What do you want for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Oct 2, 2012.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

What do you want for Christmas? At the moment I can't think of anything except a Sterling Silver Victorinox Classic SD knife:

[​IMG]

How about you? Post pics.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Cash. To break even on the money I spend buying other people gifts.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

That's the Christmas spirit!

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Seems quite a bit early to start thinking of Christmas presents. Anyways I'd say that I want a restored Marantz 2285B. To replace the current receiver I am using for my computers audio which is a Harmon Karmon HK3500.

MARANTZ2285B-003.jpg

Not only are these beautiful to look at. These old well made analog stereos produce much cleaner sound than most of the modern digital junk. Unless you start looking at high end modern audio equipment. They have much lower total harmonic distortion than most modern equipment.

Sure it doesn't do five plus channel audio. I've found I like the powerful room filling sound of two large towers over any number of tiny surround speakers.

5. lionqueen macrumors 6502

A Mac computer. Ive been a pc girl for years, but i love my iphone and ipad, and i cant help being curious what its like to use a Mac.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

A 2012 iMac. Apart from that the new Call of Duty game and the new Halo. Other than that some nice food and cold beer.

7. righteye, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

righteye macrumors 6502

Like organic food, similar but somewhat nicer and more expensive.

For Christmas a new Knee, failing that a top quality Japanese kitchen knife (the

knife having nothing to do with the Knee)

Attached Files:

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I get most everything I need or even want through out the year so for Christmas I have no real needs (or wants). My focus is getting my children and wife gifts. I have more fun getting them stuff and seeing their faces light up when they open up presents :)

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Since I can't afford what I want, I will go with world peace. :)

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Hence the term, "it is better to give than receive!" :)

I'm the same way, I get the things I need/want at the time I need/want them. So it's not easy for others to buy for me; but it doesn't bother me. I enjoy doting on my niece and sister more than getting things for myself.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My post is the very essence of that philosophy and I don't say that to be coy but I mean it. Nothing brings me more joy on Christmas then to see my daughter's face light up on getting something she's really wanted.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Time to get work done for university so I'm not too stressed out for the new year.

I never seem to get much done over the christmas holiday and this year I really need to, so I'm hoping my family will be understanding.

Materially speaking there is nothing that I especially would like.

13. lionqueen macrumors 6502

I respect this and you sound like a great guy, but i hope you don't do the whole 'no, dont buy me anything, there's nothing I want or need'. As much as you like to give gifts, your wife/ kids ect probably like it too. For a long time my bf would say 'dont buy me anything, i dont need anything, dont waste your money', and then buy me a big gift. It honestly felt borderline insulting after a while. I like to give gifts as much as he does.

Luckily we talked it out and he understands now, and doesnt say 'theres nothing i want, save your money' anymore - he'll actually give me a few ideas of what he wants, i pick one and get it for him, and he opens it and says its great and thanks me :)

14. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I really want two things: snow, and for all my cousins to be at Christmas this year.

Snow because I live in Los Angeles and really miss the distinctive seasons (although I don't miss freezing my @ss off or shoveling), plus it would be really nice for Christmas sledding, snowball fights, etc.

I have a huge family, and we all gather at my father's house on Christmas Day for dinner after all the individual families have opened presents on Christmas morning. It's easily 40+ people, and it really is my favorite part of the holiday. My great aunts cook and give life advice, my grandfather complains about his presents, my father, sisters, and uncles argue over the basketball game. My godmother nags me about having kids. My similar-age cousins drink and talk about family gossip. Little kids run through the house knocking things over, new babies are passed around.

I really can't wait. :)

15. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

All I wan't for Christmas is the continued good health of my family and I. That's it!..... and maybe a new macbook pro thrown in as well :)

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Much like maflynn, I've pretty much reached the point where if there's something material I want I just end up buying for myself eventually. Christmas has a much different meaning to me now than it did in my younger years. As long as I can be around people I love I'll be happy.

17. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

This. I think Christmas has gotten way to commercialized. It's all about what we want. I want this. I want that. Ohhhhh 80% a 10000000" screen TV at Worst Buy. Yea it's cool when you're a child, but after awhile it's more about the things money can't buy.

For other things there's Mastercard. Sorry had too!

Without going too much off topic, I remember reading stories where people have been trampled to death on black Friday. And one woman lost her baby because somebody had to have a big screen TV or something. Talk about first world problems.

Ok I'll stop there.

Back on topic. I'd like to see some snow! A true White Christmas. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJSUT8Inl14

18. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Now you're talking. A White Christmas would be awesome. Time to start thinking about getting my snow blower ready!

19. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

So do you use a phonograph as well? I had friends in college that were audiophiles and had a nice analog receiver and would play most of their music on their phonograph. To me there was nothing better than listening to a Radiohead album on vinyl while sipping on a cup of coffee.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Pokemon Red. Casually wanted it since it launched, I think it's about time I got it. I'll write it on my Christmas list for my parents.

22. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I generally buy whatever I need throughout the year so nothing comes to mind.

I'm really looking forward to spending time with my family and decorating the house though. And not having school for a bit.

24. Colombianito macrumors member

I am probably going to get myself a Noveske 8.2" Barrel .300 AAC BLK SBR.

[​IMG]