What is up with these spelling and grammer junkies

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Man i am getting tired of being complained at for not spelling good or my grammer sucks. yea i admit it im stupid that way but i do know alot about computers, mac's on the other hand i am still learning myself but i know enuff to help someone out even tho there post lack's in the spelling and grammer department.

i dont care if they have problems with spelling and grammer i will read it and post if i can help or try to get more info about his problem and then see if i can help. I wont never complain to any one that has this problem about there spelling and grammer. i wish the spelling and grammer junkies would just Quit wasting mine and other people's time with posting nothing but complaints and not even trying to help with the person's problem.

i think it would help with all the B.S. here on the forum if they would implement a spelling and grammer tool so the people with this problem would get less gripping at and more help with the question. i for one wont let myself or other people get ran over by these butt fungus that waste people's time doing nothing but complaining about spelling and grammer. they could take a better aprotch than saying i read to about the 2nd setense but stopped cause it hurts to much to read your post.

all they could do is answer the post and say it would be alot more better for people to read if your spelling and grammer was better. and that's it but having 15 or 20 people say the same thing after the first reply about the spelling and grammer crap get's real old real fast if they see the first reply post that has no info about the question or problem most do the same thing after that some are willing to read the orignal post and try to help but who wants to go threw 3-4 pages if complaints just to get to the answer

plz plz add a spelling and grammer tool to this forum it will end all the B.S

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Using Safari? Built-in spellchecker.

Butt-fungus? How to win friends and influence people.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Writing properly shows a sign of respect for your fellow readers. With that said, you all sUX0rz!!!11!!!!1

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Personally I can learn to ignore the spelling errors. The complaints are definitely MUCH more annoying than the errors. People may be posting from work machines, etc., so Safari's spell check won't solve the problem for all.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, since it's so painful reading this post.

Besides, it's grammar.

Really, though, do we have to go through this again? About every 2 or 3 months somebody writes how concerned they are that "peeple wory about how other's right, and they shouldn't cuz it don't really matter if I can help somebody out good."

Complain about something that matters - like a lack of Powerbook upgrades for Pete's sake. :rolleyes:

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
doumbek said:
And I believe the plural of fungus is fungi. :D
Reply of the week.

This is a non-issue, always has been, if your browser doesn't support spell checking, buy a dictionary.

It's far more painful trying to decipher the meaning in a poorly written post than it is dealing with the odd anally-fixated grammar fanatic.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
I've never complained about anyone's grammar (except for timelessblur's, but (s)he was unreadable), but since most people on this forum don't know any other posters personally, the only impression you get of anyone is from what they write.

We all make spelling and grammatical errors here - we're not trying to write a paper after all - but if you come across a post that almost unreadable due to lack of punctuation, run on sentences, misplaced participles, gerunds losing their possessors, stream-of-consciousness ramblings, no paragraphs and general sloppiness, the only impression of the writer you end up with is of a knuckle-dragging moron who doesn't respect the readers enough to proof-read.

If a post is so badly written that we have to read it two or three times before even beginning to make sense of it, it's not going to be read for content, and we are more likely to pick on what we can understand straight away, i.e. that the writer is a knuckle-dragging moron who doesn't respect the readers enough to proof-read, and respond accordingly.

That said, good content goes a long way towards making up for bad grammar. A grammatically correct post that boils down to saying "Macs suck because they only have a one button mouse" is much lower on the scale than a sloppily written but technically proficient post that explains how to make professional work easier by removing the drudgery of having to waste time maintaining a PC, by buying a Mac.

But (oh, the irony!) attempting to at least make your posts readable just makes things easier for everyone, yourself included.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
madmax_2069 said:
plz plz add a spelling and grammer tool to this forum it will end all the B.S
Not going to happen.

plz plz write your post in TextEdit, Word, or Safari, all of which have spell check. kthx.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You know what I really like about the premise of this thread? It's that people who care about matters such as grammar, spelling and punctuation are the problem, not those who confess to being lackadaisical about their written communications. We're "junkies," no less!

