Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I think System 7.6.1 has to be my favorite older version of Mac OS. Of course, that was the version on the Macs when I was in design school so while I'm aware of System 6 and before I had no practical experience with it. I also skipped iOS 8 entirely and got my first job on Macs running iOS 7 and later iOS 9.

Graphically I liked it a lot better than anything until OS X 10.3.

I think 7.6.1 was also amongst the most stable of classic MacOS releases too. It's also not greedy on system resources.

I've standardized on 9.2.2 on my G3 PowerBooks as I've replaced the drives with solid state alternatives, but have yet to do the same with the earlier models. I'm still trying to get a SCSI2SD 5.5 to work that I can use as a boot drive/MacOS installer on the 100 and 500 series PBs - otherwise they're running the various MacOS versions from when I bought each one.

I did rather like the simplicity of System 6, but it was rather basic! Back in those days, the OS was mostly there to get the system out of your way as a user - System 6 did that pretty well!

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
I can confirm another website to work with InterWebPPC/10.4Fx: NameSilo's web hosting interface. Through it on my Benbridge, I got my website UltraReality (that I wrote on Donatello with Classilla Composer) up and running. It's actually decently speedy, at that -- far faster than Fiverr's web interface. Fully featured, too, including drag and drop file uploads.

Last edited:

PC mcLinMorph

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2021
Recieved my second chinese battery-replacement for my powerbook G4 15. No, this one didn't work either (surprice), anyway, it was nice of the german importers to send me another one anyway. Duh. Next time i'll pay the full price for a good quality NewerTech NuPower i think.

Other than that... I'm waiting, and waiting for Adelie Linux RC3 to, finally, be announced

Reactions: lepidotós

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Watched the last hour of Evolution 2022 on Twitch using the DC G5.

evolution-2022-g5.png

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Can you elaborate on what is happening on your screen......:oops:
Is this a 'live' deathmatch being streamed, with viewers posting comments below......?

It's all new to me......😬

Are you running Linux (from the top right readout), or Windows.

dextructor

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
Can you elaborate on what is happening on your screen......:oops:
Is this a 'live' deathmatch being streamed, with viewers posting comments below......?

It's all new to me......😬

Are you running Linux (from the top right readout), or Windows.
To my knowledge he it's watching EVO tournament but I dind know that it was already going on this year and following the live chat with Chatterino that is available in the Void repo (I'm "too old" to watch and chat at the same time:p) and it's Void Linux (XFCE, ICEWM?) with some themes to look like Windows 9X/2K (expired link by now, but if you ask I'm sure that he in the right time will share again)

Last edited:

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
A Power Mac after my heart, that G5.

All I did was put OS 9 back on the Beige Restoration Project after realising that the Wings card is not fully functional on OS X Server.

also i got a wings card for the beige restoration project

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I used a SCSI2SDv5.5 as a thumb drive, to install a bunch of software including Office 4.2.1, Claris Works 4, Photoshop 5, PageMaker 6.5, WordPerfect 3.5e and HyperCard 2.4 on a new PowerBook 5300cs.

Not just new to me, but an actual new PowerBook 5300cs, previously unused and still sealed in its wrapper. Manufacture date November 1997.
5300 unpacked.jpeg

5300 install.jpeg

I do seem to like these!

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Would it not have been worth a fortune..💵💵💵💵💵💵...if left sealed....:oops:

I thought it might be worth a bit, and I was tempted to leave it sealed up once I'd actually seen it and verified that it was indeed sealed from the factory as it had been described. But I only buy what I plan to use, and a PB5300 is as close to perfect for what I need as I've found. Plus, well, it didn't actually cost that much - which is why I was rather doubting the description was accurate.

What it might be worth sealed up is an abstract, but what it's worth in the pleasure of using it is very tangible. Admittedly, I'm probably weird!

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Today i streamed to twitch.tv via the G5. I tested the ability to use discord in firefox, watch youtube, got audio mostly working etc. Everything is laggy due to ffmpeg using 95% cpu to create the stream, but hey, it works.
If you have time to waste there are 3 videos because the stream crashed a few times. ;-)

Last edited:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
If it's not too personal to you, what do you do with the 5300?​
I do a lot of technical writing, developing training materials and courses, and project proposals and the like. Modern systems are waaaaaaay too distracting to work efficiently on them. I'm also really fussy about keyboards because I make a lot of errors on keyboards that don't help locate my fingertips on the keycap centers. Older systems with dished key caps, good key travel and some tactile feedback are much better for me to use.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I do a lot of technical writing, developing training materials and courses, and project proposals and the like. Modern systems are waaaaaaay too distracting to work efficiently on them. I'm also really fussy about keyboards because I make a lot of errors on keyboards that don't help locate my fingertips on the keycap centers. Older systems with dished key caps, good key travel and some tactile feedback are much better for me to use.
I should also add that as time has gone by, the bloat of new features and the obsession with flat and texture-free interface design has steadily made modern systems less appealing, and less easy to navigate. I much prefer the simplicity of early Mac OS, all the way back to System 7, for getting out of my way and providing only the resources I need to navigate and use them.

As much as a modern system provides tremendous power to run almost anything, these classic Macs actually have a wealth of software tools that are slim and efficient enough to be much more productive for me in real terms.

I used a SCSI2SDv5.5 as a thumb drive, to install a bunch of software including Office 4.2.1, Claris Works 4, Photoshop 5, PageMaker 6.5, WordPerfect 3.5e and HyperCard 2.4 on a new PowerBook 5300cs.

Not just new to me, but an actual new PowerBook 5300cs, previously unused and still sealed in its wrapper. Manufacture date November 1997.
View attachment 2042536

View attachment 2042537

I do seem to like these!

It’s been so long since I’ve been on Mac OS that I forgot about the fat trash can representing “not empty”.

Of course, to see the fat trash can, now I can’t help but think of the Oscar the Grouch extension. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.