Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I originally got an iPad mini because I had technical pdf documents and books I wanted to read, and didn't feel natural sitting at a laptop and using a mouse. Now I carry my library around in my suit jacket pocket.

And while it wouldn't have been enough to convince me to purchase one, it's more convenient than a phone for many purposes. The gps is more useable with larger maps,and I use it for taking notes or making emails in situations where a laptop would be inconvenient to carry around I'm making this post on the mini)

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I'm a writer, so I use my iPad to plan novels, write snippets, develop characters, sort out plot holes and timeline, revise - basically everything except the actual writing, but that might change once Scrivener is available for iOS. I also use it to read and notate friends' manuscripts. And of course, games, Internet, Twitter, online banking, etc.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Since I got my iPhone 6 I have used my iPad Air very little. I guess with the slightly larger screen I am using my phone for just about everything. Might even go for the 6+ and sell my Air.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Had a iPad mini before, but need a bigger screen. I use my iPad for steaming content to my ATV since I don't have cable, so all I see is coming from the iPad. Otherwise I use it for movies, music and such - all streaming in the house. The iPad can't replace my laptop (rMBP 15") cause its a beast of machinery, but for surfing and movies its wonderful - small and light

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Anyone else want to share what you use you iPad for?

Ever since Office for iPad came out, I use it quite a bit. Not for anything significant, but for reading and light editing while on airplanes or subways.

I also use GoodReader for storing PDF copies of books and manuals. The larger screen. Finally, I have an app that lets me use the iPad as a second monitor for a MacBook Pro over a WiFi connection.

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
creating and recording music with garageband/dm1. Playing games. Surfing the web. Watching movies. Youtube. Twitter. Almost everything the ipad offers me

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
At home:

Browsing, Netflix, Hulu, Surfline

I use tapatalk on my phone never my tablet. I just find typing not to be ideal on the iPad vs iPhone.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Reading
Streaming
tv shows
Netflix
Browsing
Emails
FaceTime
Macrumors of course#
Banking
Shopping
Travel companion

The list is endless really#

Kavier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I used to use my iPad all the time when I first got it 2+ yrs ago. Now, I find I barely use it, and, when I do, it's just for occasional web browsing. Now that I have the iPhone 6+, I am using it even less and thinking of selling it.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I mostly use mine for web surfing, email, books and magazine consumption. I have an iPhone 6, a 2010 MBP 13" but use my iPad more than any other device while at home. I love the thing which is why I can't wait for my new Air 2.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I use it for:
Reading e-book
Web-Browsing
Games
Social media & Chat
Music listening & youtube
everything else that I do on my iPhone

Basically iPad does everything my iPhone does, just that with bigger screen it's much easier on my eyes and make the whole experience more enjoyable. I don't want to force my eyes to squint to see my 4" iphone screen.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Reading Magazines
Playing Games
Web Browsing
Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime.
Email
Shopping
Drawing and Sketching
Music And Spotify

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Last Columbus Day weekend, I took a vacation in the Bay area so I decided to take Greyhound bus iPad Air comes with me I enjoyed watching movies with Wireless Harddrive. Also checking with FB, tweets, FaceTime, and playing games. At the expensive hotel with free wifi is down no other free wifi nearby so I still watch movies (I have more than 150 movies) anyway. :apple:

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
What do I use it for?

Absolutely everything I'd do on a computer, except images that need full Photoshop (with accurate color correction), and yearly tax returns.

I've written 100,000 word books and mucked around with recoding HTML/CSS widgets for jailbroken devices, with and without a physical keyboard, so it's not exactly a strictly consumption-based device for me. Casual photo editing--the post it up for family & friends kind. Taken extensive notes at seminars while recording the audio. Researched all kinds of things, from home repair projects to the latest published esophageal cancer research. Planned and purchased numerous trips. Helps track diet, exercise, and health changes. All my banking and bill paying for several years has been done on this thing. It's helped me stay in contact more easily with loved ones during both the good times and catastrophic medical events. And oh yeah, lots of book reading, surfing, casual gaming, and the like. It even functions as a TV remote for my cable and programs my DVR.

It replaced my MBP so thoroughly, I haven't needed to upgrade that device, which is now almost 6 years old. (And it's both cheaper and lighter than any replacement MBP will be.)

I do use my iPhone 5 for a lot too, and of the two, it's still the more critical device due to the actual phone aspect and the cellular data (iPad is wifi only, tethered to the phone as needed). But it's certainly a device I depend on a great deal, and more so than either of the full fledged computers in the house.

It's a tool. But it's not a hammer...not every toolbox needs one. Maybe it's a bad fit for what you need.

Photoshop is exactly the only thing I really want my MacBook Pro for. Everything else is more relaxing on iPad for me. No way is a laptop as easy to have on your actual lap while watching TV or when you want to keep moving around. It's just the ultimate web and app access while on the couch. And iPhone 6 is too small for long sessions.

And it's a damn good reason for print media to just about die for their digital counterparts. Photos in TIME Magazine have never looked more stunning than when backlit on an iPad.

ppfd

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
West Virginia USA
Pretty much have similar uses.

I find I over lap with my laptop and I'm fine with that. I game, and read on my pad mostly.

I'm going air 2 soon and will most likely grab a keyboard case again. And use it as a lightweight laptop until Apple releases a new air.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I use mine for:

Books
Web surfing
Music on my home stereo
Watching videos, movies, and ESPN
iMessage
News

While convenient, it's easily my least used Apple device. Honestly the biggest reason I keep it around these days is because my MacBook pro is pretty heavy in comparison for walking around all day with. Since I've gotten my iPhone 6 I've finally felt the iPhone screen to be big enough for watching videos on so it's also losing ground to iPhone for that reason (my iPad mini 2 is 16gb, iPhone 6 has 128gb). So overall I'm starting to feel that it's being relegated to becoming just a web surfing and ebook reading device. I tend to use my MacBook Pro more at home and the iPhone 6 more while on the go.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
The iPad makes a really good 'lunch break' computer. Better than trying to de-stress by browsing on your phone. Or bringing your laptop with you and thus making it very obvious to your boss that you plan to be gone for 'a while'.

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
It's weird to me how many people in an iPad forum seem to talk like it isn't worth having.

kanon14

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Hong Kong
I'm a writer, so I use my iPad to plan novels, write snippets, develop characters, sort out plot holes and timeline, revise - basically everything except the actual writing, but that might change once Scrivener is available for iOS. I also use it to read and notate friends' manuscripts. And of course, games, Internet, Twitter, online banking, etc.

Scrivener is the number one app I've been waiting for in the iOS. Really hope it can get released this year

technofunky

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2011
India
The main reason I got the iPad was to watch videos in bed, I have a desk job so majority of my day goes sitting at a desk. So when at home I use the iPad to watch all the stuff while lying down in bed.

Apart from that I use it for,

Ebooks
YouTube
Web Browsing
Reddit

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Scrivener is the number one app I've been waiting for in the iOS. Really hope it can get released this year

They put out a status update a couple of months ago that they're now looking at a 2015 release. I'm hoping for early (very early) 2015, but it's not in beta yet, so...that might be optimistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.