What do you do with your change?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bc008, Jul 12, 2008.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

my parents yelled at me for about 5 minutes because they found a quarter in my trash can..

what do you do with your change?

2. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

Did you seriously throw out a quarter? I throw my change in a jar and every 6 months or so, I have like $100.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

unfortunately i usually just leave it in my pockets and loose all my loose change...

4. satty macrumors 6502

Certainly not throwing it into the trash bin.

I think countries should look into their coins. For example here in New Zealand we have only $2, $1, $.50, $0.20 and $.10 coins, which is great. All shops round the final price to the closest $.10 amount.

In Europe you have something like €2, €1, €.50, €.20, €.10, €.05, €.02 and €.01 coins. There's nothing you could buy for €.02 or €.01. The nominal value of the coin is likely lower than the material value. People take it out of the system and have it in huge glass bottles at home... sometimes for many many years. Therefore the Central Bank has to produce more and more of those useless coins.

In New Zealand I keep all the coins in my pocket and use it next time buying something.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Depends on where I'm working at the time. In Europe, I keep every thing €,50 and up in my wallet and they typically get used. In America, I'll just throw them into a bucket or something.

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

When I get change from a store a usually throw it in the parking lot. Sorry I am a guy--I have no purse and don't need change swishing around in my pockets.

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

From my experiences as a former gas station clerk, most people use their change to buy cigarettes, but only when they have four dollars in nickels. </rant>

8. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I throw it in the freezer, lest I change my mind later.

(The Gays will get this one, for sure.)

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Mine either goes in a jar in the house or in the ash tray in our car. Never no when your going to need it

11. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

ohhh mannnnnn... lol took me a while but i just go it ahahah,, im not gay tho...

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Typically, I exchange it for a quantity of goods or services based on a variety of financial indicators that influence the market-determined value of said goods/services and the accepted purchasing power of the change in question. That or I spin it like a top.

13. MicBook macrumors regular

I have a giant coke bottle that i put mine in I think I have over $200 in there now

14. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Pennies and nickels go directly in the trash can. They're not worth the space they take up. Quarters and dimes go in a jar.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I can't even imagine taking a piece of money and putting it in the garbage...Somehow, it seems...disrespectful. I dunno, guess it's just me.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not to even mention, so I will, that it is highly illegal.

You do not own the coin you possess. The government does.

Even making a token out of it, i.e. at DisneyWorld, is a Federal offence.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I throw my change in a big plastic cup and when its full I take it to the bank and put it in my savings account.

18. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Yeah, but pennies especially really are useless. They should get rid of them and round all prices off to the nearest five cents. Then make the nickel the size of a penny.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

From your lips, to inflation's ear. ;)

20. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I convert the change to Amazon.com credit (with no fee!).

http://www.coinstar.com/

Don't throw your money out - change adds up eventually.

21. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Go to your bank, not coinstar, they have the same machine and they don't charge 8.9%.

My change goes from my pocket to my car's coin tray. What that fills up I put coins in the ashtray. And then I have that filled they either go in the center console. I also have a bowl on my desk that i put coins in.

Seriously save your change. Every so often, cash it in, and you'll get a nice surprise. I usually find myself bringing in $20-$30 in change per month. Quarters are the best too, they add up really quickly.

22. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

I agree. I just throw all my change in a small bucket, eventually it adds up. :]

23. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

****, why hadn't I thought of that?

I'm a Coca-Cola addict, too... *goes off to buy a liter bottle*

As for what I do with my change, quarters go on a tidy tower of quarters on top of my drawers, for laundry. The rest, I toss in the drawer along with my keys.

24. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Wow. Throwing away money is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If you don't want it, then put it in the tip jar. Or let the cashier keep the change. Dear God.

I've never "thrown away" money. If I really don't feel like taking it home and putting it in my change bowl then I leave it on a counter somewhere where it's blatantly going to be seen and taken, whether by a passerby or a storeclerk or a waitress or something. I don't toss it on the floor or in the garbage can.

Beyond that, most of the time (ie. 99 times out of 100) i put dimes, nickels and pennies in this bowl where it collects until I count it and turn it in for bills. Quarters, loonies and toonies go into my changebowl that I rob every day for... well.. extra change. Because it's worth something. You can buy food with it. You can take public transportation with it. And even if you have nickels and dimes and pennies, it only takes an extra 10-20 seconds to count out the change for that coffee you're buying versus pulling out a five-spot.

25. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Quarters go for the purpose of laundry. I make sure to keep a few dimes in my car for parking meters. Pennies go into a whiskey bottle because pennies are sort of the color of whiskey and it's a nice-looking whiskey bottle, so it makes a nice decoration. The rest of my change goes into a jar and when it gets filled up, I take it to my credit union. Of course, this takes a while because only nickels and dimes go into it.