What is the Preferred Method of Setting up the new iPhone 6/6Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WizardHunt, Sep 25, 2014.

1. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Hey guys,
    I did not see anything on this subject or maybe i missed it. Anyway can you give me some feedback regarding how you guys and gals set up your new iPhones? Did you set only as new? Did you back up your iPhone to your computer first then do a iCloud back up as well so you have 2 backups for emergency situations that may arise? Did you just do a iTunes back up and restore?

I am interested in hearing how you set up your iPhones and what exact methods you used and what problems if any and how did you fix those problems.

Looking forward to hopefully a lot of replies on this as i get my iPhones today and would like to be prepared before they get here. Thanks

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I've done the iTunes back up and restore going all the way to the original iPhone. No issues here.

3. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

I set my up as new. I had too much unused apps on my previous. Couple things i migrated over was contacts and calendar. Music, ibooks, movies, pictures was just a simple sync.

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Did mine as an over the air restore from backup. It was seamless and easy.

5. l3it3r macrumors regular

l3it3r

I was 8th in line on launch day, so the wifi was NAILED. My restore said '1 Day' time remaining, so I started over, hit setup as new, and moved on. I'm restoring photos tonight (been traveling since I got the phone), and have downloaded all the apps etc. I wanted already. :apple:

6. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Did you have any network or wifi issues since you did a restore from a older version iPhone? I heard some people did. But that if you refresh your network settings it would fix any issues. Just wondering if you had any issues with that?

7. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Restore from backup (started on Ipod touch 1st gen, then IP4S and now the IP6)

no issues

8. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Here is my procedure:

1. Backup my old phone to the cloud.
    2. Backup my old phone to iTunes.
    3. Sync my old phone to iTunes.
    4. Turn off find my iPhone on the old phone.
    5. Put old phone in airplane mode then turn it off (this prevents any more interaction with the cloud when I turn it back on to wipe it clean).
    6. Hook new iPhone to computer and restore from iTunes backup (much quicker then using the cloud).

I backup to the cloud first as a "backup to the backup" because there was one time when the iTunes backup would not restore for some odd reason.

9. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Backed up my old device just in case, sold it, set up my new iPhone as a new one but synced notes, calendar, contacts, mail, music, videos, apps through iCloud. No restores. Fresh new start on a fresh new device that is so different from anything I've ever seen from :apple:.

10. julesgold macrumors regular

I always set up as new. So basically I clean my contacts list with every iPhone I get. Most of my pictures are saved on my Mac as well so I don't really care about having them on my phone. I have a premium account on Spotify so that's where I listen to my music, and that's pretty much it LOL.

11. CBSubliminal macrumors 6502

CBSubliminal

12. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Interesting way of doing it. I may try your method. But everyone keep them coming the methods you use to setup your iPhone. This can be a useful thread for new users setting up their phones. :D

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, but if you set up a new iPhone it won't transfer the passwords even from a backup so you do need to re-enter all the passwords including mail.

14. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I started as new and put the apps I wanted on my new phone.

15. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

I save my safari favourites, contacts, etc in iCloud so I always setup as new and install the apps and setup them up manually.

16. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

What if you setup as new, but transfer safari and others settings such as contacts etc... Wouldn't that set it up with your saved passwords or no?

----------

Also is there any advantage over doing your iPhone restore from your computer versus iCloud backup and restore besides speed I guess. Restoring from computer I would think would be much faster than iCloud. Am I am wrong here some one set me straight. ;)

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It won't save passwords entered the traditional way. Every single iPhone I've set up I've had to reenter Mail, wifi, etc. passwords.

18. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I set up my 6 Plus using a full iTunes restore from my 4S. Everything seems to be working fine. I chose this method because it was the easiest way to retain my photo albums and messaging history.

However, I have seen on other threads that this may reduce your chances of getting the full battery potential out of your new iPhone, and that a clean setup will allow you to get the most out of your iPhone 6.

19. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

Always as new. Then I put everything back on with itunes

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's only if your backup contains an issue that hurts battery life. Otherwise, it makes no difference. This is why Apple wants you to restore as new to rule out corrupted backup as the culprit when you take it in for service.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I used to restore from backups, but I really don't care. Everything is cloud based and apps are easy to get back.

22. arliu macrumors regular

can you explain further about how your old set up will hurt battery life? Im not sure if my plus is like this

23. formerpc macrumors 6502

I always setup as a new phone. I've had problems restoring from my old phone onto the new one, so I just skip all that.

----------

Exactly. I backup my photos to my computer. Otherwise it's all available in the Cloud. Delightfully convenient, imo.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If your backup has an issue affecting battery life and you copy it over to the new iPhone, it may be affected as well. This isn't common though so you most likely have nothing to worry about.

25. Purex, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

Purex macrumors member

What is the Preferred Method of Setting up the new iPhone 6/6Plus?

Always setup as new. The only stuff I sync from icloud is calendar and contacts.
    I download all the apps again and give them a fresh and clean start.
    I don't keep any photos in the iPhone, they are copied to 2 different Cloud and the originals deleted from the device.