Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think about iOS 7?

• Total voters

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I've owned iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S and 5 and also several Android devices and a few Windows phones and while there are many things I prefer about iOS-based phones I have come to prefer Android for my primary phone (Windows is nice in that all my docs work and Outlook and great with work e-mail but not enough apps). It's much more flexible, and allows me to easily upgrade the memory or access the files directly. This flexibility and most of the Apps I like are available on Android. Besides, I'm really tired of the small iPhone screen.

Throughout the years I go back and forth and would actually prefer iOS and that ecosystem but there are just too many tradeoffs for me.

I still have an iPad mini after selling my 3 & 4 but it's only use is iMessage, Verizon tethering and accessing apps that only work on iOS. I use a full Windows 8 Tablet when I can get full computer access to the files and programs I need in a 1.3 lb package.

While the person you're responding to may be back, he may also leave again. The lack of choice and flexibility from Apple is an issue for some of us. It's an issue Apple is not concerned with so I live with it and act accordingly.

Arguing about features that in many cases can be liked or disliked on a purely subjective basis is really pointless. Bringing perceived limitations or flaws to light so others may benefit is what these forums are for.

Cheers,

No one said you should stay with 1 platform forever. I've gone from Windows to iOS to Android and back to iOS again in the last 9 years.

The thing that annoys me the most is when people post threads about how they are leaving for another platform.

Do you really have to announce it?
Do you really think Apple is reading your complaints and taking notes to try and win you back?

Do the right thing. Just LEAVE quietly.

When I left Android I quietly just stopped going to Android Central and XDA forums. I didn't make a whole thread about how I was switching. That's so attention whoring.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
No one said you should stay with 1 platform forever. I've gone from Windows to iOS to Android and back to iOS again in the last 9 years.

The thing that annoys me the most is when people post threads about how they are leaving for another platform.

Do you really have to announce it?
Do you really think Apple is reading your complaints and taking notes to try and win you back?

Do the right thing. Just LEAVE quietly.

When I left Android I quietly just stopped going to Android Central and XDA forums. I didn't make a whole thread about how I was switching. That's so attention whoring.

OK, I can see your point. Those threads can be self-serving but isn't that what some people come to forums for; to get the attention they wouldn't otherwise receive outside in the real world?

And when other users engage them for behaving in such a self serving manner don't they ultimately receive the attention they desired in the first place. I doubt it matters if someone agrees with them. What's important is someone noticing them and taking the time to engage in some pointless dialogue.

Cheers,

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
OK, I can see your point. Those threads can be self-serving but isn't that what some people come to forums for; to get the attention they wouldn't otherwise receive outside in the real world?

And when other users engage them for behaving in such a self serving manner don't they ultimately receive the attention they desired in the first place. I doubt it matters if someone agrees with them. What's important is someone noticing them and taking the time to engage in some pointless dialogue.

Cheers,

Fair enough. I guess a technology forum can meet one's emotional and mental needs too.

olindacat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Greenwich
Fair enough. I guess a technology forum can meet one's emotional and mental needs too.

The animosity here at times can get boring. Too many impish children after school to add nothing more to the conversation. The bottom line is Apple's unspoken core credo was to keep it simple stupid. If you look at how the iOS is evolving, it is visually and technically more like a Windows than an Apple product. I have been pointed in my remarks about Apple seemingly changing culturally and the nasty replies I've gotten just tell me we have a lot of people using Apple products who are just refusing to allow others to have a point of view that might border on being somewhat different, or even critical of Apple. I'm sorry but it is the voice of protest that is heard. If I don't like something, I should be free to say it. In the case of iOS7, my wife is secretly amused that I got sucked into using it, whereas she refused and is perfectly happy with 6 on her iPhone 5.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
The animosity here at times can get boring. Too many impish children after school to add nothing more to the conversation. The bottom line is Apple's unspoken core credo was to keep it simple stupid. If you look at how the iOS is evolving, it is visually and technically more like a Windows than an Apple product. I have been pointed in my remarks about Apple seemingly changing culturally and the nasty replies I've gotten just tell me we have a lot of people using Apple products who are just refusing to allow others to have a point of view that might border on being somewhat different, or even critical of Apple. I'm sorry but it is the voice of protest that is heard. If I don't like something, I should be free to say it. In the case of iOS7, my wife is secretly amused that I got sucked into using it, whereas she refused and is perfectly happy with 6 on her iPhone 5.

Everyone is welcome to express their thoughts or concerns about iOS 7. There is nothing wrong in doing so. In fact there have been a few people who have started threads about what they do not like and backed it up with legitimate reasons enough to where I nod my head in agreement.

However, it is very irritating when someone with a sense of self-entitlement creates a new thread and rants so much about an aspect of iOS 7 that really does not hinder the functionality of their device and is only just a reflection of their personal opinion.

"It's too flat, the colors are ugly, Apple is going down hill, Apple is failing, I'm going elsewhere, I'm never buying an Apple product again."

These people sound like spoiled children throwing tantrums.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Everyone is welcome to express their thoughts or concerns about iOS 7. There is nothing wrong in doing so. In fact there have been a few people who have started threads about what they do not like and backed it up with legitimate reasons enough to where I nod my head in agreement.

However, it is very irritating when someone with a sense of self-entitlement creates a new thread and rants so much about an aspect of iOS 7 that really does not hinder the functionality of their device and is only just a reflection of their personal opinion.

"It's too flat, the colors are ugly, Apple is going down hill, Apple is failing, I'm going elsewhere, I'm never buying an Apple product again."

These people sound like spoiled children throwing tantrums.

Especially if they've only been using it for less than an hour. That's really irritating.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I'm fine with iOS 7.

I rcv 100-200 emails a day and I've set them to appear as notification banners.

I find it handy that I can now swipe a banner upward out of the way and no longer need don't to pause what I'm doing. Now I can read it, swipe it away, and continue on with what I'm doing at that moment.

Nik73

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
UK
I'm coming back to an iPhone after a couple of Android phones (still have my original iPad) and I love iOS 7, just wish I could get it on my iPad as well.
Yes it's taken too long to have some features like control centre and there's still a few things I prefer about Android (mostly customisation/widget related), but overall I love it. I love the look and think it's a breath of fresh air like many have said, but it's still Apple. I can understand why some don't like it.
Personally, I don't hate Android phones (never had Windows or Blackberry) and my S3 is still a great phone, it's just Apple and iOS do it better for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.