Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
rolex
lambroghini
sony monitors
paul reed smith (guitars)
ms office professional
and apple

...but the last one i have no problem paying extra for :)

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
any iPod accessory

Gibson Les Paul
I've got one, and it sure is nice, but yeesh it cost me a fortune.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
beatsme said:
any iPod accessory

Gibson Les Paul
I've got one, and it sure is nice, but yeesh it cost me a fortune.

With emphasis placed on Apple-branded iPod accessories...might as well just buy another iPod, rather than buying socks, an AC adapter, a dock, and a remote :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oooo oooo!!! Pick me! I have another one! Computer repair shops who charge $50 for a "diagnostic" (i.e., looking at it, saying "Why yes, you do have a problem with your computer!")

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Not sure if it's a "product" as such, but it is certainly over priced...

I was going to go home to Cornwall this weekend, but a standard open return on the train is £205. I flew to Barcelona recently for less. :eek:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Kernow said:
I was going to go home to Cornwall this weekend, but a standard open return on the train is £205. I flew to Barcelona recently for less. :eek:
Ah, the privatised British railway system. So cost effective, so efficient, and so safe to boot. Could you hire a car and drive down? It'd be cheaper than £205.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
I second Sony. Premimum price, no better quality.

McDonalds/Burger King/KFC/etc - their meals are very dear (£4-5) if you consider the crap quality of the food and the fact that they aren't that big. My local chippy does a huge portion of sausage and chips for a quarter of the price.

Sky Television - I don't understand why people pay £30 a month to see more repeats :confused:

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Kernow said:

Wow! And I thought £40 (with a Railcard) for Manchester to London was dear!

In Europe, for £200, you could get unlimited travel over several countries for up to a month!

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Bose
college textbooks
parts department at my local VW dealership
US penny

Almost forgot...that Sex on the Beach I had last weekend.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
aquajet said:
Bose
college textbooks
parts department at my local VW dealership
US penny

I'm with you on Bose. I've got a pair of Bose speakers, and boy are they nice, but like the Les Paul jeez were they ever expensive.

re: auto parts
I had to get the power window unit replaced on my erstwhile Ford Probe (which was, mechanically, a Mazda 626)...$350 in parts, $190 for the motor and $140 for the godd@m bracket.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
FleurDuMal said:
My local chippy does a huge portion of sausage and chips for a quarter of the price.
Mmm, sausage and chips. That sounds good right now. I wish we could get that kind of stuff here in the US. McDonalds et al is cheaper here, but who wants it?
P.S. I take it from your username that you're a fan of Beaudelaire?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Anything at the movies, especially popcorn and soft drinks.

Game consoles. Of course, that's just because the value I personally place on them is so low. :p

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
Kernow said:
Not sure if it's a "product" as such, but it is certainly over priced...

If you want to travel with the poor Plymouth is £12 return with Megabus.

From that there London.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
beatsme said:
I'm with you on Bose. I've got a pair of Bose speakers, and boy are they nice

I don't even think they're nice. I've yet to hear a set of Bose speakers that sound good.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
aquajet said:
I don't even think they're nice. I've yet to hear a set of Bose speakers that sound good.

I like them, but I grant you that speaker preference is a purely personal thing. To me they sound really warm and musical, but that's just me.

Infinity makes some nice speakers, too...IMHO

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think lots of stuff in premium audio is over-priced. I understand that a lot of it is over-priced because of limitations in niche manufacturing, development costs, and materials, but I still think it's insane. Although it's a sliding scale... I do like the Bose speakers I own, although I don't use them right now (in favor of some old floor standing ones we had that looked better in the room! :eek: :eek: ... so now my Bose bookshelfs and my Cambridge satellite system are both sitting in boxes....

As far as products *I* actually buy though... the water I like. I *love* Evian. It's worth the money to me, but it cracks me up how much cheaper soda is than Evian... :rolleyes:

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
FleurDuMal said:
Sky Television - I don't understand why people pay £30 a month to see more repeats :confused:

And then they charge an extra £8 just to watch a single live game of football :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.