What if apple never abandoned power pc...

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
We'd have slow ass notebooks with no Windows compatibility.

I was at WWDC 2006. The Pentium 4's were so much faster than the G5s it was shocking. The sense was that Apple had pulled the wool over everyone's eyes when it came to PowerPC vs. Intel. It was hard not to feel like Apple had been lying about PowerPC vs. Intel for the few years before.

Also stop comparing the Power7. They're not at all PowerPCs. They require giant, giant boxes and huge power supplies. It's like comparing a dump truck to a F-150. Yeah, you can haul more, but it's not something you'd actually ever regularly drive. The Power series also existed alongside the PowerPC and they were always significantly faster than the PowerPCs, so it's not and accurate comparison.

(Power7s are also $10,000. So you're talking about a Power Mac that would be $10,000. You could easily buy several Xeons for that price.)
Macs were always behind the times they didnt get USB 2.0 for YEARS after PCs got USB 2.0 Windows has had USB 2.0 Support since Windows 98SE! Mac did not exceed the 1GHz threshold until well after Windows PCs had over 1GHz Macs did no exceed 2GHz until the G5 PCs at the time of the last G5 windows had alreaday passed the 3GHz mark not to mention that Apple didnt have 64bit til what Lion? while PCs had 64bit support since late 2005

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
We'd have slow ass notebooks with no Windows compatibility.

I was at WWDC 2006. The Pentium 4's were so much faster than the G5s it was shocking. The sense was that Apple had pulled the wool over everyone's eyes when it came to PowerPC vs. Intel. It was hard not to feel like Apple had been lying about PowerPC vs. Intel for the few years before.

Also stop comparing the Power7. They're not at all PowerPCs. They require giant, giant boxes and huge power supplies. It's like comparing a dump truck to a F-150. Yeah, you can haul more, but it's not something you'd actually ever regularly drive. The Power series also existed alongside the PowerPC and they were always significantly faster than the PowerPCs, so it's not and accurate comparison.

(Power7s are also $10,000. So you're talking about a Power Mac that would be $10,000. You could easily buy several Xeons for that price.)
Ok, so what about the morden PPC chips used in games consoles? (e.g. the xbox 360 has a 3.2ghz tri core ppc, with a similar architecture to the G5 i believe) I know the clock speed isn't everything, but imo thats pretty good, and they don't cost the world

MochaBook

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
u never use "flops" in the term of average computers i specialize in Linux not Mac
Flops is not a Mac term it's one that applies to any CPU ever made with an FPU. How can a Linux person not know the term? The word gigaflop has been around since the 90's and used to be the minimum benchmark for a supercomputer.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
Flops is not a Mac term it's one that applies to any CPU ever made with an FPU. How can a Linux person not know the term? The word gigaflop has been around since the 90's and used to be the minimum benchmark for a supercomputer.
like i said flops are in terms of super computers ppl go by GHz MB GB not Flops

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Yeah, I felt like Macs had more soul when Apple used PPC, but the move to Intel was smart. Due to the sheer size of Intel, Apple was able to equip the next generation of computers with cheaper, more efficient processors. The biggest issues were power consumption, and heat dissipation methods. My G5 dual heats up my room like crazy, and the quad sitting my my closet could probably heat the whole house if I were to multitask using intensive applications...
I agree 100% with you. Macs did have more soul when Apple used PPC. :(

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
Intel processors may be cheaper than PPC but it didnt make the mac cheaper and AMD is even cheaper and runs cooler than Intel

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think Apple would be at the same place as they are now. They would be making the iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad, and see their Macs as their secondary business. It has nothing to do with PowerPC vs Intel. I personally didn't buy an Intel Mac because it was Intel, I bought it because it ran Macintosh OS.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
and AMD is even cheaper and runs cooler than Intel
AMD are rubbish. Well, they've been obliterated by the speed of SandyBridge and Ivybridge. And that is the reason why AMD is cheaper, more so with Bulldozer. Did you know they were giving cashback deals to customers who bought Bulldozer? how bad is it for AMD when their x6's can't compete with Intel's latest quad cores.

AMD runs somewhat cooler because their max temp is around the 62c mark where it down clocks to save itself. As Intel is somewhere in the high 70's, early 80's? with a good HSF Intel's won't even hit 70c.

Even with enthusiast systems I've seen people's Sandybridge/Ivybridge, their max temperatures with Prime95 is 55c, overclocked to 4.5 - 4.8Ghz.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
I think Apple would be at the same place as they are now. They would be making the iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad, and see their Macs as their secondary business. It has nothing to do with PowerPC vs Intel. I personally didn't buy an Intel Mac because it was Intel, I bought it because it ran Macintosh OS.
so do Hackintoshes

----------

AMD are rubbish. Well, they've been obliterated by the speed of SandyBridge and Ivybridge. And that is the reason why AMD is cheaper, more so with Bulldozer. Did you know they were giving cashback deals to customers who bought Bulldozer? how bad is it for AMD when their x6's can't compete with Intel's latest quad cores.

