Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
The new design is obvious, and even if that's all it needed to sell, that won't be Apple's advertised main selling point. Well, maybe, if it's the "thinnest/lightest ever".

I have a strong feeling it will be water proofed, and maybe wireless charging. Other than that, faster processor. Faster GPU. Slightly better camera. "Same great battery life". Announce a iPhone 7 battery case alongside.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
The design and water resistance. Outside chance of wireless charging. We really need an updated display but haven't heard much on that other than OLED that is still a couple of years away.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
battery life.
You know, I completely forgot about that. Now that I think about it, if Apple gave the iPhone 7 MUCH BETTER battery life, then I could see that as its main selling point. Still, I'm doubtful that they will. Not because they can't, but because they know that's what people want the most (and continue to ignore that request). The moment that they give us the battery life we want, they'll lose that trump card and would have to come up with a really innovative feature to catch our attention again.

If I had to guess, I would say the iPhone 7 would have an 1,800mAh battery at best, unless they found a way to shrink internal components like in the Apple Watch and use irregular-sized batteries like in the Macbook (but that would probably hurt their margins too much).

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

shanej399

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
You know, I completely forgot about that. Now that I think about it, if Apple gave the iPhone 7 MUCH BETTER battery life, then I could see that as its main selling point. Still, I'm doubtful that they will. Not because they can't, but because they know that's what people want the most (and continue to ignore that request). The moment that they give us the battery life we want, they'll lose that trump card and would have to come up with a really innovative feature to catch our attention again.

If I had to guess, I would say the iPhone 7 would have an 1,800mAh battery at best, unless they found a way to shrink internal components like in the Apple Watch and use irregular-sized batteries like in the Macbook (but that would probably hurt their margins too much).

Yes, this is sadly probably the only reason we won't see improved battery life. Kind of absurd that the 6S doesn't have better life than the 6.

est1738

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Honestly, I still dont get the "hoopla" over wireless/inductive charging. Give me fast wired charging like on the Samsung series and I will be happy enough.

SHRINK THESE BEZELS.

Capacitive Home Button

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Probably a real black color or "space black". I believe the bezels will be trimmed somewhat and the removal of the headphone jack. I also believe that we will finally see the 16gb model dropped. 32,64,128. Cant wait what the A10 soc has to offer as well as the next gen co-processor

Reactions: scapegoat81

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Give us:

Fast charging
Inductive charging
Shrink the bezels
Better display
Water resistant

Just go buy Nexus 6P, you will get most of them.. beside Inductive charging... Boy, you do want Android phone... Most of the things Apple would never or gonna take them forever to get. If iPhone 7 get Fast Charging, then it would have any of remaining, what else would Apple milking you later?

Last edited:

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Part of me thinks Apple will get rid of Home button and make the bezels smaller. In addition to the new design will be the removal of the headphone jack and promote higher quality digital audio.

Both of these will help with waterproofing the phone. I think these three complement each other.

Haribo22

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2015
Apple will probably think of a feature that is really boring but make a big deal about it like they did with force touch to make it seem amazing when really its something you could do without.

Reactions: Ladybug

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I think the display upgrade will. iPhone 6s is currently way behind other flagship phone's display. 720p is laughable in 2015.

I think Apple will go OLED with iPhone 7. iOS is going to look absolutely gorgeous on an OLED display.

It is 750 p not 720 P. And there is no other flagship phone that is 4.7 inches in production right now that is more than 720 P.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
It is 750 p not 720 P. And there is no other flagship phone that is 4.7 inches in production right now that is more than 720 P.
You're right, but the HTC One M7 in early 2013 had a 4.7" 1080p display. That was almost three years ago and will be more than three years total until Apple catches up.

Reactions: dk206

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I said currently in production to avoid such an answer. I have the M7 and know itis1080 p.
Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore that part of your comment. The reason why I mentioned it was just to show how much Apple fell behind in that department in terms of the length of time between early 2013 and late 2016.

