What do I do about a flickering macbook display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tons123, Jun 1, 2018.

1. tons123 macrumors newbie

tons123

I have an early 2011 MacBook pro (13") running on High Sierra. About a month ago after I connected the laptop with my tv the screen started flickering after I disconnected from it. Particularly it flickers when I switch through windows or when I scrawl up and down a browser.

I have tried resetting the PRAM and the problem remains. I even erased the OS and reinstalled it after which the problem appeared resolved but came back after my first restart.

I have tried almost everything I can find on the net but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. organicCPU macrumors 6502a

organicCPU

Probably it's a hardware defect. If you restart and hold the D key, you can enter Apple Diagnostics. Maybe it gives some report. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Other things you could try to analyse the flickering:
    - Connect an external monitor on the Thunderbolt port an see if it flickers.
    - Boot into an older macOS and see if it flickers.

If it's hardware related, you might want to bring it to a repair shop as long as you don't want to tinker with your Mac. Maybe it's just a loose or broken connection, that you could repair yourself. If it's the logic board or if soldering is needed, it's probably something for a professional. On iFixit.com there are many repair and upgrade guides. Maybe take a look at those guides and decide, if you want to try a do-it-yourself repair.