All iPads What do you use your iPad for?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iphonedude2008, Oct 18, 2014.

1. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

I have a MacBook air and an iPhone 6 plus. I'm perfectly happy doing things on my iPhone like web browsing. However, everyone on these forums talks about their iPads as if they were a nessacary and integral part of their computing set up. I'm an iOS developer so I do have an iPad, but I just feel like it has no use for me.

What do you use you iPad for that you can't/wont do on an iPhone pr laptop?

2. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my iPad for just this reason. I have an Air and it's fantastic for casual web browsing. It's pretty good for short emails and watching movies. But, anytime I want to do something more serious or even type a longer email, I inevitably find myself getting up to grab my laptop. Doing even some simple things like typing this post are a bit of a pain on the iPad, especially if getting content from another app is involved. It's a bit better if I set it down on a table and use the landscape keyboard. But, at that point, I'd rather have the real keyboard on my MacBook anyway.

Many people tout the ultra-portability of the iPad over a laptop, and it is lighter to be sure. But, since the Air can't fit in my pocket, it is likely going into my briefcase when I take it somewhere. My MacBook fits just as well in there, even if it is a bit heavier.

I recently picked up an iPhone 6, and the bigger screen makes it a lot better for casual "on the couch" type browsing activities than were previous generations. With my laptop now 4 years old, I am seriously tempted to sell both it and my iPad and put the proceeds toward a rMBP (especially after spending a couple days with Yosemite).

3. iphonedude2008 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

That's exactly how I feel about it. The iPad isnt that good for creating content, and my iPhone now has a big enough screen where I can consume content on it. I'm strange in that I actually prefer watching videos on my iPhone. I've watched the entire office series on my 5s. I just feel like it's too much of a hassle to have to load up everything on my iPad just to watch something.

4. iphonedude2008 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Anyone else want to share what you use you iPad for?

5. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Sure!! Lol :D

Browsing the web via Safari, reading books, Netflix, Email, and picture storage.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

My experience is just the opposite. I bought a 13" rMBP 2 weeks ago but ended up returning it. I usually use my iPad/laptop for browsing the net and streaming videos to my Apple TV.

When I got my 13" rMBP, I used it to have one browser on my HDTV so that after every episode I'd have to move my mouse cursor and click on the next episode to play while I surf the net (on the rMBP of course). Anyway, I felt that it was more of a hassle in using the multitouch trackpad instead of selecting the next episode from one of the iPad's tab on safari and just sending it to stream directly to my HDTV.

Not to mention that it costs significantly less, has roughly the same quality/resolution as the rMBP, and that streaming hd content for some reason looked better from the iPad than from the rMBP.

There is one quirk though and that is the keyboard. Typing is still not nearly as great as a laptop and I've been still missing a laptop from time to time. What I really want is a 11" MBA with a retina display, I think I would ditch my iPad for one of those.

I'm a developer as well (Microsoft technologies) but not for iOS. Recently work has been hinting that we might start doing development for the iOS. I was thinking about buying a 15" rMBP just to have a real sized laptop with a quad core that will allow me to do everything on it including running different OS with VMs as well as start dabbling in iOS development early on. Work will probably provide me with a rMBP but it still wouldn't be mine as it will be the company's property and I would probably start dabbling in other development as well such as Rubys on Rails.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

What do I use it for?

Absolutely everything I'd do on a computer, except images that need full Photoshop (with accurate color correction), and yearly tax returns.

I've written 100,000 word books and mucked around with recoding HTML/CSS widgets for jailbroken devices, with and without a physical keyboard, so it's not exactly a strictly consumption-based device for me. Casual photo editing--the post it up for family & friends kind. Taken extensive notes at seminars while recording the audio. Researched all kinds of things, from home repair projects to the latest published esophageal cancer research. Planned and purchased numerous trips. Helps track diet, exercise, and health changes. All my banking and bill paying for several years has been done on this thing. It's helped me stay in contact more easily with loved ones during both the good times and catastrophic medical events. And oh yeah, lots of book reading, surfing, casual gaming, and the like. It even functions as a TV remote for my cable and programs my DVR.

It replaced my MBP so thoroughly, I haven't needed to upgrade that device, which is now almost 6 years old. (And it's both cheaper and lighter than any replacement MBP will be.)

I do use my iPhone 5 for a lot too, and of the two, it's still the more critical device due to the actual phone aspect and the cellular data (iPad is wifi only, tethered to the phone as needed). But it's certainly a device I depend on a great deal, and more so than either of the full fledged computers in the house.

It's a tool. But it's not a hammer...not every toolbox needs one. Maybe it's a bad fit for what you need.

8. iphonedude2008 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Thanks for posting. That was really helpful. I'm glad you get so much out of your iPad. You're right, while some may find it greatly useful, in my case, it doesn't fit well with what I need.

9. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

Before I got my rMBP my iPad was my laptop. I had a cheap bluetooth keyboard for it and wrote papers for grad school on that thing. I've watched countless Netflix movies and episodes on it, read many books, surfed the web endlessly, and done more than a little gaming. It's been fantastic.

