core system services to the end user—like a file manager, cursor support, and a decent printing system—that would do wonders for productivity.

I’m fairly sure that I know most of the tricks. Multitouch to select multiple elements doesn’t work when you’re trying to select a diagram on a slide, and that diagram contains maybe 20-30 tiny lines and other elements which aren’t grouped together. You can’t even select them to group them and then move the grouped element. Sometimes, there are text boxes or other elements which aren’t easily visible or mostly overlap other elements, so you might select *most* of the elements but miss some which you now have to fix. Even if you could figure out a way to zoom in to all of the elements while simultaneously holding down the first touch to select everything that way, it would take exponentially longer than a 2 second click & drag to select just what you want with the mouse or trackpad on a laptop. Also, PowerPoint on iOS apparently doesn’t permit you to select multiple slides to move or delete—you have to do it one at a time.

I am somewhat amused by the number of folks complaining that they can’t run software development workloads on the iPad. I would never even suspect that an iPad (or any type of tablet PC) would be the proper device for that type of work. However, that is not the work that most folks are using desktops or laptops to accomplish. My point above is meant to illustrate that even rather simple office-type business tasks can’t be efficiently completed on the iPad, or can’t be completed on the iPad at all.

With regard to the iPhone, I’m not sure how people use them for any significant work apart from email and texting. When I had the iPad 3 LTE, I carried a flip phone. I now have an iPhone, which is with me all the time and lets me do much more in a pinch—but anything that the iPhone can do, the iPad can generally do better because of the larger screen. However, the iPad is a minor and not a major upgrade from the phone, because the core functionality is basically the same. Think about how crazy it is that you are suggesting using *two* devices to copy and paste between documents of the same application. That’s just another symptom of the rather severe limitations of iOS versus a desktop operating system (and assuming I have all documents stored on one device, it isn’t super convenient, either).

Again, I do like the iPad, but I sure wish that Apple would considerably enhance the capabilities of iOS on the iPad platform.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I also purchased an Apple Pencil, which I suspect won’t be used for much other than the very occasional signature or the rare need to mark up documents by hand. Still not sure whether I’m going to keep the Pencil.
If it’s going to be used rarely and just for those purposes, I personally wouldn’t waste the money on a pencil. I’d just get a cheap $5 stylus.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
I cannot:

• Create paragraph styles in MS Word - use them yes, create/edit no
  • Move photo albums into a folder
  • Add custom MP3s to Music
  • Move playlists in Music around and add them to folders
  • Change the colour of a tag in Files
  • Organise folders in Notes
  • Delete a calendar invite without notifying the sender
  • Assign keywords and titles to photos
  • Create smart mailboxes in Mail
  • Change MP3 tags for music in Music
  • Create smart playlists in Music
  • Open 2 word documents in Word side by side
  • Create contact groups and assign contacts to them
  • Compress a Keynote document
  • See file extensions in Files
Just some random examples

Hanson Eigilson

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
What Can't you do on your iPad Pro ?
I just can't seem to do anything but the most base productivity tasks effectively on an iPad, and even for that it's annoying and cumbersome to work with.
IMO it's mostly good for small kids that doesn't have academic ambitions, old people that just cant figure anything out, Netflix and doodles, sorry.

Reactions: DragonX and Altis

OddMacFan

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
If it’s going to be used rarely and just for those purposes, I personally wouldn’t waste the money on a pencil. I’d just get a cheap $5 stylus.

There might be other occasional uses, but I’m not an artist or someone who would use the Pencil as part of a daily workflow. On the other hand, I’ve not found the rubber-tipped cheap styli to work well enough to warrant carrying them around. The Pencil does work well, but I prefer to type when I can.

I thought about sacrificing the Pencil and putting that money toward the iPP 11, but for all the testing I’ve done with the 11, I just can’t convince myself that it’s worth another $250 over what I paid for the 10.5 (and I’d be going from 256G to 64G of local storage.)

