Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now that Apple's annual iPhone and Apple Watch event is in the rear-view mirror, attention shifts towards what the company has planned for the remainder of the year. And based on the latest rumors, there might not be a whole lot coming, if anything.

Whats-Next-For-Apple-Post-Wonderlust-Feature.jpg

At this point, the chances of an Apple event in October are looking quite unlikely, as supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently said that he does not expect Apple to release any new MacBooks or iPads between now and the end of 2023.

Kuo did not rule out new desktop Macs launching this year, so there is still a possibility of the long-awaited iMac with an M3 chip being announced with a press release on Apple's website next month, but there have not been any specific rumors suggesting this will happen. It's also unclear if Apple wants to debut the M3 chip in the iMac. Given that Apple's upcoming Vision Pro is equipped with the M2 chip, another possibility is that Apple waits until after the headset launches in early 2024 to announce the M3 chip. As for other desktop Macs, the Mac mini, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro were all already updated this year.

With the iPhone lineup, Apple Watch lineup, and AirPods Pro all updated last week, there are few if any remaining Apple products and accessories that are likely to be updated by the end of this year. A new HomePod mini, Apple TV, AirTag, and AirPods Max are expected to launch in 2024 at the earliest, the full-sized HomePod is still fairly new, and there are no rumors suggesting that new versions of the Studio Display or Pro Display XDR are imminent. Even the Beats lineup is up to date with the new Beats Studio Buds+ and Beats Studio Pro.

Apple could have some surprise announcements planned for later this year, but as of now it is looking like it could be rather quiet for the remainder of 2023.

Article Link: What Else to Expect From Apple This Year Following the iPhone Event

Last edited:

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
It wouldn’t make any sense for Apple to release Vision Pro on M2. They had to state that at the introduction, but now they should state the all new M3 in Vision Pro. It makes far more sense.

As far as the rest of the lineup, people would be pretty upset if they released the MBAs with M3 this year. Same with MBPs as both were released this year.

The only thing that would make sense is an updated iMac with M3, as it’s pretty old and they could get some holiday sales.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
At this point, the chances of an Apple event in October are looking quite unlikely, as supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently said that he does not expect Apple to release any new MacBooks or iPads between now and the end of 2023.

Kuo did not rule out new desktop Macs launching this year, so there is still a possibility of the long-awaited iMac with an M3 chip being announced with a press release on Apple's website next month, but there have not been any specific rumors suggesting this will happen
We just going to pretend Mark Gurman never said there was likely an October even for M3 iMac?

Given that Apple launched new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models in January, and more recently new 15-inch MacBook Air, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro models in June, Gurman believes the first beneficiaries of the new M3 chip will be the next iMac, 13-inch MacBook Air, and 13-inch MacBook Pro.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Life points to -> Nothing.
Small updates made to products that already exist. I thought the last few years of updates were boring. The newest iPhone event was the accumulation of all yearly thoughts into one.

I won't be satisfied until I can plug my USB-C house into my iPhone to charge my entire house and electric car.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Not coming this year I’m sure, but a larger, 14” iPad Pro and redesigned Magic Keyboard would be worthy of an upgrade. I love my M1 MacBook Air, but I use my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 10:1 more frequently. I love the dual interface between touch and keyboard. A bigger display would be nice for media consumption.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
My best guess: maybe press-release M2 iMac and iPad Air updates... neither seemingly big enough to justify an hour or two of video presentation on the campus.
There is NOT going to be an M2 iMac. All the rumours state the iMac is skipping M2 and going straight to M3.

I admit I will be somewhat disappointed if the upgraded iMac doesn’t come out by the end of the year. It’s long overdue.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013
I didn't think of the vision pro variable...
Makes sense for Apple to wait its release before announcing a better chip.
This however will play to our disadvantage, as we'll have to wait much more for the 3rd gen M series.
At this point I think it'll be M3 in May 2024 and the M3 Ultra in November 2024

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.