what do new ATT data plans mean for current original iPhone users?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SDNikki, Jun 2, 2010.

1. SDNikki macrumors member

So I have an original (1st gen) iPhone on the $30/month (1500 texts + unlimited data) plan. I plan to upgrade to new iPhone when it is released, but clearly this plan will not transfer.

Does anyone know if as an existing customer I will get the option of the current $30 unlimited data plan when the new phone comes out? Or will I be stuck signing up for the new 2 gb plan?

What are my current options as an original iPhone user?

Also, this is a stupid question, but how does data usage on an original iPhone compare to that on a 3GS? Should it be comparable? If i'm using the new phone for the same amount of time as my old one, should my data usage be equivalent?

2. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Did you not read? People with the $30/unlimited plans will not be effected by this new plan.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Original iPhones do not have a $30/month data plan. They have a much smaller $20/month data plan.

However, those concerns were addressed by AT&T a long time ago. They said 1st Gen iPhones would still get the $20/month treatment, so long as they are activated in store or through iTunes. Also, we can keep it as long as we want.

4. lasuther macrumors 6502a

He doesn't have a $30 3G plan. And he won't be eligible for it. It shouldn't matter, 98% of people don't use more than 2GB of data. I use a lot of data and I only hit about 1GB a month.

Moving up from the $20 original Edge plan to a $25 2GB 3G plan will be worth it just for the speed, assuming you have 3G in your area.

5. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

You know what I mean - people paying the amount they are now can keep it how it is.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, on a 2G iphone.
    I dont think they will let the $20 unlimited plan be carried over to a 4th Gen iphone though.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Since you're next phone will be 3G, you will need a new plan. You would have to get either the $15 or $25 data plans.

I'm assuming all this but I'm confident.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No they don't, they slap you with a warning text and then switch you over to $30/month, but now that would be either the $15/month or $25/month.

9. SDNikki thread starter macrumors member

my question is more regarding upgrading to the new iPhone when it is released. my current $20/month for unlimited data will not transfer, so will i be forced to sign up for the $25 for 2 gb plan?

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, unless you get the $30 plan now.

11. gotzero macrumors 68040

Yes, but this was always true for any iPhone upgrade beyond the original. You could buy a phone out of contract and would probably skate by for awhile though.

12. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

I was recommended by a user in another thread to change my $20 month iphone 2G data plan to the $30 month 3g/3gs data plan. I would do this in a heartbeat as I plan to upgrade to the new phone and would prefer to not have to worry about data (as I would be grandfathered with unlimited data). It is doubly good because I am on a Premier FAN account so the data plan would only be $22.80 with my discount.

Is this possible? Does it require contract extension?

Thanks

13. lasuther macrumors 6502a

You will have the choice of a $15 or $25 plan. Or just keep your 1st gen phone with $20 Edge plan.

Check your data usage history on the AT&T website. The $15 plan might be an option for you.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True.
    Give it a try.

It might work and it wont require a contract extension.

15. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

don't you think his data usage might change considerably when he makes the jump from EDGE to 3G?

16. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I saw that in an article about the change today. That seems a little hard to believe. I know that most people use less data than I do considering I'm always over 2GB every month but I would think that people would get a iPhone to use data and that more than 2% would use more than 2GB.

17. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

Will do...after I get out of work. Seems like a good plan though :cool:

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, I dont think AT&T will mind you paying an extra $10 per month and then you can upgrade to the new iphone and hopefully keep the same exact plan.

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

On my 2G iPhone, it's hard to use very much data anyways considering how slow the data speed are. I activated my 2G iPhone through iTunes about 10 days ago and have barely used 20MB of data. It's just too slow and I have a 3G and 3GS also activated. I consider myself a fairly heavy user on those and my data usage is well under 2GB each month. It's hard to ever go above 2GB even using my XM app daily.

$15 plan would work even though it's only saving $5.

20. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Which I don't think he could ... given that he has a 2G iPhone, thus they couldn't change his plan to a 3G Unlimited/$30 plan given that his phone can't utilize that network. That's just my guess ... just like they won't strap on a data plan to a non-data utilizing cell phone.

Thus, if he wants the $30 unlimited plan, he'll have to buy a 3G/3GS now with the $30 plan, and then cancel/upgrade early when the new phone comes out.
    :apple:

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

How is that even possible? You HAVE to be tethering or downloading LOTS of files (iTunes, email attachments) like CRAZY to hit 2Gb a month. Most users don't even use email, let alone safari ... hence they probably don't even get near a few mb per month.

22. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

See a few posts above.

23. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

care to call att and find out for me? thanks ;)

24. SDNikki thread starter macrumors member

last month I used 800 mb on my 2G/EDGE/original iPhone!

if someone tries to upgrade to 3G plan on original iPhone, will you please let us know your results?

25. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

It means that the current users had better stay locked into AT&T if they want to have the safety net & comfort of Unlimited Data.

The bad thing for consumers is, AT&T is playing it pretty safe with this change.

1. They have enough current users that will stay with AT&T just to keep the Unlimited option.
    2. Verizon & Sprint has tiered plans already in place, or coming.
    3. And they're trying to limit usage because they can't support all the Data and users that they currently have without dropping a lot of calls, and having slow speeds in a LOT of markets.

So, they have played it safe in their timing.

Now, if we could just get some real competition......