Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Console and Games are you getting holiday 2020?

• Microsoft XBox One X or S (2020 closeout)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Atari VCS (fingers Crossed)

• Intellivision Amiico

• Total voters

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Ideally, I wanted to buy a PS5 all digital, but first, 667Gb of free storage is not enough for me. Second, the console is huge in size.

When the console is smaller (APU @5nm) and the storage larger, I will get the PS5. Until then, I will keep enjoying my little reactor, the PS4 Pro, hoping it won’t take off.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Looking forward to playing Last Guardian (finally!) and Star Wars Squadrons

(Supposedly the disc/physical version of Last Guardian (which has not been updated over the net on your console), will run at 60fps, while the digital & updated version will run at 30 fps).

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Looking forward to playing Last Guardian (finally!) and Star Wars Squadrons

(Supposedly the disc/physical version of Last Guardian (which has not been updated over the net on your console), will run at 60fps, while the digital & updated version will run at 30 fps).
Really? I actually bought that game (physical) but haven't played it yet.

edit: That's so interesting. So you'd have to make sure the game didn't update.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
You won't believe it but yesterday my request for a COD Cold War refund was granted. :eek:

It was a digital purchase but from now on i will buy expensive titles as physical copies.

Maybe it's because I have two kids but FPS games are not for me any more. After putting the kids down I want to kick back and relax.

Compared with 5-10 years ago, GPS games are just too competitive and the limited number of maps in COD compared eith Counter Strike doesn't suit me.

Honestly I think that this will mark the start of me getting into RPG which is a genre that previously never appeal to me.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Yea I usually complain about how short games are but now with less time I defiantly prefer a shorter better experience. Like Miles Morales Spider-Man is crazy short. Like 8 hours long but super fun. Something like final fantasy 7 remake is 30-40 hours of what was a 10-15 hour adventure. While they fixed the annoying grinding to level your characters up they added some really boring story mode things and awful platformer mechanics that don’t make sense in the game

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Yea I usually complain about how short games are but now with less time I defiantly prefer a shorter better experience. Like Miles Morales Spider-Man is crazy short. Like 8 hours long but super fun. Something like final fantasy 7 remake is 30-40 hours of what was a 10-15 hour adventure. While they fixed the annoying grinding to level your characters up they added some really boring story mode things and awful platformer mechanics that don’t make sense in the game
I think it's great to occasionally buy a linear and short game with a progress dashboard that doesn't give you anxiety.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Since taking delivery of my Series X on launch day, I have bought a mixture of physical and digital games. Much more so than when I had my PS4 Pro.

I have observed that unless there is a 60-80% promotion, digital games are expensive.

It's not uncommon to see 2-3 year old games advertised at £54 in the Xbox store while physical copies on eBay or Facebook marketplace are a fraction at £5.

Interestingly i fancy the medditeranean scenery in Forza Horizon 2 over the British map in FH4. However, you can no longer buy FH2 digitally! I have had to buy a used physical copy.

I wouldn't be surprised if some games, are in the future, removed from the Xbox store.

If you like to play or try different games,I recommend buying console with a disc drive.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
It's not uncommon to see 2-3 year old games advertised at £54 in the Xbox store while physical copies on eBay or Facebook marketplace are a fraction at £5.
I am a newcomer to gaming. When I researched this in March 2020 (after the first COVID-19 lockdowns) I quickly discovered that console games are not as frequently discounted as PC games.

Thus I ended up building my own gaming PC rather than jump into a console ecosystem.

As Nintendo admitted way back in the Nineties, they expect to barely break even on the console hardware sale. They make all of their profit from content.

Beyond the regular sales in the PC gaming world, there are occasional free titles like Epic Game Store's weekly freebies. I picked up Star Wars: Battlefront II for zero dollars.

As far as I can tell the console gaming universe does not have the plethora of deeply discounted titles like the PC gaming world.

Also it appears that modding games is far easier on Windows PCs than consoles. And yeah, forget about modding games on Macs...

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I am a newcomer to gaming. When I researched this in March 2020 (after the first COVID-19 lockdowns) I quickly discovered that console games are not as frequently discounted as PC games.

Thus I ended up building my own gaming PC rather than jump into a console ecosystem.

As Nintendo admitted way back in the Nineties, they expect to barely break even on the console hardware sale. They make all of their profit from content.

Beyond the regular sales in the PC gaming world, there are occasional free titles like Epic Game Store's weekly freebies. I picked up Star Wars: Battlefront II for zero dollars.

As far as I can tell the console gaming universe does not have the plethora of deeply discounted titles like the PC gaming world.

Also it appears that modding games is far easier on Windows PCs than consoles. And yeah, forget about modding games on Macs...
There are periodic 60-80% deals in the PS and Xbox stores. The discounts are off course game dependant. When these deals are on, you sometimes have to buy games that you mught not want now but might want to play 4-6 months down the line.

Other than that, used physical copies can be cheap both at retailers, on eBay or Facebook marketplace.

Subscribers of online services like Xbox Gold get exclusive discounts on games.

Other than that PC gaming is awesome if you can afford to spec one with decent performance. Mods can massively enhance games and when I used to play counter strike competitively, I found the custom maps and game mods to be more fun than the classic maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.