Slip me another hit of those adverbs!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
IJ Reilly said:
You know what I really like about the premise of this thread? It's that people who care about matters such as grammar, spelling and punctuation are the problem, not those who confess to being lackadaisical about their written communications. We're "junkies," no less!

Slip me another hit of those adverbs!
The biggest problem with the "junkies" is that 9 times out of 10 they make a mistake themselves in their "correction," and you end up with a hypocritical flame war where the original point of the discussion is lost. If you can't understand a post, just don't reply. Don't give a play-by-play of its grammatical insufficiencies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I find that a careless or clumsy writing style really detracts from a poster's credibility.

It's like Jerry Springer having a show about world peace. The message may be worth listening to but the messenger gets in the way.

I'm a sloppy typist and am constantly edtiting my posts to correct my wayward fingers, so I've been nitpicked before.

And there have been instances where I've seen people nitpick a post's spelling or grammar who have nothing else to add to the disscusion. Which is a bit lame.

But many people (like the OP) really make it hard or tiresome to read their posts; Those of you who do need to put the time into posting clear, well written text so I don't have to get out my secret 1337 decoder ring if I want to know what you're talking about.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
So, then, "smart junkies" would be like an oxymoron, without the simile? I couldn't make an adverb out of rodent, but was tempted with "rodentially".

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
wordmunger said:
The biggest problem with the "junkies" is that 9 times out of 10 they make a mistake themselves in their "correction," and you end up with a hypocritical flame war where the original point of the discussion is lost. If you can't understand a post, just don't reply. Don't give a play-by-play of its grammatical insufficiencies.
That's because 9 out any 10 posts contain at least one grammatical error. But I haven't read many corrections pointing out misuse of semi-colons, or pointing out a sentence starting with a preposition. I would have a problem with that.

When a post is so badly screwed up that it makes no sense in any reality, and someone tells the OP so, it doesn't matter if that person misspells "misspelled" "misspelt". In that case the only idiot is the person accusing the grammar junkie of hypocrisy.

Edit: fixed deliberate misspelling of mispell etc - just so many levels of irony there my head hurt.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
anonymous161 said:
I'm sorry, I read to about the second sentence of your post but stopped because it hurts too much to read your post.
Same here. I gave up at about the same point. At the very least posters could attempt to write out the words. Grammar is not as bad, but this is an international forum and English is not always everyone's first language. You need to construct a post so everyone can understand it, or not post at all.

At least the people who are calling out and correcting the errors have made a valid attempt at making their sentences coherent. That is a lot more put forth than the sloppy posters.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
madmax_2069 said:
Man, I am getting tired of being complained at for not spelling good or my grammar sucks. Yeah, I admit it. I'm stupid that way but i do know a lot about computers; Mac's on the other hand, I am still learning myself but i know enough to help someone out even though their post lacks in the spelling and grammar department.

I don't care if they have problems with spelling and grammar, I will read it and post if I can help or try to get more info about his problem and then see if i can help. I won't ever complain to anyone that has this problem about there spelling and grammar. I wish the spelling and grammer junkies would just quit wasting my and other people's time with posting nothing but complaints and not even trying to help with the person's problem.

I think it would help with all the B.S. here on the forum if they would implement a spelling and grammar tool so the people with this problem would get less griping and more help with the question. I, for one, won't let myself or other people be run over by these butt fungi who waste people's time doing nothing but complaining about spelling and grammar. They could take a better approach than saying I read to about the 2nd sentence but stopped because it hurts to much to read your post.

All they could do is answer the post and say it would be a lot better for people to read, if your spelling and grammar was better and that's it but having 15 or 20 people say the same thing after the first reply about the spelling and grammer crap gets real old, real fast if they see the first reply post that has no info about the question or problem most do the same thing after that some are willing to read the original post and try to help but who wants to go through 3-4 pages of complaints just to get to the answer?

Please, please add a spelling and grammar tool to this forum it will end all the B.S
Hey, I just went and did some corrections. Maybe, you'll see why it's tough to read some of these posts. I found a couple of things that even more advanced English speakers do and since no one would care, left those alone.

It gets real old, real fast for us, too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.