What if you were completely honest with the cops?

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
What happens if you get pulled over and are straight up completely honest and respectful immediately with the officer. Compliment him/her on his line of work (which I doubt would really be insincere from anyone anyway) , I'd tell him I watch Cops ALL the time, (which I do), and how much I appreciate their service. and be straight up with them regarding everything. Do you think an officer would be so appreciative and taken aback by this that theyd let you off of a misdemeanor or two?

Edit: let me rephrase this. If you are competely complent with a cop, than you are not sucking up, and you should be well aware that disclosing anything is allowing it to be used against you. Obviously, if you are tell the cop what he wants to know, than you're doing the opposite of what you should do if you don't wanna get in trouble.

What I'm sayig is that I'm sure cops never get this and would appreciate it and give you a break

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
No, I'd have to say if you really respect their job, you would understand not getting off for a small crime.

I think being polite is a good idea, but the sucking up your talking about isn't required(or helpful, in fact likely the opposite)

TechieJustin

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
What happens if you get pulled over and are straight up completely honest and respectful immediately with the officer. Compliment him/her on his line of work (which I doubt would really be insincere from anyone anyway) , I'd tell him I watch Cops ALL the time, (which I do), and how much I appreciate their service. and be straight up with them regarding everything. Do you think an officer would be so appreciative and taken aback by this that theyd let you off of a misdemeanor or two?

I was pulled over seven years ago, and as soon as the officer came up to my window I admitted I was speeding. He didn't even bother running my license, he just chuckled and let me go.
Honesty does pay. I'm not a good liar, for whatever reason I can't think of something believable in a split second.

TechieJustin

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
A nice rack can sometimes get you off. Just saying.
Well... I don't have a rack. But I was at a bar when a fight broke out. As the police were taking down out information the one female officer said I looked like Tom Cruise. I guess that's good.
No, I was not involved in the fight, but I did give first aid to somebody who was. Nice knock to the head - pupils were dilated to different widths = concussion.

TechieJustin

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
True.

OP, you are more likely to piss them off by trying to butter than up than anything else.
Indeed - but it depends on the officer, the kind of day he's having.
The best thing to do is keep quiet, cooperate, don't admit anything and don't act like an ass.
It also depends on the offense. If you get caught going 75 in a 65 - he will react differently than if you get caught going 75 in a 45.
There are simply too many variables.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
That's not being honest, that's called "sucking up."
Agreed.

I worked for a sheriffs department a long time ago in Florida. Here is some advice from someone who has been on the other side.

1. Pull far enough off of the road.
2. Turn off the car, and stay in it unless instructed otherwise.
3. Roll down your window.
4. Keep your hands on the steering wheel.
5. Answer the questions. Don't try and BS your way out of it. They have heard all of the excuses a million times.
6. Be polite and respectful. A Lieutenant I worked with once told me, "I've had a lot more people talk their way INTO a ticket than OUT of one.

Remember that cops have a lot of discretion when it comes to writing tickets. What one would write a ticket for, another would let go with a warning.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
I've known people who have gotten away with warnings because they told the truth to the officer that pulled them over. However, you'd be taking it way to far if you did all the B.S. in your original example. Just tell the officer the truth and be polite and you might get lucky.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Traffic tickets: be respectful, keep hands on wheel, roll down both windows all the way, look straight forward until the officer approaches you.

Serious trouble: Don't say anything, ask for a lawyer.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
OP, buttering up or kissing up won't help your chances.

I've found being straight forward with a policeman is your best option. They do have discretion. At the same time, they've heard every story in the book so don't try to BS them.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Law prof and cop agree: never ever ever ever ever ever ever talk to the cops about a crime, even if you're innocent
http://boingboing.net/2008/07/28/law-prof-and-cop-agr.html

It's worth watching both videos.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No, I'd have to say if you really respect their job, you would understand not getting off for a small crime.
Got it in one.
I admire the work they do, but I'm not going to tell that to one if I'm in a spot of bother.

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
If you are really sincere bring a couple boxes of donuts to the police station as a sign of your gratitude. When you get pulled over all of a sudden the relationship with the officer isn't on the same lever. He/she has a greater power over you. Outside of that you are both equals.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
The worst kind of oinkers are hwy patrol. Yeah right they're really out there trying to serve US and protect OUR best interests. I hate those oinkers

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
The worst kind of oinkers are hwy patrol. Yeah right they're really out there trying to serve US and protect OUR best interests. I hate those oinkers
The two of you are ridiculous and probably just out of diapers. When one of those underpaid, overworked, dedicated objects of your hatred saves your lives, you'll probably shrug and say that he owed it to you. The reason they are the way they are is because they have to deal with ungrateful people like you all day. /rant :)

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
The two of you are ridiculous and probably just out of diapers. When one of those underpaid, overworked, dedicated objects of your hatred saves your lives, you'll probably shrug and say that he owed it to you. The reason they are the way they are is because they have to deal with ungrateful people like you all day. /rant :)
Apparently ignorance is bliss.