Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Shure 535’s with new detachable wireless cord. Now finally able to use my favorites wirelessly.

Same here, Shure 535 with BT01. Also Sony WF-1000X, totally wireless and really working well. And Sony WH1000XM2 for long flights.

AirPods and EarPods are horrendous sounding compared to a properly sealed IEM or headphone.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
My AirPods... didn't even unpack the EarPods that came with my new iPhone.

And Bose QC25 (wired with dongle) when travelling.

Last edited:
Reactions: EDiTOR9

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Plantronics Backbeats for running.

Bose QC20 on airplanes or when trying to sleep in a noisy place.

AirPods the rest of the time.

Macsta

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
For casual listening:
AirPods
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore

For critical listening
Fostex TE-05
RHA MA-750i
Etymotics hf3

tooch

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017
Shure 535’s with new detachable wireless cord. Now finally able to use my favorites wirelessly.

Same here, Shure 535 with BT01. Also Sony WF-1000X, totally wireless and really working well. And Sony WH1000XM2 for long flights.

AirPods and EarPods are horrendous sounding compared to a properly sealed IEM or headphone.

Have you guys had any issues with the Shure BT1 in terms of bluetooth skips and minor dropouts?
Mine does it nearly every time when I first use them, until I un-pair and re-pair them and then they operate flawlessly. I messaged Shure on Facebook and they said that they are aware of an issue with iOS 11 and are working with (read: waiting on) Apple to fix it.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Have you guys had any issues with the Shure BT1 in terms of bluetooth skips and minor dropouts?
Mine does it nearly every time when I first use them, until I un-pair and re-pair them and then they operate flawlessly. I messaged Shure on Facebook and they said that they are aware of an issue with iOS 11 and are working with (read: waiting on) Apple to fix it.

Honestly, no issues with iPhone X or, previously, 7+.

How do the WF-1000X compare to the airpods?

I have had flawless performance with the WF-1000X in terms of connectivity, with iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, and iPhone X. However there are some complaints out there (which have been addressed by a recent firmware update) about right-side earbud connectivity.

Also, you will need to recharge every 3 hours, which is not as long-lasting between charges as AirPods.

In terms of sound quality, there is no comparison. WF-1000X is an IEM, with a seal and a high-quality driver. That can not be matched by the AirPods in terms of SQ.

Certainly the Apple proprietary bluetooth implementation has advantages over standard BT stacks in terms of connectivity and power consumption. But if you care about how it sounds, the choice is clear (though, a bit more expensive)/

taxi_driver

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
I think I'm in need of a reality check with honest feedback - thinking of dumping my 6 for a 7 or even 8, yet holding back primarily for the missing 3.5mm jack.

I've invested a lot in IEM's and headphones over the ears, most of which have black cabling so the white lightning adapter while usable, is aesthetically unpleasing. Not crazy about a wireless set for SQ and charging reasons.

thus am left with a potential 6S purchase on this fact alone. am I being too stubborn?

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
No, you're not. Ultimately, Apple is pushing those of us who care about SQ into expensive and, frankly, relatively suboptimal (again, relatively!) solutions because the headphone jack, while pushing a hundred years in age, was still not broken. But as the rest of the market follows suit (and they are, and a cursory glance will show) we will have two paths available if we don't go wireless- live with adapters, or migrate to dedicated devices for music. Both are less than optimal if you want to simplify things.

On the wireless side, headphones like the Sony WH-1000XM2 show what can happen on the other side of the issue- with SQ approaching wired solutions, and great utility and convenience.

This will only continue to improve with the demand curve.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
AirPods as well as the Beats Studio 3.0 wireless, I love the wireless chip in them

Same setup, and I’m happy with it. I’m considering using the studio 3 with my Apple TV as well since Apple has yet to release the HomePod, and Sonos refuses to integrate Airplay 2 into the Play:1.

Reactions: lillefot

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011

I have had flawless performance with the WF-1000X in terms of connectivity, with iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, and iPhone X. However there are some complaints out there (which have been addressed by a recent firmware update) about right-side earbud connectivity.

Also, you will need to recharge every 3 hours, which is not as long-lasting between charges as AirPods.

In terms of sound quality, there is no comparison. WF-1000X is an IEM, with a seal and a high-quality driver. That can not be matched by the AirPods in terms of SQ.

Certainly the Apple proprietary bluetooth implementation has advantages over standard BT stacks in terms of connectivity and power consumption. But if you care about how it sounds, the choice is clear (though, a bit more expensive)/

Good to know, I can't stand the sound of earpods.

I might wait till M2 given they increased the MDR-1000X 20 hours battery to 30 hours in the WH-1000XMK2 (or whatever they call it).

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Wow haven’t been on here for months and just now logging back in.

Reading through all the comments and so many options lol!

I am actually being sent overseas for 3-6 months for work and want to pick up a new pair of headphones for the traveling since I ended up getting some different sets of in ear headphones and none over the ear.

Thinking of these:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-xb950b1

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011

3 hours is a deal breaker I guess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.