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
My perspective is not having to try to make the iPad the only computing device you own, but rather making it the only portable one you need. The surface pro is a bad tablet and a mediocre laptop. The rMB is a nice little laptop, but doesn’t deliver, if a magical tablet experience is what you use most. The iPad, with RDP or Jump Desktop is actually a better laptop experience than the surface pro. If we’re talking about what the iPad can’t do, there isn’t really very much to talk about as long as you are not discussing about it in the context of being a solitary computing device. Combined with a RDP to either a physical Remote Desktop or a virtual environment on a server (or both!) it is a sickenly awesome capable device.
That is exactly what I have achieved with my iPad pro. Right now I have a 15" MBP for office use, a 12" MB for travel and then an 11" iPad Pro. With updates in iOS and especially app updates, I'm now at the point where I can use my iPad pro for 95% of what I do. That is enough to bring neither my MBP or MB when I'm away from the office. For the last 5% I can use my MBP, and I will probably not replace the 12" MB when it gets too outdated.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Just want to be clear that I am not trying to be an iPad apologist here, and am fully on board with most of the things people have frustrations with or the limitations.

I have found, for me personally, that on the few occasions where I need it, that using the iPad as a thin client terminal via Remote Desktop has been awesome (Microsoft RDP and Jump Desktop) and every bit as productive as natively running W10 or macOS 10.14.

This is where my usage lies - I don't expect the iPad to replace my 27" iMac and Lacie Big 5 20TB RAID setup, or my corporate W10 virtual desktop.

What I do expect it to do is replace my 13" MBP that I used to access those systems anyway. So I get the much more intuitive and enjoyable, and yes, pretty magical, experience of the iPad multitouch tablet experience, along with the "traditional" computing experience when I need it.

That's the real power flexibility for me - the beauty of iPad is that it actually can be both.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I just can't seem to do anything but the most base productivity tasks effectively on an iPad, and even for that it's annoying and cumbersome to work with.
IMO it's mostly good for small kids that doesn't have academic ambitions, old people that just cant figure anything out, Netflix and doodles, sorry.

Some of my need such as 3D rendering will likely never be met by the iPad hardware while 3D modelling would. However, I benchedmarked video export from keynote and surprisingly, the export was quicker on my iPad 1 Pro Gen than on an 8-core mac pro!

My biggest concern is not be able to open two instances of the same app. The workarounds in each app such a PDF expert and notability is different and it would be far easier with as system wide approach. Marking text could be much easier as well: Imaging the two finger curser to move to desired text, drop a third finger and drag to make a selection. The two fingers to cursor could be systemwide as well and not only when the keyboard is up making it easier to select other things such as files, pixels in images or whatever else. What is also irritating is navigating in text without and arrow keys. Make these in the software keyboard.

No need to be offensive or superior over iPad users as it makes the debate climate bad. I am certainly not a kid and I am an academic at at university which indicate quite strongly that I have some academic ambitions. I use an iPad every day for note taking, giving lectures, reading and annotating theses, making keynote presentation, travelling etc because it is more convenient and rapid to use compared to using my mac. An arrogant poster would claim that this is not "real work" as it is mostly consumption of material produced by others.

Hanson Eigilson

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
No need to be offensive or superior over iPad users as it makes the debate climate bad. I am certainly not a kid and I am an academic at at university which indicate quite strongly that I have some academic ambitions. I use an iPad every day for note taking, giving lectures, reading and annotating theses, making keynote presentation, travelling etc because it is more convenient and rapid to use compared to using my mac. An arrogant poster would claim that this is not "real work" as it is mostly consumption of material produced by others.
I'm not saying your job belongs in "old people, Netflix and doodles" categories, your job is important I'm certain.
But I am saying that it's the strong sides of the iPad as it is now, and possibly those strong sides come through for your job in convenient consumption, fast doodles and not much hassle or cognitive load doing it.

For kids with academic ambitions it's just a dodgy proposition to go the iPad way, but it's better than trying to manage with just your phone I guess. For most if not all productivity heavy work the iPad is just a sad story.

Where the iPad does better is very tailored applications, that holds the hands of confused users and steer them right, there is a lot less cognitive load and that is a large advantage for people where cognitive load might be a special challenge. But that is not the way it is marketed, and it is not the way fans present it.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Unfortunately, the issue isn’t learning new workflows, the issue is that the available workflows on the iPad are generally terribly inefficient when compared with a desktop operating system. There are some things which I think are better—for example, I think it’s easier to focus on a particular task without distractions; I actually like Split View for working with two windows or apps; and certain things like iCloud Keychain, autofill, and similar features appear to be more polished and less glitchy than on macOS. If iOS on the iPad provided more core system services to the end user—like a file manager, cursor support, and a decent printing system—that would do wonders for productivity.