AMD runs somewhat cooler because their max temp is around the 62c mark where it down clocks to save itself. As Intel is somewhere in the high 70's, early 80's? with a good HSF Intel's won't even hit 70c.

Even with enthusiast systems I've seen people's Sandybridge/Ivybridge, their max temperatures with Prime95 is 55c, overclocked to 4.5 - 4.8Ghz.
My Pentium 4 gaming rig is always runing at 150F

----------

also i dont blame Apple from going to Intel however they were quick to leave PPC in the dust and act like they never even existed they could of made it where the PPCs ca run SL since PPC apps were dropped in Lion or they should atleast make a emulator like Rosetta that allows PPC uses to install Intel apps on their PPC macs

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
G4's don't run hot and if you use altivec they are faster and anyway they probably would be on par if not faster than intel now since they use risc and there's also virtual pc for windows.
There was never a PowerBook G5 released during the whole G5 Macintosh era: PowerBooks were G4 during the whole G5 era. This was because of its tendency to run hot and hence eat batteries.

Apple foresaw the whole movement to portability and PPC chips were not an option.

Their license of the technology underlying Rosetta allowed them to accomplish this move with transparency and ease of use. It was a minor miracle...

I was an owner and user of VirtualPC, the Windows emulation software for the Mac, it was slow and cumbersome. I only used it when I had a "must use" Windows application.

As a matter of fact the licensed copy of Microsoft Windows XP contained in my last version of VirtualPC from Connectix is still the licensed version I use for Windows XP in Bootcamp/Parallels -- and I am so glad to run it on an Intel instead of emulation!

Last edited:

goMac

macrumors 604
Apr 15, 2004
Ok, so what about the morden PPC chips used in games consoles? (e.g. the xbox 360 has a 3.2ghz tri core ppc, with a similar architecture to the G5 i believe) I know the clock speed isn't everything, but imo thats pretty good, and they don't cost the world
The 360 doesn't really have a G5. They cut a lot of features out of the G5, and then added a third core. As it stands, that chip would not be capable of running OS X. Even if you got it to work, it would actually be clock for clock far slower.

Also, a i3 would easily best the G5 in the 360. For cheaper. Remember, even a dual core Intel processor is only $120. The processor in the 360 may be cheaper, but it is far far far slower, and far far far older.

Still no USB3 for the Mac Pro, while I've had USB3 on my PC since late 2010.
Apple uses Intel chipsets, and Intel just started supporting USB3 this year.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
We'd have slow ass notebooks with no Windows compatibility...
You cannot compare today's CPU world with that of 2005. I was forced to maintain my PowerBook G4 even though i upgraded my iMac to G5...

Apple was losing ground quickly in the laptop segment of the market and their move to Intel actually gave them substantial gains in that area!

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
]also i dont blame Apple from going to Intel however they were quick to leave PPC in the dust and act like they never even existed they could of made it where the PPCs ca run SL since PPC apps were dropped in Lion or they should atleast make a emulator like Rosetta that allows PPC uses to install Intel apps on their PPC macs
A nice dream, but only that. The number of PowerPC Macs that would be able to successfully run such software would be extremely limited. Probably to the 2.7DP G5s and the Quad G5s. Even then, I imagine such emulation would be incredibly painful. Ever try to run a modern version of Windows(i.e. post-WinMe) on VirtualPC? It'd be kinda like that, but probably worse.

And all things considered, they didn't leave PPC in the dust that quickly relative to their leaving the Motorola 68K architecture behind. Given how much faster computers move in terms of power/ability these days compared to the 90s they moved at a practically glacial pace, and for that I thank them.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
My guess of what it would be like if Apple had stuck with PPC is we'd still be hoping that the powerbook G5 would finally come out next Tuesday.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
]also i dont blame Apple from going to Intel however they were quick to leave PPC in the dust and act like they never even existed they could of made it where the PPCs ca run SL since PPC apps were dropped in Lion or they should atleast make a emulator like Rosetta that allows PPC uses to install Intel apps on their PPC macs
No quicker than when the eliminated the Classic Environment in 2006 after they introduced OS X 6 years before...

Are you seriously suggesting that an emulator be developed to run Intel apps on the PPC Macs?:D

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
No quicker than when the eliminated the Classic Environment in 2006 after they introduced OS X 6 years before...

Are you seriously suggesting that an emulator be developed to run Intel apps on the PPC Macs?:D
yes i am i cant run Trillian dammit

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn

I wouldn't be able to offer craigslist seller's $80 bucks for a nice ibook G4 and have them except it! ;)

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
Intel processors may be cheaper than PPC but it didnt make the mac cheaper and AMD is even cheaper and runs cooler than Intel
Meh, I wouldn't say they run cooler. The PC's with Opterons, Phenoms, and Bulldozers that I have used all tend to run very hot when compared to Intel chips. I agree that the temps might be slightly lower in some cases because the processor is clocking down significantly.

----------

I wouldn't be able to offer craigslist seller's $80 bucks for a nice ibook G4 and have them except it! ;)
Oh I do this all the time ;)

Except I offer them around $20 and sell them for $80. :D