What do you use your Optical Drive for (if at all)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by euphrus, Feb 22, 2011.

1. euphrus macrumors member

Hopefully with the upcoming of the loss of the optical drive on the macbook pro, it made me think just how much i use my optical drive and if i could live without one with me all the time. I rip movies, burn cd's, and install software occasionally so i think i could manage with an external, but who else could live with or live without an optical drive?

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

making copies of illicit software.

EDIT: In all honesty, I could get away with an external. In fact, Id prefer an external drive. I usually only burn cd's, the occasional movie, and install some software.

3. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

Sometimes watch movies on airplanes. I have a lot of stuff downloaded though. Also use it to download software a lot, as well as another way to boot up the computer when I have had issues.

4. Kalach macrumors member

Kalach

Used mine once to install a game and another time when i upgraded to a new harddrive and had to install snow leopard.

Haven't used since...

5. celticpride678

Honestly, I've had my Mac for nearly two years now. I've probably used the SuperDrive a total of five times - two of those were reinstalls of Mac OS X.

Almost all software is available online now, and so are movies.

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

7. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

I use it to install Software (especially for windows, lots of stuff I have or get comes on a DVD), watch a dvd on an airplane or anywhere away from home in general. I could of course use an external drive but the Internal is much more convenient and I would much rather have an internal drive than have a macbook pro that is .25 inches thinner or .3 pounds lighter...

In fact one of the reasons I decided to get a macbook pro was because it had an internal dvd drive while still being pretty thin.

8. rawCpoppa macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Install snow leopard, watch movies on DVD. Burn music CDs. Install windows xp via Bootcamp. Rip audio CDs.

Personally I find those calling for the removal of the SuperDrive so soon to be premature as it is nowhere near as useless as floppies were at that point in history.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Playing DVDs, ripping DVDs, ripping Blu-ray, ripping music, making video DVDs... I have two drives and use both extensively.

10. euphrus thread starter macrumors member

I cant decide between the tradeoff of more hdd space plus less weight against the convenience of having an optical drive just incase you need it...such a big decision

11. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

Install/update Apple's own software. No really, that's it.

12. vectus macrumors member

13. nwbusa macrumors regular

Rip dvd's with HB, and play old CD-based games.

14. MBX macrumors 65816

To hide dust in.

I used to do hide it under a rug but now that i got rid of the rug few years ago i use the optical drive.

It's useful for something at least.

15. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Ripping and burning, the rare movie. I don't think I've actually used it in a manner I couldn't live without in a long time, so long as I have an external.

For some reason I still have a mental block on the laptop going without it. :confused:

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

burn cds, burn dvds, archive data, rip dvds , install software and those sorts of activities.

The people below below me will say how much nobody uses it and how much we are all utilizing antiquated technology even though you can't reinstall the OS without a Disk (unless you are on the MBA).

v v v v

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

A lot of people still use DVDs, believe it or not.

18. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

This.

At first thought of not having an optical drive I shuddered, but after some thought I would be fine with an external. I only use mine now for ripping my DVDs into iTunes & burning the occasional audio CD.

19. skier777 macrumors 6502

I use mine mostly to watch DVD's, rip CD's and burn digital images to DVD.
    Netflix and music downloads will eventually replace the first two functions, but for photography you really need the ODD to burn photos. The camera resolutions go up and up and I might do two 4GB shoots in a single day. For information stored on HDD's, i like to have two copies, whereas I feel comfortable keeping a single DVD as an archive. Say I shoot 20GB of photos a week, I would have to buy 4, 500GB HDD's every year. Its so much easier to just burn a DVD and put it in a drawer, not to mention normally faster.

When HDD space, and internet bandwidth become cheap, we will be able to simply rent space on a server somewhere and store your files offsite (in the cloud). But for now, lets keep the ODD.

20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Riping DVD's. Gotta love Ripit! I would rather have another SSD and just buy an external.

21. ronjon10 macrumors regular

I use it on my desktop on occasion to rip CDs and dvds. I've never used it on my laptop.

I'd do just fine with an external connected via lightpeak if I had a need for an optical drive.

22. Beige Panda macrumors newbie

Burning DVDs of my work for clients/producers/directors. Installing software. Ripping music CDs at highest quality because MP3s and their ilk really suck. Also nice for burning data DVDs every once in a while if I need to get a large file from one place to another without exchanging hard drives or flash drives.

23. intelgrande macrumors member

Rip CDs, burn CDs, data backup, watch movies (on the go), and sometimes install software. No, I don't feel like having an external on my lap while watching a movie on an airplane, nor do I feel like ripping that movie to my computer when I'm only going to watch it once (redbox).

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I don't. It's been broken for quite some time.

Last time I used it was to download some tax prep software last year, and I realized it wasn't working when I tried to download the update to the software this year.

I have never watched a dvd on my computer... that's what my plasma tv is for! :D

25. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I might've used it only 3 times in the 2 years that I have owned this MBP.

What a fail.