What Do I Do? Ebay Related!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fazzl, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

So i sold my 3GS on eBay and the dude msg me today saying he wants full refund because there is a crack on the back corner. I clearing in my description said there are cosmetic wear on the back of the phone AND I had clear pics of the back, and the front.

I don't want to get ripped off here what should I do?

2. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Did you state that it had a crack? Not just pics and say it had "wear"?

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Not much you can do. Tell him to return it and you will refund his money. Selling on eBay is a real challenge. You don't really have a choice. :mad:

By the way those cases (especially the white ones) often had cracks show up over time. You may have thought you had ony wear, but you may have also had some tiny cracks.

4. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

well it wasn't an actual crack per say. the white iphones always got those hairline scratches that looked like cracks.

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

If the pictures clearly showed the hairline cracks or w/e you wish to call them, go ahead and challenge his dispute. You may lose, but at least you put up the effort. However, if they didn't show the cracks then just refund the guys money (AFTER he returns the phone).

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Those hairline scratches normally actually were tiny cracks if you looked very closely. I had mine exchanged for that exact reason. :(

7. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

8. christyn macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they're cracks not scratches.

As for the OP, PP will side with the buyer guaranteed, tell him to return the phone and refund his money.

9. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

but i have no money in my paypal account and they cant take money from my bank or credit card...can they?

10. nora47 macrumors regular

as long as paypal isnt connected to either...but youd be committing a crime. You said you never stated condition, so they have case against you. But be careful, he might be using your phone for parts to rip you off in the end.

11. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Yes they can and they will. Just tell her to return it and refund her when you get it back.

12. Built macrumors 68020

Is the buyer, by any chance, the grandson of the former ruler of Nigeria?

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

They can take it from your bank account. You agreed to that when you signed up. If you have no money there they will turn it over to a collection agency. They will get their money!

14. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Yeah that's why I don't want the phone back because it might not even bea phone in the box and then I'm really out of luck.

15. cirial macrumors regular

He did post the condition.. "excellent" is what he said. When I think of "excellent" condition I think no scratches, like brand new condition.

16. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Unfortunately with your description you will need to have the buyer send you the item back and give him a full refund. It's one of the disadvantages of being a seller, just be sure to be more detailed in your descriptions in the future.

17. huskerchad macrumors regular

He also listed the condition as "Used" which is defined on the page as "See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections".

In other words, if there's a scratch or crack on the back, and he didn't put it in the post, then ebay is going to back the buyer on the return.

18. nora47 macrumors regular

yup sorry to say to the OP but youre not going to win this battle, just be very cautious when you get the phone returned in case something is not right.

19. cirial macrumors regular

Well you summed it up.. He dug himself a hole with the first word of his ebay listing. If there were scratches that may be cracks, then excellent isn't the right word to have used.

20. toastedfroggy macrumors member

When I listed mine I made sure to clearly describe that there were light minor scratches on the screen that aren't noticed when the screen is on. Then I made sure I said the back has tiny scratches all over it.

I would tell them to return it for a refund, then re-list it with description that accurately points out all the cosmetic damage.

21. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Yeah you have to be really detailed in describing any and all flaws. I think some sellers get scared that no one will want to buy their item and gloss over things, but it's better to be super anal and describe everything. Put a reserve on it if you must.

22. nora47 macrumors regular

Always accurately describe an item 100%, and take good/clear pictures of every little detail of the phone to not be put back in this situation. I sold a macbook earlier this year that had many scratches, was not perfectly white anymore, superdrive was messed up, but i accurately described the computer, took clear pictures detailing everything and when the buyer complained for a second i showed him that i accurately described everything, he gave up.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should have put Sold as is and no returns on the auction.
    If its still under the 1 year Applecare warranty tell him to bring it to Apple and they will replace it for free.
    But there's tons of scams on ebay.
    I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt send you back an empty box and still get his money from paypal.

24. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

For reasons like this, eBay is now putting holds on seller payments. People pretty much sell something to "borrow" the money then come crying on forums when people want to do a return. Honestly, don't sell on eBay if you need funds immediately, it comes back to you in the end.

25. nora47 macrumors regular

yup always put Sold as is and no returns for any item. And yeah i wouldn't be surprised one bit if he ends of getting ripped off. Keep us in the loop OP