What fictional location would you like to be able to visit?

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No thanks, I think I'll give Florida a miss, for now.
Something designed for entertainment and thrills just would not cut it especially if the desire is authentic. Then there is being surrounded by noisy touristas in shorts, t-shirts and loud children. But it is interesting how something artificial can be substituted for real and be satisfying in some circumstances. One example is Mainstreet in both Disneyland and Disneyworld, but it is just shops and restaurants filled with those pesky tourists I mentioned. I think I’d leave Hogwarts to the books, movies and my imagination. :)

My guess is that computer games are not your thing, but it is a form of escapism and one of the most impressive artificial worlds I’ve seen is Minecraft’s Norse Mashup pack, all built with rectangular blocks and accompanying music. I also prefer solo games worlds because they are unpolluted by other players.

How many of hundreds of hours went into this?​

Last edited:

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
It’s kind of what I see on the East Coast of the US turning into one huge never ending megatropolis. And for something like Coruscant, I’d imagine the lower levels become rough and dangerous. I can’t remember the name of the game I played, a long while ago, maybe it was a Star Wars game, (solo RPG) and that was how it was, the lower levels were infested in the gangs and the under world of crime. Then there was The Star Wars MMO and as I recall the Corescant like planet was a ruin in that one.
FF7 was like that.
- - Post merged: - -

Fantasia after the nothing was defeated.

Reactions: Huntn

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
It’s kind of what I see on the East Coast of the US turning into one huge never ending megatropolis. And for something like Coruscant, I’d imagine the lower levels become rough and dangerous. I can’t remember the name of the game I played, a long while ago, maybe it was a Star Wars game, (solo RPG) and that was how it was, the lower levels were infested in the gangs and the under world of crime. Then there was The Star Wars MMO and as I recall the Corescant like planet was a ruin in that one.
Planet wide cities is nothing new in Sci Fi and usually always has a seedy crime filled underbelly. not very unique to any particular franchise.

for Star Wars, they use that basic premise quite frequently. and In the SWTOR (MMO) the ruined planet like that was Taris. Which was bombarded by the Sith during the events of KOTOR 1

I ... maybe a bit of a Star Wars nerd :p

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I don't understand the appeal of Vulcan. It's dry and hot, nothing but dust and rocks as far as the eye can see.

Add to that, you'll be surrounded by millions of arrogant elitist. But from a Vulcan perspective, they aren't being arrogant, only realistic. Vulcans are 3 times stronger, smarter, more durable, more resilient, longer lived...in short superior to human in every measurable way.:oops: Well, we have better barbers. Every male Vulcan seems to sport the same bowl cut.:D

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
I don't understand the appeal of Vulcan. It's dry and hot, nothing but dust and rocks as far as the eye can see.

Add to that, you'll be surrounded by millions of arrogant elitist. But from a Vulcan perspective, they aren't being arrogant, only realistic. Vulcans are 3 times stronger, smarter, more durable, more resilient, longer lived...in short superior to human in every measurable way.:oops: Well, we have better barbers. Every male Vulcan seems to sport the same bowl cut.:D
This is one thing I particularly disliked about the Elves in the Eragon series - it felt like the Author had taken stock Tolkienesque wood Elves and turned the magical-hippiness up to 11 and created a whole Mary-Sue race of 'Humans but better' without any of the deeper thought behind why they were immortal, powerful, highly skilled etc. in Tolkien's legendarium and more importantly what the balancing downsides of these attributes are. So I suppose much the same goes for Vulcan as the Elven forest in Eragon (though in general I do love woodland locations/ scenery!)

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
This is one thing I particularly disliked about the Elves in the Eragon series - it felt like the Author had taken stock Tolkienesque wood Elves and turned the magical-hippiness up to 11 and created a whole Mary-Sue race of 'Humans but better' without any of the deeper thought behind why they were immortal, powerful, highly skilled etc. in Tolkien's legendarium and more importantly what the balancing downsides of these attributes are. So I suppose much the same goes for Vulcan as the Elven forest in Eragon (though in general I do love woodland locations/ scenery!)
didn't get through the whole book, but I do give the author some credit on the simplicity of the writing.