I’m fairly sure that I know most of the tricks. Multitouch to select multiple elements doesn’t work when you’re trying to select a diagram on a slide, and that diagram contains maybe 20-30 tiny lines and other elements which aren’t grouped together. You can’t even select them to group them and then move the grouped element. Sometimes, there are text boxes or other elements which aren’t easily visible or mostly overlap other elements, so you might select *most* of the elements but miss some which you now have to fix. Even if you could figure out a way to zoom in to all of the elements while simultaneously holding down the first touch to select everything that way, it would take exponentially longer than a 2 second click & drag to select just what you want with the mouse or trackpad on a laptop. Also, PowerPoint on iOS apparently doesn’t permit you to select multiple slides to move or delete—you have to do it one at a time.

I am somewhat amused by the number of folks complaining that they can’t run software development workloads on the iPad. I would never even suspect that an iPad (or any type of tablet PC) would be the proper device for that type of work. However, that is not the work that most folks are using desktops or laptops to accomplish. My point above is meant to illustrate that even rather simple office-type business tasks can’t be efficiently completed on the iPad, or can’t be completed on the iPad at all.

With regard to the iPhone, I’m not sure how people use them for any significant work apart from email and texting. When I had the iPad 3 LTE, I carried a flip phone. I now have an iPhone, which is with me all the time and lets me do much more in a pinch—but anything that the iPhone can do, the iPad can generally do better because of the larger screen. However, the iPad is a minor and not a major upgrade from the phone, because the core functionality is basically the same. Think about how crazy it is that you are suggesting using *two* devices to copy and paste between documents of the same application. That’s just another symptom of the rather severe limitations of iOS versus a desktop operating system (and assuming I have all documents stored on one device, it isn’t super convenient, either).

Again, I do like the iPad, but I sure wish that Apple would considerably enhance the capabilities of iOS on the iPad platform.

You know, I'm so desperate for mouse/trackpad support on iOS (I love the tablet form factor), I'd even accept limited "Only in Our Garden®" support. Meaning, no mouse or trackpad support is enabled unless you are remoting back into a macOS computer. I'd take it. Hell, 'Back to My Mac' for proper Excel support? Being able to sit in a café and run Visual Studio Code or XCode? Forget merely acceptance, I'd cheer and weep with joy.

It would keep the iPad an iPad for the contingent that don't want the iOS experience to be denegrated by anything that distracts from the touch first user experience.

It would provide a viable solution for those of us that also love iOS, but need mouse/trackpad support for those types of applications that are extremely difficult to optimize for touch.

It would further strengthen the Apple ecosystem without weakening either iOS or macOS.

I call this The Great Compromise of 2019. May it come to pass and may Jobs bless iOS 13.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You know, I'm so desperate for mouse/trackpad support on iOS (I love the tablet form factor), I'd even accept limited "Only in Our Garden®" support. Meaning, no mouse or trackpad support is enabled unless you are remoting back into a macOS computer. I'd take it. Hell, 'Back to My Mac' for proper Excel support? Being able to sit in a café and run Visual Studio Code or XCode? Forget merely acceptance, I'd cheer and weep with joy.

It would keep the iPad an iPad for the contingent that don't want the iOS experience to be denegrated by anything that distracts from the touch first user experience.

It would provide a viable solution for those of us that also love iOS, but need mouse/trackpad support for those types of applications that are extremely difficult to optimize for touch.

It would further strengthen the Apple ecosystem without weakening either iOS or macOS.

I call this The Great Compromise of 2019. May it come to pass and may Jobs bless iOS 13.

That functionality is essentially available now with Jump Desktop and the Citrix Mouse. I don't see it as a compromise at all.

Reactions: jeremiah256

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
ah, but I think most people looking for iOS mouse support are looking for that support for use with local applications.
I'd love for that, too. But, I don't see Apple being in the mood to make any drastic moves in 2019. By the way, can the Citrix X1 Mouse be used as a regular mouse (PC or Mac)?

