Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I will be getting these soon. Got for free + cost of shipping off of reddit. Score!

h8a04jyn8xl91.jpg

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I ran in to a small hiccup after install (mates compositor was enabled with settings my geforce 6600 didn't like), but i got Fienix 5.1 installed and running on my PM G5 11,2. It's new installer iso makes install / partitioning a breeze, and it uses yaboot rather than grub, so it actually boots after install unlike Debian's last few isos. It also automatically detected my tiger and leopard installs and added them to the boot menu.

Screenshot at 2022-09-10 22-21-22.png

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I've decided to destress and have a little fun building a web 1.1 website with iweb on my ibookg4. Ive been enjoying it so far. The big challenge I have found is figuring out how to get all of my phone pics nor icloud which will not sync to the ibook off my phone and onto my ibook so I can use them when I want to. I have settled on breaking out my ancient sony Cybershot DSC-S30 1.3mp circa 2000 digital camera to to take pictures and build with that source. So in that regard it is fun to revisit old, era appropriate hard ware to accomplish things.

Anyone have any slick ideas on how to get photos off a current iphone or icloud and onto an g1 airport time capsule NAS that the ibook does see & connect to or onto the old ibook g4 itself?

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Anyone have any slick ideas on how to get photos off a current iphone or icloud and onto an g1 airport time capsule NAS that the ibook does see & connect to or onto the old ibook g4 itself?
Sorry, I've never used iCloud but once you have the photos you might want to consider batch processing them en masse in Photoshop or similar - if they're .heif images from a later iPhone the iBook won't like them, besides that, resampling to a smaller size will be Web 1.1 appropriate. Good luck :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Missed this earlier or would have responded earlier.

I use FE File Explorer Pro on my iPhone and iPad. It's $5, but you can access the computers on your network with it and transfer photos directly from your photo library to any shared folder or drive.

FE supports SMB, FTP and a bunch of Cloud storage (like Dropbox). It also supports iCloud Drive.

Just share a folder or your iBook drive, add it to FE and then you can copy to and from. The iPhone and the iBook must be on the same network BTW. Won't work over cellular.

I believe they have a free option, but I'm not sure if you can do anything that I said above with the free option.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I will give that a shot. If it works out, definitely worth the $5.00 bucks & an app I’ll probably be using quite a lot to move files around on my network.
Well, to be sure I wasn't blowing smoke I tried it before telling you. Normally I just use FE to open a file on my Mac using my iPad. That's usually when I'm upstairs in bed and I've got a Word file I want to look out that's…downstairs.

Anyway, I was able to drop a pic right from my camera roll on to my MacPro desktop. So, yeah, worth $5 I think.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Missed this earlier or would have responded earlier.

I use FE File Explorer Pro on my iPhone and iPad. It's $5, but you can access the computers on your network with it and transfer photos directly from your photo library to any shared folder or drive.
Just been trying the app on my M1 iPad. Strangely, it doesn't seem to allow me to access my smb server Mac Mini. I tried to connect to it using the NAS option, and as macOS, but both said Permission Denied. Weird.

I did manage to get it working, but only by setting up the Server as an external location in the Apple Files app, then selected "external location" in FE.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just been trying the app on my M1 iPad. Strangely, it doesn't seem to allow me to access my smb server Mac Mini. I tried to connect to it using the NAS option, and as macOS, but both said Permission Denied. Weird.

I did manage to get it working, but only by setting up the Server as an external location in the Apple Files app, then selected "external location" in FE.
My iPad is 6th gen and it's running iOS 16 Beta, but my iPhone is iOS 15 (11 Pro Max). No idea if that makes a difference. I would have installed the app probably when iOS 12 was out, so haven't messed with any settings lately. I'll take a look later and see if I can add a new computer and what happens.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, just added my NAS (as a NAS) and had no issues.

What happens if you try to add your Mini as Windows?

EDIT: Also just added my G4. It's filesharing via AFP and SMB. Leopard 10.5.8. No issues.

Last edited:

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Not played a lot with my PPCs lately... Bt yesterday, browsing this site, I remembered I have one QuickCam.
This model :

adbcam-2994799020.jpeg

So let's try it. Mine would take only the oldest drivers version found on the MacGarden, and wouldn't work on Mac OS9. After fiddlings with what serial port to select in the preferences (Printer or Modem, on a PDQ), finally got it to work :

Walter.E.Kurtz-13091101.jpg

Like a jump in time to the first ages of photography :p There is no auto-focus, so you have to turn the "lens" ring slowly (as the refresh rate at full scale/full colours is so slow as on the screenshot above) to get something barely clear... But there is a lot possible of settings in the preferences, fun.
So far best I could get is this one, colour at half size :

Untitled QuickPICT.jpg

There is also the option to capture a QuickTime... Mmmh, more a 5 frames per sec kind of thing :p and it crashes the computer when I try to save it .
Got me interested in these gadgets, found out there was some versions in black :cool: and in USB. now that would be cool for a Pismo...

31aBtDnOO9L._SX300_QL70_-3070095025.jpeg

Cheers!

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
@galgot
Funny coincidence, I'm looking for some info about compatible web-cams (thinking about some external USB for my A1342, built-in not something useful) :).
I think you will find a USB one with much better specs than the antiquity I'm playing with :)

Anyways... found a black USB QuickCAm like the picture above, 6,99 $ ! But 34 $ for shipping to France, argggg...

Reactions: Amethyst1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hmm, still no. Only works as external lovation. But at least it does work.
That is very odd. I wonder if it's to do with your iPad being more modern…

My iPad is a 6th Gen and my iPhone is an 11 Pro Max.

You aren't using different subnets on your network are you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.