Nobody can deny that it looks bad for a $650 phone to have a 750p display while some $150 phones have 1080p displays, even if they are a bit larger.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
The Apple Logo is all it takes. People still perceive it as the one to have. Whatever else it has or doesn't have hardly matters to those who buy the Apple brand.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The most compelling feature and strongest selling point will be that it's the newest iPhone. It will sell like mad because of that reason alone. Any new feature will be gravy. If you doubt me, just go back and look a the chronic and frenzied demand for new Apple devices.

With regards to actual features:
  • I don't need or want inductive charging. I charge my iPhone 6S Plus every night while I sleep. That is more than enough to get me through the day with my phone.
  • I don't need or want a thinner phone. Apple's obsession with device thinness has reached the point of diminishing returns.
  • I don't necessarily need or want a better camera. The camera works great for me. I'd love to see Apple continue to work on the low-light aspect of the camera, but I don't need a higher megapixel image, and I am quite happy with the OIS of the Plus models.
  • It sounds like Apple is moving towards OLED screens. Not sure if they will get here for the iPhone 7, but I hope that Apple doesn't go crazy with the oversaturated colors on the screens, if OLEDs do come in the iPhone 7.
  • I would like to see a few more color options - a true black phone would be great, and so would a dark blue version.
  • I am not all caught up in the "I need a waterproof phone" craze, but I suppose it would ultimately be a good thing for the iPhone line.
  • I could go for smaller bezels, but I am extremely doubtful that the "home" button is going anywhere.

Reactions: scapegoat81

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
The Apple Logo is all it takes. People still perceive it as the one to have. Whatever else it has or doesn't have hardly matters to those who buy the Apple brand.

Exactly. The fact that it is Apple makes all the difference and I know what to expect from it.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Maybe that you can use it as a phone?

I don't get it.

Have you been having troubles using the phone feature of iPhone????
Let me help you out, oh poor soul: ok.... now this has remained the same on like nine iterations so far & nobody else but you has had issues understanding *pats head gently*, but here goes- there's a green square icon with a white image of a phone on it... touch it. Go ahead; don't be afraid!!!! Yay!!! You did it.
You're on your way to being a BIG BOY!!
Ok, now you'll see numbers... they're in the same pattern as every single other phone on this planet. If you touch them in the correct order of a valid phone number, then press the green phone icon directly below them, and you have active service on your phone, you are now making a phone call!!!!

I'm gonna give you like another 7-8 years to REALLY try to nail that down, then come back here and say something dumb like "I hope you can use iPhone 12 to take a photo" & I will patiently walk you through that too, ok?

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Just go buy Nexus 9, you will get most of them.. beside Inductive charging... Boy, you do want Android phone... Most of the things Apple would never or gonna take them forever to get. If iPhone 7 get Fast Charging, then it would have any of remaining, what else would Apple milking you later?

The Nexus 9 is a tablet, not a phone.
Not sure what it is you're trying to suggest...

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
battery life.

I'd be down for this. Could you imagine if we got 7-9 hours of screen on time (depending if the person is a light or heavy user)? Was there any more rumors based on battery life being one of the biggest factor of the next iPhone? I remember seeing one rumor...but then it never reappeared. This was a few weeks ago, and was posted here.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I'd be down for this. Could you imagine if we got 7-9 hours of screen on time (depending if the person is a light or heavy user)? Was there any more rumors based on battery life being one of the biggest factor of the next iPhone? I remember seeing one rumor...but then it never reappeared. This was a few weeks ago, and was posted here.

You can get 7 hours of SOT on the 6s Plus. I have done it three times since I got the phone.

Last edited:

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
You can get 7 hours of SOT on the 6s Plus. I have done it three times since I got the phone.
Yeah, I know that. I just can't do the size of the 6S Plus. Far too big for me, especially in my pockets (when I already have to carry an inhaler that takes pocket room...). Besides, portability is something I absolutely love. I love the size of the normal model. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.