What is the absolute perfect size for the iPhone's screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Calidude, Jan 25, 2012.

?

What is the absolute perfect size for the iPhone's screen?

1. 3.5 Inches

56 vote(s)
    16.6%
  2. 3.7 Inches

24 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 3.8 Inches

19 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. 4.0 Inches

175 vote(s)
    51.8%
  5. 4.3 Inches

41 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. 4.5 inches

9 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. 4.7 Inches

10 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Other size not listed.

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Decided to make a very comprehensive poll.

We will settle this once and for all.

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I've made a thread like this before...
    I'd take a 4.7-5.3 display. It'd need a higher resolution, and the software would need to actually display more content. (ex: the Galaxy Note 720p 5.3" display, and how Android fills your resolution with the right amount of content) Cuz right now the iPhone display is so cramped. Seeing it bigger but still cramped would be okay... It'd be annoying though. Hence, the need for a new resolution standard. App devs would need to re-write some stuff but it'd be worth it. Apple has to do something. Big screened phones are taking over.

3. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I'd say 4", anything higher would be too big.

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'd go with what ever they could fit in the iPhones current size. I don't really want a bigger phone.

5. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

I don't understand people who say 3.5 is fine. Does everybody who uses this phone just have tiny hands, tight jeans and a fetish for endlessly zooming in on webpages and documents?

6. PaulyD macrumors 6502

I would say 4" would be the sweet spot though I really have no issues with the current 3.5" to be honest

7. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I never said 3.5 was fine, I said I would like 4. You're looking for a fight when there isn't one.

8. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Dude, I was just agreeing with you.

----------

Um, yes you do. Your issue is that 3.5 isn't the sweet spot.

9. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Anything less than 4in would be uncivilized at this point.

10. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Ah, that was my bad.

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

The iPhone is designed that way for a reason and why its stayed that size since its release.

I hope Apple develop innovative ways to get sites to work better with its current size. Apps work great on its current screen so I personly don't see the big issue.

Unless people feel inferior to people with larger screens?? :confused:

12. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

If the screen had begun at 4 inches, your wording for this post would be the exact same.

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

yes it would. But it didn't..... ??

Apple could have made the Phone any size they wanted but chose to get the best fit for your hand and stuck with it.

It wasn't a finger in the air decision.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Apple's quarterly customer survey results seem to show 3.5" is the best size for an iPhone screen.

15. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

I think it was more like they chose the screen size that yielded the safest bet and the lowest cost to manufacture. Nobody can say that 3.5 is TOO big and it certainly isn't TOO small for most of the world to use, especially in emerging markets in Asia.

However, European and American markets are clamoring for bigger phones, and I think Apple will hit the 4 inch sweet spot this year if they want to continue to compete against the huge numbers of Android, Windows and Tizen phones coming their way by the end of 2012.

----------

Their customers would say 4 inches is the best size if the iPhone were 4 inches since 2007.

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I agree, its not too big or too small.

Do you honestly believe, hand on heart, that Apple/Johnny Ive went with a size that is easiest to manufacture and not a design which works best for the consumer??

17. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Apple doesn't exactly have a track record for doing what is best for the consumer. They prefer to do things the Apple Way, regardless of what the consumer wants. A consumer's "wants" mind you, are the best thing for the consumer.

Sure, the Apple Way does work for a lot of people. Especially those people that would only understand how to use a computing device if it were done in the simplest way possible. But, it does not offer much in the way of choice, functionality or extensibility.

18. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

If Apple did what the consumer wants they would have about 50 different Phone on the market like Samsung.

Steve Jobs once famously said "Consumers don't know what they want" and I completely agree.

But thats my thoughts on it and why I buy Apple. :)

19. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Yes, but the solution to "Consumers don't know what they want" isn't necessarily to just give them one thing done the Apple Way. The solution is to provide a product that doesn't insult the consumers intelligence and provides them with choices as soon as they get to explore the product.

You don't need 50 different phones to do that. You just need 2 phones of different sizes with software that can do almost anything a consumer can possibly want.

The reason people go with Android is not because Android is better. They go with Android because they don't feel they need to do things the Apple Way, and that in itself disproves Steve Job's absolutist stance, which should be: "Many Consumers don't know what they want."

20. matttye macrumors 601

I voted 4.3" because 4.3" still fits easily in the pocket and can be used with one hand.

21. cynics macrumors G3

An iPhone is an optometrists best friend when it comes to business. eyeStrain is related to constantly starring at something that too close to your eyes. The screen is just too small to use it at a healthy distance. I have 20/20 too.

While I know its easier to one hand type and easier to pocket I just want a bigger screen. I find a lot of web pages very hard to read and it just ruins the overall multimedia experience IMO.

Maybe apple could offer two variants. Large 4.x screen and a 3.5". Oh there I go again with those crazy options.

22. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

[​IMG]

Not sure how true this is but i've seen it about quite a lot.

23. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

I can use a Samsung S2 one handed. It's definitely not true.

Besides, a thinner iPhone with a 4 inch screen will hardly be an issue for even the smallest hands.

24. matttye macrumors 601

What is the green thing supposed to signify? I can reach every corner of my sgs2 with my thumb and my hands aren't that big. :confused:

25. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Well, its pretty obvious that the green signifies the coverage area of this little guy's hand. :p

[​IMG]