What could the possibe selling point be?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aaquib, May 30, 2009.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'm looking to sell my iPhone 3G in hopes of a new iPhone, but I'm not really excited at all about what the rumours say it'll have.

On the iPhone 3G, the big selling point was 3G and a built in GPS. For the new iPhone, the only major difference will be a new/beter camera. Is that really worth justifying a new iPhone?

I am hoping for a significant new feature like video calling, but according to the rumours, it's not happening.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Faster 3G networking, better camera, that magnetometer thingy, more storage, and a faster processor that might just be capable of true backgrounding (only on the 3G iPhone (not the iPhone 3G, the iPhone that is coming out)).

Incremental, but people are ending their two-year contracts.

4. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

if you don't like the new features how about you just don't buy it.................

i'm upgrading because i've got a V1 iphone. If I had the 3G i wouldnt bother.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

"Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"

Literally. They won't use that, but that's pretty much what the new iPhone will see.

Harder - If we see a new case and the plastic is dumped. (It's a 50/50 at this point)
    Better - OS of course
    Faster - 3.5G (7.2Mbps capable), also a fast processor
    Stronger - Again, goes with the case.

I think the case the iPhone is in will be much improved. Too much plastic, too many cracks, and Apple is moving away from plastic more and more.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

For most people just having the newest and most flashy phone to brandish about will be reason enough to drop their cash on it. It would be for me even with only a slight incremental upgrade if I had the money. I'm bourgeois.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

The two most important feature upgrades that will set the new iPhone apart from the current one will be the faster processor and more memory.

I think those two things, along with the 3.0 OS, will make the new device fly (if the rumors are true about the new specs).

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Isn't that what the magnetometer does?

9. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Especially while the iPhone is in it's "trendy" phase. If Motorola got away with doing nothing to the hardware of the RAZR and still selling millions of them for years by simply changing the colors they were offered in, I don't foresee Apple having any problem selling the new iPhone, especially with the rumored additions of video capture and a compass, along with hardware improvements.

In all honesty, I think that all iPhone revisions will be incremental improvements (much like the iPods have been) with notable exceptions - every few generations a huge feature change/form factor change will likely happen. I wouldn't be surprised if the 4th/5th gen iPhone goes to a 16:9 or 16:10 screen and adds a slew of new features, for example.

10. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

i dont understand the people that care about all of this superficial stuff.

i am extremely excited about the new iphone. Running beta 5 of the os has proven to me just how weak the current hardware is. Half of my apps dont run very well, safari crashes...sometimes the keyboard pops up without keys in it...all kinds of weird ****. Im certainly ready and stoked for the faster processor (hopefully cortex a8) and the double ram.
    the camera will be a nice addition...
    BUT I WOULD BUY IT EVEN IF IT WAS THE SAME EXACT PHONE CASE WITH ONLY A FASTER PROCESSOR AND MORE MEMORY.
    and anyone else that enjoys using their iphone should probably feel similarly. i know ill probably get **** for not whining about the matte finish or the bezel differences.
    oh wait....i dont care

11. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

I guess it depends on which rumor you choose to believe, there are rumors for everything under the sun floating around and since it's all conjecture at this point the new iPhone could be some mind blowing device....or it could be a minor capacity upgrade.

12. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

i am telling you wwdc next weeek there gonna make a crazy announcement about the iphone.. its gonna blow the world away just watch.. these leaks are just the minor stuff... they prolly are keeping the really good stuff "locked up in secrecy" so to say

"the iphone will now clean your house"
    :apple::apple:

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah, i kind of have a feeling there is going to be something that will blow us away at WWDC about the iPhone.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't. I think we have already learned of the main new features.

People just expect way too much. And then when they don't get "blown away", they complain.

It's all these damn iPhone rumors sites' fault. :eek:

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

There better be (although I don't think there will be). As the OP pointed out, I'm not really excited about these new potential features. A magnetometer, video, or autofocus is just not getting my blood pumping. There has to be something more, otherwise I just don't see the excitement.

Sure extra RAM, a faster processor, and more storage seem more exciting than these new gimicky features. But, I certainly don't see the general public will getting excited about the inner workings of the iPhone (especially when multitasking could confuse most of them, as people think around here). And I don't think we see all 3 of these (RAM, storage, CPU) added at once either.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Maybe the surprise feature will be a proper functioning phone app?

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

And what exactly does "blown away" mean anyways. I love Apple's products. They work seemlessly and are very dependable. They also have changed the way I live my life (my iPod, my iPhone). Call me jaded, but I have never really been "blown away" by anything Apple has come out with.

I can actually see Apple announcing this during their Keynote and having the auditorium (filled with Fanboys) giving Phil a standing ovation (like they invented the first phone).

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well they are going to need something to make this iPhone sell, that breaks it away from the iPhone 3G.

I'm hopeful too but who knows. The first iPhone was the iPhone in general. Then along came "Twice as fast, half the price" with 3G, and of course GPS.

With the Pre and probably many other competitors coming out this year, Apple knows it has to exceed. They did it last year already, and i'm sure they will do it again this year. :)

19. Surely Guest

Surely

I was blown away when I first saw the iPhone demonstrated. It's easy to forget how ahead of its time the iPhone was when it was first introduced. There really wasn't anything else like it out there.

I remember when SJ demoed the Maps app: he searched for Starbucks, tapped the red pin, tapped the blue circle, tapped the phone number, and it called Starbucks. Amazing.
    Just seeing how it zoomed in on the NY Times website and how crisp the text was was amazing.

If the phone part of the iPhone is improved, I'll buy it.

20. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

You're right, the first iPhone was revolutionary. But I assume, as with almost all other Apple products, the next line will be evolutionary not revolutionary. It won't be everything but the kitchen sink in the new iPhone. I'm guessing new video capabilies, capacity bump and some other feature but not a whole lot. Apple will do just enough to keep its customers.

21. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed. It will be evolutionary. I think that a future upgrade, most likely a few years from now, will prove to be another revolutionary step. For now, Apple needs to improve on the current form factor. The fact that some of the new features that will be added (e.g. video, copy and paste) are basically catch-up features to other devices isn't very revolutionary, now is it?

22. newyorksole macrumors 68020

lmao i don't understand why people think Apple is gonna have amazing surprises in store. there's gonna be nothing mind blowing and no surprises. video recording and compass is probably all we'll get along with the new iPhone.

23. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You can't be too sure on that.

24. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

32gb was enough of a selling point for me to jump from blackberry