He was a teenager when he wrote it afterall

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spoiler: Not sure I see the appeal of visiting two adjacent triangles with a filled circle hanging over them... ;)
- - Post merged: - -

I read the first Eragon book and it did not grab me enough to continue with the series. At this point, I don't remember too much about it. No offense to anyone intended...

Lassepetesen

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2020
Denmark
For some people it may be Oz. For others it might be the coffee shop from Friends.

For me it’s Gotham City. In particular, the one from the TV series Gotham. I’m well aware that various New York City locations “stood in” for Gotham City...but boy, what locations! Gotham’s train station and City Hall were majestic, beautifully photogenic examples of architecture...as was the most familiar location, Gotham Police Headquarters. There were gorgeous theatre exteriors and tall, cathedral-like clock towers.

Even the run-down sections—bridge underpasses and lonely windswept docks—were wonderfully evocative of a city fallen on hard times. There’s even a very long one-way lane that James Gordon drives down, with a chain link fence that runs its entire length, that I could swear also turned up in the movie “Joker”.

That’s not even counting the Great Hall at Wayne Manor, which I assume was way too elaborate to be a studio set.

So yeah, I’d like to visit Gotham. And because it’s also a real life, standing location (as opposed to CG or an elaborate set like the 4077th M*A*S*H), it would actually be possible to visit it...if you knew where all those locations are. (Tour operators, there’s an idea to attract Batman fans!)
100 acre wood from Winnie the Poo
For some people it may be Oz. For others it might be the coffee shop from Friends.

For me it’s Gotham City. In particular, the one from the TV series Gotham. I’m well aware that various New York City locations “stood in” for Gotham City...but boy, what locations! Gotham’s train station and City Hall were majestic, beautifully photogenic examples of architecture...as was the most familiar location, Gotham Police Headquarters. There were gorgeous theatre exteriors and tall, cathedral-like clock towers.

Even the run-down sections—bridge underpasses and lonely windswept docks—were wonderfully evocative of a city fallen on hard times. There’s even a very long one-way lane that James Gordon drives down, with a chain link fence that runs its entire length, that I could swear also turned up in the movie “Joker”.

That’s not even counting the Great Hall at Wayne Manor, which I assume was way too elaborate to be a studio set.

So yeah, I’d like to visit Gotham. And because it’s also a real life, standing location (as opposed to CG or an elaborate set like the 4077th M*A*S*H), it would actually be possible to visit it...if you knew where all those locations are. (Tour operators, there’s an idea to attract Batman fans!)
100 acre wood and winnie the pooh :)

Reactions: compwiz1202

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
inter-prandial
There's a place that I'd visit if I had the chance,
And it isn't near Italy, Denmark, or France.

It's a place in a story I heard as a child,
Whose people are known as warm-hearted and mild.

It's not a big city, as some like to trumpet,
Just a small village not far from Mount Crumpit.

That bit of geography makes it a cinch,
And if that's not enough: there's an infamous Grinch.

The Grinch is reformed now, or so I've been told,
For that was the story that I learnt of old.

I won't write its name, for I'd not spoil the fun
Of you finding it out. Now this post is done.

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
There's a place that I'd visit if I had the chance,
And it isn't near Italy, Denmark, or France.

It's a place in a story I heard as a child,
Whose people are known as warm-hearted and mild.

It's not a big city, as some like to trumpet,
Just a small village not far from Mount Crumpit.

That bit of geography makes it a cinch,
And if that's not enough: there's an infamous Grinch.

The Grinch is reformed now, or so I've been told,
For that was the story that I learnt of old.

I won't write its name, for I'd not spoil the fun
Of you finding it out. Now this post is done.
I'd definitely like to go there.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
inter-prandial
I'd definitely like to go there.
Though idyllic it seems, I would change one parameter:
No one can speak in a rhyming tetrameter.

Narration or dialog, either should be
Unconstrained by a meter, just plain prosody.

It seizes your mind and affects all your thinking –
I'm trapped in it now, and I fear that I'm sinking!

Go rescue yourself from this rhythm insidious,
My hopes are all dashed; my future looks hideous!

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
That mythical place somewhere between Ukraine and Bangladesh in Pompeo's living room.

I know, I know... but it's not politics really. More a kind of historical fiction.

• Haha