What does Windows do right?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .fred, Dec 11, 2007.

1. .fred macrumors regular

Hey.

I tried using Acronis Disk Director Suite or something on the Windows com, and tried to create my third partition without losing my data. However, it failed. However, now the supposedly 3gb extra partition is not there, and the disk has gone from 11gb to 8gb left!. If i backup everything and reformat my external drive, will be regain the 3gb loss? seems like windows does not do anything right at all..:apple:

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

yes that should work as it seems like a software error as supposed to a hardware error.

Hope this sorts out your problem!

3. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Software?

It's an external hard disk?

Anyway, is there way to format my disc to FAT32 on Leopard? I want to format it to FAT32 and create 3 partitions of different sizes.

Any help someone?

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

This sounds more like your inability to use Acronis than a "Windows" problem. Dude, try it again without thinking "Windows sukkks" in your head, and it'll probably go a lot better :^)

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Did you remember to create the new partition?

6. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i pressed commit or something.It doesn't show up under my computer. Maybe i haven't formatted it?

7. mmzplanet macrumors regular

mmzplanet

ok... is this the external you wanted linux on? (other thread) Is this attached to a mac, or is this another computer you have? You mention formatting in leopard in addition to using Windows software to partition.

Yes, Leopard will partition and format each partition with FAT32 if you like.

8. redshift20 macrumors member

Thank you... and I agree completely!

What does Windows do right? I can list about 100 things that it does better than OS X if you want me to <gasp> :eek:

9. lawson macrumors newbie

It sounds like you haven't created a new partition on your hard drive. Have you tried using the disk manager in administrative tools? It should show the missing 3GB as 'unallocated space', you can then use disk manager to create a new partition in that space in whatever in FAT32 or NTFS.

Hope this helps!

10. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

Yes. Use disk utility. Click on the drive and then on partitions. Choose 3 (or however many) from the drop down menu and their formats and click apply. Done. You will however lose any data you have on the drive.

11. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

What does Windows do right?

Games. (Well at least better than OS X) :p

12. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

^ I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this thread title a little off. I mean, Windows does a lot of things "right." Right now I'm typing on this forum on a Windows box, without hiccups, stalls, crashes, etc.

13. $MacUser$ macrumors 6502

I will second that...GAMES!

I was considering an iMac, and realized for the price of a maxed out 24" I could get a Mac Mini AND a smokin' PC gaming rig. Best of both worlds.

An Apple will never be able to play games well, unless Apple stops selling hardware. And if Apple stops selling hardware, OSX will suffer from driver conflicts, etc. So, all things considered, Windows does have a place in the world.

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Windows XP is a perfectly fine operating system. If not for my desire to try a program that only ran on Tiger, I'd still be using it. And I can easily say that the average PC user is far less insufferable than the average Mac user, if fanboyish threads like these are any indication in the matter.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The only reason I have to use Windows.

17. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

18. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Apparently, Windows did a lot of things right to take away Apple's market share.

19. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

What ever Windows did right had absolutely nothing to do with todays market share and is, was all about licensing.

20. SawTooth500 macrumors member

So, if WinDoze does every thing right, how come you are on a Mac site?
    Why are you using WinDoze programs on your Mac?
    And as for games there are a lot that won't work on WinDoze.
    Why are there so many of us on Macs?
    Windows does NOT run on all hardware!!

And some one explain Vista to me. I've not heard anything good about it yet.
    Except for the fact that it runs faster on a Mac! Documented and in the news that way, yet!:apple:

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

For a start the whole M$, WinDoze etc. thing is very tiresome.

Windows does a lot of things right that apple could learn a hell of a lot from.

For example the Trash, why is there no restore button seriously I was hoping that this would come in Leopard. Now going to have to wait another 2 years to get a feature that has been in windows for ages.

Edit: Don't want my answer to this get lost in the whole thread
    I don' think you know what the restore button in windows is.

The restore button is for when the file is still in the trash. It will "restore" the file to the original location on the drive.

22. heatmiser macrumors 68020

First of all, as the guy above me said, unless you're a 15-year old kid who just discovered OS X, this whole "windoze" thing is just childish.

Second of all, this is a strawman. Absolutely no one here said "Windows does everything right", so take that straw somewhere else.

I use OS X because I like the interface (very colorful, and doesn't use as much screenspace for window borders) and because I wanted to try something new after years of XP.

For all sorts of reasons. I'd suspect, though, that the majority of people just want to get stuff done, and couldn't care less which computer they used, as long as it did what they told it to. Plenty of people are satisfied Windows users, and plenty more are satisfied Mac users. This isn't a bloody football rivalry. I don't count myself as one of "us", or a Windows user as one of "them". Grow up. Life isn't nearly so black and white.

No one has to explain Vista to you. If you don't like it, don't use it. No one's forcing you to install it on your computer. I don't use Vista because I preferred XP, which is what I always used on my Gateways. Other people prefer Vista. Others prefer Linux, or OS X, or other operating systems entirely. What's the big deal?

23. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Leopard has this too, it's called Time Machine :D
    But seriously when I empty the trash I want it gone for good and not floating around somewhere on my system.
    I just look over my trash bin one more time before I empty it out to make sure there is nothing in there I may want to keep.

24. heatmiser macrumors 68020

As a general response to the thread title, one thing Windows does right is µTorrent. It's not a Microsoft thing, but it's pretty crazy that there isn't yet an equivalent to µ on OS X. Don't say Azureus, because that's like comparing a mouse to an elephant. There simply isn't a torrent client half as versatile, tiny, or efficient as the µ on the Mac. Upon switching, that's one of the things I miss the most.

25. $MacUser$ macrumors 6502

OSX, to me, is just a lot "cleaner" than Windows, in a number of ways. That's why I'm willing to shell out the money for a PC (for PC exclusive things) and a Mac for everything else. OSX obviously has enough appeal to get someone like me, who is very cash conscious, to allot extra funds just so I can run it.

But yeah, I agree, the whole WinDoze thing is tired. Its fun every now and again to use it as a self-conscious joke, but when you're being serious...