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
I don’t think it can as it interfaces with the Citrix Receiver running on iOS.
Thanks - I never looked too deeply into either the Citrix X1 or Jump Desk before since my Mac is always in sleep mode if I'm not at home. But, I'm also on the move more lately so I may need to do give them another look.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The limitations are really in the apps, not the device's capabilities. But here is one:

I own a music production company, and spend lots of time uploading and downloading sound files to/from FTP sites. Documents by Readdle has been a great app for this, and it works flawlessly. However, when I download WAV files, I need to check the sampling rate to see if they are 44.1 or 48kHz, and then I need to see if they are 16-bit or 24-bit. Sometimes I will have 40 or 50 files to check at one time, and I have yet to find a solution on the iPad to do this, and even on the Mac it is cumbersome. On a Windows PC, I can just open the folder up in Windows Explorer, change the view settings to add the columns I need to see, and then just browse down the list of all 40 or 50 files and check them in a minute or two.

I'd love if there was some sort of app to do this on an iPad, but the best I have found is one that lets me open one file at a time and check it -- not a very time efficient way of doing things.

You posted this in2017 & I’m very curious if you or anyone else found an app or two that worked harmoniously to do this task?!??

Thx

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

Sorry, but that’s a every condescending view to take about the iPad. It’s the same sort of statement you frequently get when people are talking about what makes someone a “pro” user or not.

There’s loads of people out there doing amazing things with iPads. The iPad might not work for your particular use case or workflow, but I bet you’d be amazed and what some people are doing with them.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I am really considering moving to the Surface Pro 6. I love the iPad but I just started my Masters Program and I am finding that I need both the MacBook Air and iPad Pro to accomplish many things. This is an online program so the ability to write on the screen is a big time saver.

The iPad Pro seems to have some bugs with writing inside Word on docs. Characters sometimes disappear in Word when writing and the pencil will go between write and erase causing issues. On a timed exam it makes thing nerve racking.

Plus the limitations in Excel.

Anyone make the switch?

Hmmm...

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I am really considering moving to the Surface Pro 6. I love the iPad but I just started my Masters Program and I am finding that I need both the MacBook Air and iPad Pro to accomplish many things. This is an online program so the ability to write on the screen is a big time saver.

The iPad Pro seems to have some bugs with writing inside Word on docs. Characters sometimes disappear in Word when writing and the pencil will go between write and erase causing issues. On a timed exam it makes thing nerve racking.

Plus the limitations in Excel.

Anyone make the switch?

Hmmm...
You could disable the double-tap feature to prevent accidentally switching between write and erase. :)

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
When using Word (or really any word processor), editing a document is painful because you don't have a mouse. Cutting and pasting text works fine, but selecting it is ridiculous. I would normally have three or four documents open at once on my computer and easily edit across them all, but making small changes on the iPad is tedious and frustrating because there is no easy way to select text.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Its not possible to edit and manage Facebook ads properly. This is crazy annoying as it’s such a simple “office” task that shouldn’t require a MacBook!

Hanson Eigilson

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Sorry, but that’s a every condescending view to take about the iPad. It’s the same sort of statement you frequently get when people are talking about what makes someone a “pro” user or not.

There’s loads of people out there doing amazing things with iPads. The iPad might not work for your particular use case or workflow, but I bet you’d be amazed and what some people are doing with them.
Yeah, there are tons of people doing amazing things with iPads, considering their overall level of cognition. I think it's demeaning to the people with challenges to pretend like they have none, and it's an insult to push iPads upon well functioning children above a certain age.

Reactions: secretk

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I cannot:

• Create paragraph styles in MS Word - use them yes, create/edit no
  • Move photo albums into a folder
  • Add custom MP3s to Music
  • Move playlists in Music around and add them to folders
  • Change the colour of a tag in Files
  • Organise folders in Notes
  • Delete a calendar invite without notifying the sender
  • Assign keywords and titles to photos
  • Create smart mailboxes in Mail
  • Change MP3 tags for music in Music
  • Create smart playlists in Music
  • Open 2 word documents in Word side by side
  • Create contact groups and assign contacts to them
  • Compress a Keynote document
  • See file extensions in Files
Just some random examples
That list is not "random" at all — it is very specific. Random means without definite aim, direction, rule, or method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.