What is everyones job?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tktaylor1, Apr 4, 2011.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I am a freshman in college and this morning I was talking with one of friends about majors and I decided to change mine. I wanted to be a nurse since pretty much middle school. I know I won't be happy being in the medical field. I am just trying to get some ideas. I know I might want to do something in the technology field, I don't know. Can you list your job and what exactly you do. I don't care that much about the salary. Thanks

2. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I'm a developer. For the last 12 years I've been coding policy administration systems for an insurance company.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Many people who major in something don't wind up doing anything related to their degree. I know for a long time I did not, then I did and now I'm technically not. Point being is if you want to do something in technology or design I think the degree matters. In other words, I don't know many graphic designers that majored in biology. (no debate on whether formal education matters as a whole).

What do you want to do with computers? Programing? sell them at Best Buy? Fix them?

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Nice. I did that for a while; now I sell phones at Best Buy. :D

5. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I really want to be a graphic designer but I am scared to go down that road. I know I don't want to sell them at Best Buy.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm a graphic designer.

Be prepared to sell your soul and push pixels. That's all companies want nowadays. They don't hire you for your design expertise, they want to point at the screen and bark orders at you. Anytime you have a unique idea that you know would boost the brand, you always get a higher up that thinks it should have more marquees and blinking text. Or worse, glossy buttons and aqua ui circa 2003.

If you can go freelance do it. Unfortunately I completely suck at the business side of things and wouldn't dream of going that route until people start coming to me for design - which will take a while.

7. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

My friend has his own graphic design company called Citytree and he does really good. I know he does everything for our church and like 10 other churches of our size. I don't know the amount he gets paid from our church but from what I can estimate he gets about 15-20k a year from our church alone. He has donated 3 iMac's to our churchs media crew (which i am on). The dollar figure is estimated from what they pay me to clean and what they pay my parents to clean. And your website doesn't work. When will that be back up?

8. leenak macrumors 68020

I wanted to be a doctor since I was young. In college, I had a crisis and went into Comp Sci and loved it. I work in IT now and have been for quite a few years. I like it but I think I want to work with people directly and not sit in an office all day long. So now I'm going back to school to go into the medical field.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Indeed. I majored in Biology. But I ended up doing computers repairs for a while (the first Apple Certified tech at my company:cool:), wedding photography and now bean counter. I guess my next job will be handyman.:)

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

BTW I did not mean anything by people who are biology majors. ;)

Graphic design is tough, 7on is right but then again there are exceptions to his story. You may luck out and there is a great debate around formal education versus practical when it comes to graphic design.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

46 yo overweight unemployed male entertainer.

Actually unemployed at the time but starting in the biotech field moving from the semiconductor industry.

12. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Electrical Engineer in the utilities industry. I do designs for equipment that gets installed electrical substations. I stumbled on it by accident. Before that, I'd actually gone back to school for a Masters to switch fields to biomedical engineering. Before that I was a test engineer working on semiconductor equipment. And in the beginning I was a technician getting paid jack to fix computers.

Nursing is a great field by the way. It's one of those fields with a lot of career options. Start off with an LVN, get your RN, and make a comfortable living. Wanna specialize and make more money? Get a Masters and become an NP in whatever field you like (Family, Peds, Anesthesiology, Derma, etc). Wanna do the business side? Get a Masters in Nursing Administration. Wanna do research? Go for a PH.D. Only thing better is actually becoming a doctor.

13. tktaylor1, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011

tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I planned on being a Nurse Anesthetist. I was going to go to school to be a CRNA and then once I got enough money I would go back to school to do something technical but I don't think I could last that long. I might do something in IT.

What exactly do you have to go through to get the Apple certification thing?

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Internet stalker...;)

OP, what is is about your previously chosen career that has turned you off? Perhaps if you stated some of what you like, what you're good at, what your ideal job would be like, etc, you might get more useful feedback.

15. mstrze macrumors 68000

Depending on how much your tuition is and how much your student loan payments will be in the future, you may. :(

I am a meteorologist and have done just about everything in the field with the exception of working for the government. I worked for a private weather service (AccuWeather) for a decade, did TV weather for about 7-8 years and am now working for an energy company providing weather forecasts to determine how much electrical and gas demand there will be for heating and cooling in order to have enough supply for our customers. TV and private weather currently starts folks around 20-25K, energy starts at about $60K.

The reason I bring up the salary thing is that I know far too many meteorologists graduating with $50-75K in student loans and landing first jobs where they get paid only around $20K/year. My $13K debt cost me $105 a month over 10 years, I can't imagine being able to support myself on a $20K salary with debt 5-6 times as large!

It's just worth thinking about, unless you are getting your schooling for free. There are just some major/university combos that do not work for economic reasons. (Meteorology and US out-of-state tuition is one example :( )

16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Apple Certifications

I looked into it for a while. Seems like its worth doing one day just to have.

17. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I have always wanted to do something in the medical field. What turned me off is I dont think I will be happy doing that. I like technology and sports so much more. I am always doing something related to those 2 things. I love sports and technology. Not sure what I am good at. I've only had one job at a Subway so I am good at making sandwiches lol. My ideal job would be something where I sit on my butt and do nothing and make a 7 figure salary but that wont happen. I thought about stocks because my best friend makes about a thousand a day in stocks as a freshman in college and I am not bad at that myself. I am about to throw some money that way. But I want to do something with computers and sports. I thought about a sports writer for like a baseball team or something but that is really competitive.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Sports physical therapist/trainer
    Med School - orthopedics

Sounds like you need to do some career research.
    As for the sitting on your butt and making a 7 figure slarary...good luck with that.

19. Phil A., Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've been in IT for my entire working life (>25 years) - I am currently a technical architect and spend my working days designing very large enterprise systems running on things such as Dynamics CRM, BizTalk and SQL Server on Windows, and Java and Oracle on Unix / Linux. I'm also a registered Apple developer (OS X and iPhone) but haven't really had time to get into it seriously yet.
    In spite (or maybe because!) of me spending most of my working time with Windows, I only have a single non-apple piece of technology at home and that's an old windows PC running a backup copy of my iTunes library :)

20. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I want to get away from medical all together.

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Freelance Graphic Designer. But I worked many years for various companies before becoming a freelancer.

22. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Im a psychiatric Nurse, I work in the UK on a acute assessments ward with people suffering from schizophrenia, bi-polar, personality disorder. Mainly offenders who come from prisons....
    Love it though, all I do is talk to people all day!

23. leenak macrumors 68020

I know you said you want to get away from it but how about something like biomedical engineering?

I know you said graphical design which yes is a hard field. Are you interested in web design? Are you interested in game development? Are you interested in advertisement/marketing?

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Well as of right now I am a student.

I just recently left my job which was all kinds of things in IT to finish school. (I would do Windows desktop and server repair, some networking but we usually had networking guys for that, script writing, network admin stuff, all kinds of things).

I am also a hobbyist game developer and have been dabbling in visual effects a lot. Oh, and I also used to do a TON of photography but that pretty much subsided into a hobby now.

25. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

CEO of a global design and manufacturing company, (consumer products).