What if you were completely honest with the cops?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Simgar988, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

What happens if you get pulled over and are straight up completely honest and respectful immediately with the officer. Compliment him/her on his line of work (which I doubt would really be insincere from anyone anyway) , I'd tell him I watch Cops ALL the time, (which I do), and how much I appreciate their service. and be straight up with them regarding everything. Do you think an officer would be so appreciative and taken aback by this that theyd let you off of a misdemeanor or two?

Edit: let me rephrase this. If you are competely complent with a cop, than you are not sucking up, and you should be well aware that disclosing anything is allowing it to be used against you. Obviously, if you are tell the cop what he wants to know, than you're doing the opposite of what you should do if you don't wanna get in trouble.

What I'm sayig is that I'm sure cops never get this and would appreciate it and give you a break

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

That's not being honest, that's called "sucking up."

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No, I'd have to say if you really respect their job, you would understand not getting off for a small crime.

I think being polite is a good idea, but the sucking up your talking about isn't required(or helpful, in fact likely the opposite)

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

This. If you're thinking about doing something and hoping you'd get off if you get caught, epic fail.

6. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I was pulled over seven years ago, and as soon as the officer came up to my window I admitted I was speeding. He didn't even bother running my license, he just chuckled and let me go.
    Honesty does pay. I'm not a good liar, for whatever reason I can't think of something believable in a split second.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A nice rack can sometimes get you off. Just saying.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

True.

OP, you are more likely to piss them off by trying to butter than up than anything else.

9. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Well... I don't have a rack. But I was at a bar when a fight broke out. As the police were taking down out information the one female officer said I looked like Tom Cruise. I guess that's good.
    No, I was not involved in the fight, but I did give first aid to somebody who was. Nice knock to the head - pupils were dilated to different widths = concussion.

10. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Indeed - but it depends on the officer, the kind of day he's having.
    The best thing to do is keep quiet, cooperate, don't admit anything and don't act like an ass.
    It also depends on the offense. If you get caught going 75 in a 65 - he will react differently than if you get caught going 75 in a 45.
    There are simply too many variables.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

I worked for a sheriffs department a long time ago in Florida. Here is some advice from someone who has been on the other side.

1. Pull far enough off of the road.
    2. Turn off the car, and stay in it unless instructed otherwise.
    3. Roll down your window.
    4. Keep your hands on the steering wheel.
    5. Answer the questions. Don't try and BS your way out of it. They have heard all of the excuses a million times.
    6. Be polite and respectful. A Lieutenant I worked with once told me, "I've had a lot more people talk their way INTO a ticket than OUT of one.

Remember that cops have a lot of discretion when it comes to writing tickets. What one would write a ticket for, another would let go with a warning.

12. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I've known people who have gotten away with warnings because they told the truth to the officer that pulled them over. However, you'd be taking it way to far if you did all the B.S. in your original example. Just tell the officer the truth and be polite and you might get lucky.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Traffic tickets: be respectful, keep hands on wheel, roll down both windows all the way, look straight forward until the officer approaches you.

Serious trouble: Don't say anything, ask for a lawyer.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

OP, buttering up or kissing up won't help your chances.

I've found being straight forward with a policeman is your best option. They do have discretion. At the same time, they've heard every story in the book so don't try to BS them.

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://boingboing.net/2008/07/28/law-prof-and-cop-agr.html

It's worth watching both videos.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just be honest. Don't suck up. You'd surprised at how that could work in your favor.

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

There are two steps for the cops to let you off:

1. Be a girl
    2. Cry.

Simple, really.

18. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

It can sometimes help you get out of a ticket, too.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Too funny

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Got it in one.
    I admire the work they do, but I'm not going to tell that to one if I'm in a spot of bother.

21. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I just smiled and appeared genuinely confused as to why I was pulled over. I hate it when women cry about things like that; I think we are better than that. :)

Thank God I didn't need that. :eek:

22. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

If you are really sincere bring a couple boxes of donuts to the police station as a sign of your gratitude. When you get pulled over all of a sudden the relationship with the officer isn't on the same lever. He/she has a greater power over you. Outside of that you are both equals.

23. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

The worst kind of oinkers are hwy patrol. Yeah right they're really out there trying to serve US and protect OUR best interests. I hate those oinkers

24. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

The two of you are ridiculous and probably just out of diapers. When one of those underpaid, overworked, dedicated objects of your hatred saves your lives, you'll probably shrug and say that he owed it to you. The reason they are the way they are is because they have to deal with ungrateful people like you all day. /rant :)

25. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

Apparently ignorance is bliss.