What do you do on a date?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zombie Acorn, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have a date on wed. and have no clue what the hell to do. It would be too easy to do the regular dinner/movie crap and I don't like doing that. What the hell do you do these days when its freezing cold out (5 degrees most days it seems)? Im seriously at a loss for ideas in my small town. Any good ideas will be used. :p

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Have fun

Play a board game, talk, go for a walk

Or go out

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

And bring a thermos of hot cocoa.

4. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

When I used to go on first dates I would take my date to a coffee shop/bookstore. We would talk over coffee and check out some books or magazines. Depending on how well it went I would take her to dinner or just dessert depending on the time and how I felt it was going. If things weren't going well I would call it a night after the coffee. I always tried to keep it casual and low key. It helps to manage expectations.

The funny thing is I had all of these crazy rules that I strictly followed for every date. Until I met the woman I would marry. I broke all my rules on that first date. I took her to a very expensive dinner, a movie and then out for drinks afterwards. I spent $250 on our first date. I must have been on crack or something that night. But all in all it was a great first date and now we are married and have a beautiful baby daughter.

Regardless of what you choose to do, I wish you well on your date and I hope you enjoy yourself! :)

5. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

if you do some exciting daytime activity instead of a dinner, it's sometimes better because it's not obviously date like. Then again if you live in a cold climate (hello from California!!!!) it may be difficult to get close to her with all the layers of clothing on...

6. ryketech macrumors newbie

Should be some warmer weather here by Wed..take her sledding or ice skating (don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself, they love it!), then to get some hot cocoa or something. If all goes well, ask her back to your place to catch a movie.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I understand if you don't want to answer, but what age range are we talking about here?

8. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im 25 shes 19, theres a bit of a gap, but shes a cool girl. We already hang out/text quite a bit, this is just an official date and I needed to see if anyone had ideas to put a date over the top without having warm weather, seems like this stuff is much easier when its warm out and I have never really had to initiate dating in the winter.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Hmmm...I've never spent much time in a small town, but is there a museum or perhaps a performing arts center you could go to? Followed up by a nice dinner?

10. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I wish, thats part of the problem, theres really nothing to do around here, and I can't come up with any activities that you can make up like during spring/summer to impress. I figured we'd go out to dinner, but it kind of sucks to not do anything but that.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Take her bowling. Once she has become accustomed to handling balls for an hour with you, it won't be as intimidating on later dates.

Or Plan B: Laser Tag. Make sure you win. We may not have the technology yet, but one day in the far future, when you two have children, she'll want to know that you have the skills to hit a mofo in the head with a laser from 30 metres during an invasion of your galaxy.

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

If you are looking for something fun to do together and don't want to do the traditional out to dinner thing then make it a cooking date. In the summer you would start by taking her to the to the local Farmer's Market, but since it's winter then just hit up the grocery store. Shopping together for your dinner ingredients provides a nice chance to talk. Then go home and prepare the meal together. Cook, dine, clean up, dessert, coffee, etc. If you want to go high end then you can do the whole cooking class thing, but I think it's more fun to do it yourselves at home. The whole point is to provide a fun activity where you have the chance to get to know each other better. This date does that extremely well.

13. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

That actually sounds like a really good idea. I might actually try that in the summer.

14. solchitlins macrumors regular

Do something casual and not stressful. First dates are for getting to know each other, talking, listening, reading body language etc....

I never understood the whole "lets see how creative and exciting we can make the first date thing" that you see on TV.

I'm trying to get back into the dating scene and I like the coffee/book store idea a lot, then you can ask her to grab some dinner with you or something if it's going really well, and there's equal opportunity for ether or you to decline before you both waste your efforts.

After there's some trust built up I like to do a date where theres a little bit of a long drive involved so you can get a chance to joke around, laugh and talk.
    :)

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes.... Ball-handling skills are important.

Don't do dinner and a movie. Not a good first date IMO.

How about dinner and then dessert? Is there a good dessert place to go to?

Or you could watch "Groundhog Day" and take notes on Bill Murray's idea of the perfect first date......

16. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

17. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I will have to keep this in mind, sounds like a good idea. :cool:

Thanks for the other suggestions, keep them coming if you have them I am sure I am not the only one looking for ways to impress dates. :p

I think part of the problem is that I already know this girl, we've partied etc, this is just the first "official" date so I want to make it something impressive.

18. Paul B macrumors 6502

What city/town do you live in? Search on yelp for stuff to do?

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In all my 7 years with my girlfriend we've never really been on a "date", or not in the way TV shows portray them. Usually we just go on long walks, go climbing, hiking. Cinemas okay I guess but you can't really get to know a person there.
    Art gallery, paintballing, bowling. Activities are usually good!

20. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

21. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

A good wholesome acitivity.

22. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Part of what makes this such a good date idea is that eating is a very socially intimate activity. By cooking the meal together you are cranking up that intimacy just a little bit without getting sexual. Additionally, women rarely get to see a guy do this kind of thing until after they are married or living together. If you're not a good cook it also makes you a little bit vulnerable which will also promote the process of getting to know each other.

23. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Put a rag up to her mouth and nose and say:

"Does this rag smell of Chloroform, or is it just me?"

That's always a good ice breaker ;)

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't spend more than $40 and if she doesn't want to handle your balls by the second date you need to DTB. :D

I am joking. I have no suggestions but mscriv seems to have a good idea.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Get her to start an account of Macrumors and talk about this thread.