Now I have an rMBP the iPad gets used much, much less. It's mostly for reading and a little surfing (though the iPhone 6 gets used much more for that purpose). I use my rMBP for almost everything I did with the iPad because it's just as convenient if not more so.

I occasionally wonder if I'd use an Air more (I have the iPad 4), but I doubt a few ounces or millimeters will solve the fundamental issue: a $2500 laptop just beats a $500 tablet.

10. iphonedude2008 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Is that a 15" rMBP? I'm thinking of getting one just because the MacBook air is so slow at compiling. What do you think of the size/weight and display quality over the MBA? I would miss the 12 hour battery, but it's a small price to pay (not literally:D)

11. ada-lovelace macrumors newbie

News
    Browsing
    Emails
    Medical journals
    Research
    Presentation

The occasional word processing

12. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

My iPad air is my most used device. I bought a MacBook pro retina 15" about 2 months ago, I love it, but I still prefer my iPad. Most of the time I'm in the living room on the couch in front of the tv. My MacBook is on my desk hooked up to an external display. If I'm gonna play some civilization, downloading, lots of typing, printing, any kind productivity, then I use my MacBook. Otherwise my iPad is used for web browsing, Facebook, emails, news feeds, YouTube, AirPlay videos, music, reading magazines and as a remote. I thought that when I got my MacBook I wouldn't need my iPad but I'm so used to having it and using it. It's much easier to use than a computer, it's more mobile, it doesn't get warm and amazing battery life (15++ hours for me).

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Streaming video/photos from NAS
    eBook/PDF reader
    YouTube
    Instagram
    Web Browsing
    VNC into PC

14. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

Main uses:
    Reading
    Photo Albums
    A few games
    Facebook
    Web-browsing
    Calender
    Checkbook balancing/finacncial apps
    Streaming videos to an Apple TV (one day a week teaching)

This year I upgraded both my phone and laptop to a 6+ and rMBP yet my iPad 3 still gets the most use. My rMBP is plugged in at least half the time as I download TV shows and then stream them to an Apple TV. I have been taking my iPad to work with me as I can sneak a few chapters of reading in sometimes, but now my iPhone has a decent screen I just may use that. I don't think I could do long reading on it though.

15. organerito macrumors 6502

I am a professional musician. All of my music is in my iPad. If you could see my battery usage, it would say 84% is the Forscore app. I am one of those that if there is a 12.9 iPad, I will buy it on release day.
    My wife is also a musician. She has hers also. she never goes to the computer anymore. She does everything on the iPad.

16. TJone macrumors 6502a

I enjoy having an iPad rMini - but I an getting and Air 2 to give it a try. I have long train rides to the office and I read the news/Flipboard, books, watch movies, and send emails. It is mostly a consumption device for me. But I use some apps like Grafio (for flowcharts) for business and it has been very helpful. I prefer the iPhone 6 and using the iPad on the train saves my iPhone battery. Also for air travel and long flights I love having an iPad to watch as many movies as I want. I have a MacBook Air buy to me all these screens serve different purposes. I find watching movies or reading news is just not as enjoyable on an iPhone even the Plus which I tried for 2 weeks.

17. awests macrumors regular

Current undergrad here. iPad Air 2 is in the mail, but I know exactly what I will use it for. I will not use it for taking notes, there is just something about writing things on paper that helps me out with comprehension. I will mostly be using it as a .pdf reader, for all of my .pdf and online textbooks. I would also like to spend more time on campus because I like a little too far away to get home during my breaks without rushing around. Currently I use my MBP for my textbook needs when on campus, but it is getting old and it is heavy so I don't enjoy lugging it around.

18. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

Web browsing
    Social Media
    Netflix
    Emails
    Games
    Youtube

I use it mostly when lounging in bed or on the couch, and while travelling. However, since getting my iPhone 6, i find i've started to use that more as opposed to the iPad, but i mostly attribute that to the 6 being new as opposed to being a full replacement for my iPad.

19. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I use it to web surf when I'm at my desk, or i take to meetings to take notes, reply to email, or vnc into my work computer.

Much better walking around with an iPad than lugging my thick thinkpad like other co-workers.

20. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

It is.

I can't give a good comparison to the MBA since I don't have one, but I will say it's fast, the display is gorgeous, and the weight is negligible compared to basically any laptop. I haven't so much as booted up my desktop in half a year - haven't had to - and I do a reasonable bit of gaming... So the power is there as well.

21. iphonedude2008 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

If you didn't game on it, would you consider a 13"? The 15" model is great, I'm just not sure about the huge price tag

22. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

I would definitely consider it. The extra 2" is nice but not critically important.

23. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Reading MacRumors.

24. iphonedude2008 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Haha of course. #1 on the list

25. PegasusTenma macrumors regular

PegasusTenma

Everything?

I have a macbook and an iphone but the iPad is my main device when I am at home. Is so comfortable to use it while I am in bed.