What I wish my iPad could do...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by greytmom, Jul 28, 2011.

1. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Hold more. Is there a technical reason that 64GB is the max size, or could that increase in future renditions?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

At first I would have thought it would increase. Now after iCloud has been announced and even the option to buy more space was found, I don't think so. 64 GB may be the most we ever see.

Just curious, what's taking up all the space?

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

People will always want more local space. iCloud isn't going to work on a plane, so how else will you watch your videos?

The problem really is cost, flash memory is expensive (they *could* stick a cheap 1TB disk in there instead, but honestly you really don't want that!). The price is dropping quite fast, but not fast enough. Apple release a new iPad every 12 months (so far), and they normally double the capacity. Flash prices have to halve for them to do that without increasing the price, but flash memory halves in price every 18 months or so, not 12 months. So expect 128GB in the next update.

4. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Video. I have every True Blood episode, a bunch of Buffy The Vampire Slayer (best vamp show that has ever been on TV), lots of movies, etc. I like to rewatch stuff so it's a pain to take it off, add it back, and so on. Would love about 100g of space so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Took all my music off the iPad so that freed up some space, but still.

5. greytmom, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Hmmm. Intriguing. Do you use this? Can you store a movie on this and watch it on the iPad with no loss of functionality? What if you aren't in a wifi area? I know it says it doesn't matter, but why?

Also, say you do the 250mb per month data plan - does this affect your usage?

Edit: Just watched the demo... looks very cool. Apparently it makes its own wifi network, so your data usage isn't affected. This may just be the ticket. Thanks very much!

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Obviously you'd still want to keep a few local files on there for cases like traveling. It's just with iCloud, I don't see Apple adding more than 64 GBs. Who knows though. Anything is possible with Apple.

(I'm aware movies and TV shows haven't even been mentioned to have iCloud support.)

EDIT*
    This is a great idea.

8. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I wish mine could float on a field of anti-gravity to save me holding it when I am in bed laid down.

9. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

10. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Hee. Well, if we're talking unrealistic wishes, I wish mine would clean the house and take out the trash!

11. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I didn't watch the demo, but what do you mean by "it makes its own wifi, so your data usage isn't affected"?

If you're using a 3G iPad and you're not connected to a wireless network that connects you to the internet, then you WILL use your data allowance. Where else would the data be coming from?!

Edit: lol nevermind, maybe I should have watched the demo. :D

12. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

I answered a bunch of my own questions by doing precisely that! ;)

But I'd still like to hear from anyone who has actually used the product to find out if it works well for them.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

For video, definitely go with the Seagate. I haven't used it but the reviews are favorable for video use (it's less usaful for other files). The fact that it has a self-contained battery (and car adapter) and can serve multiple devices at once makes it very handy for long road trips.

14. taipan61 macrumors 6502

just received the seagate as a present, so far i've loaded up the entire series of the tudors and the pacific. the unit provides it's own wireless network, you just log onto it (i password protected it) and it play pretty seamlessly.
    haven't tried it for other files or photos yet.
    they list the battery life at around 5 hours but haven't gotten that far yet, it did take a bit of fanagling to get it to connect the first time and then more after i put in a password

the only complaint that i would have thus far is that i have to go through their app and that all the movies have to be in MP4 format (would like to see it interface with avpro HD or other programs

will update this more as i play with it
    gonna try files and photos next

oh yea, it 500gb and that's the only size so far, would like to see a 1tb one offered

15. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Thanks for the review of the Seagate! I think my local Best Buy carries, will be checking it out in the next few days.

16. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

17. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

What are you talking about? Are you saying you WANT unlimited data, or that you HAVE unlimited data? Because I know of no deals that ever existed for unlimited data on iPad.

iPhone, yes. I have unlimited data on mine (grandfathered) and I'll be holding onto it until they pry it out of my cold dead hand.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Charter" iPad subscribers to AT&T (those purchasing unlimited data plans when the iPad 1 was released) were allowed to retain their unlimited plans as long as they continued to pay month-to-month without interruption. Otherwise, there are no unlimited options for iPad data.

19. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ah. I didn't get my iPad until they had been out for a while. I don't even remember that - how much was the unlimited data plan per month?

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

$30. My wife and I still have the plan.

21. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

If you had said it was less per month, I'd be hating myself right now! But truly I don't always even need paid data time on my iPad, so I wouldn't have wanted to spend $30 a month.

Thanks for your help!

22. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

I picked up the Seagate GoFlex Satellite tonight at Best Buy. syncing my entire iTunes library to it right now. it really is a slick piece of hardware.

23. jesterscourt macrumors regular

If you are trying to play a bunch of videos at home, wouldn't a PogoPlug + portable HDD work?

24. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I think we'll see 128GB in the next iPad. So 32GB, 64GB, 128GB is how it will look at the same price points.