Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kovich

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2015
Anyone born in the last 15 years can't even read an analog clock. :(

What is analog?

Joking apart I do remember when digital radio was being talked about in the UK shortly after cable TV had become digital (five years on from mobile phones becoming digital) I had a client genuinely ask me if computers were going to go digital as well.

glxyjones

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Wow! You couldn't be more wrong. Thank God that you didn't run Apple.

He was slightly off but I do agree, 1 great choice and 999,999 bad choices are better than no choice at all, with a few caveats. One, (and I'm sure Apple would do this) the interaction of a watch API with the rest of the internals/data of the watch has to be limited to only what it needs. Perhaps the API would allow the developer to build the customization placeholders (weather, calendar, etc.) into their design. Second, the watch faces should be treated with as much scrutiny for approval as their iOS apps. Finally, allow users to interact with a watch face via the App store or iTunes before buying to make sure they can weed through the crappy ones.

"Leaving it to Apple" is something that could have been said when the original iPhone came out without an app store. Yes, Apple makes incredible apps and there are an incredible amount of really crappy apps in there by developers who don't know anything, but there are a few which exceed Apple's own apps. Perhaps there's a developer/designer out there who has an idea for a watch face that will blow Apple's out of the water.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
He was slightly off but I do agree, 1 great choice and 999,999 bad choices are better than no choice at all, with a few caveats. One, (and I'm sure Apple would do this) the interaction of a watch API with the rest of the internals/data of the watch has to be limited to only what it needs. Perhaps the API would allow the developer to build the customization placeholders (weather, calendar, etc.) into their design. Second, the watch faces should be treated with as much scrutiny for approval as their iOS apps. Finally, allow users to interact with a watch face via the App store or iTunes before buying to make sure they can weed through the crappy ones.

"Leaving it to Apple" is something that could have been said when the original iPhone came out without an app store. Yes, Apple makes incredible apps and there are an incredible amount of really crappy apps in there by developers who don't know anything, but there are a few which exceed Apple's own apps. Perhaps there's a developer/designer out there who has an idea for a watch face that will blow Apple's out of the water.

He was way off. If people have to browse through 999,999 lousy watch faces they will be so pissed at Apple. That's why design need time and attention, not just putting something out there just to have it. This is never an Apple policy and thank God we have a company that think like this.
I'm not against 3rd party watch faces. I'm against freely giving the space to absolutely anyone. There must be walled garden.

glxyjones

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
He was way off. If people have to browse through 999,999 lousy watch faces they will be so pissed at Apple. That's why design need time and attention, not just putting something out there just to have it. This is never an Apple policy and thank God we have a company that think like this.
I'm not against 3rd party watch faces. I'm against freely giving the space to absolutely anyone. There must be walled garden.

And given Apple's fairly stringent approval policy for the app store, why would you think the watch faces wouldn't be? Also, design quality is a matter of opinion and just because I don't want a watch face featuring Justin Bieber in place of Mickey, doesn't mean there are thousands of users out there that wouldn't. The biggest problem the Google and Windows stores have is their lack of quality control and inability to weed through the crap. I don't think Apple would ever let that happen if they opened up on the watch faces to developers.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I imagine these are a couple we will see.

25564-minnie-watch-face-500x500.JPG

25547_0.png

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Haha! I imagine this is the one Jack would wear, 42mm Link Bracelet, as I saw similar in the series.

Yes, that'd be awesome!

----------

I think Apple would allow third-party clock faces, but not this year, the next.

They done this with Touch ID (the first year devs were locked out to the API and the second year, they got access).

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
But I just wonder, with opinion like that why do you bother with Apple?

Just think...when you hit puberty maybe you'll be able to have opinions too.
Or will you have to ask Apple what opinions you are allowed to have ?

Grow up.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Just think...when you hit puberty maybe you'll be able to have opinions too.
Or will you have to ask Apple what opinions you are allowed to have ?

Grow up.

Your reading comprehension is really bad. Maybe you still in puberty? (hint: I don't have any problem with his opinion)

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I love simplicity, (reason why I buy Movado watches) The cleaner the face, while allowing me to tell time is perfection. The clean watch face Cook showed in the March event seems to be the best looking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.