Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
My next experiment will be to brine the chicken pieces over night, then sous vide them (in the brine) and finish by dredging in a panko mixture and a few minutes in boiling oil.

I only just started playing with deep frying so more exotic meat like pork hasn’t crossed my mind. It certainly doesnt seem like a crazy idea. I make grattons almost every time I smoke bacon.

Cook to near appropriate temp and finish in oven. Though the less cold your chicken pieces are prior to frying, the less you'll overcook. Panko is finicky and there's ways to let it "hydrate" to prevent burning. It's why I like a cornstarch/flour mixture. Wings are going to be a PITA regardless of how you do it. The line between undercooking and overcooking is easily crossed.

I used to have a really good recipe for a dried herb panko coating for baked chicken but I lost it at some point. It had a multitude of spices and herbs. You could taste it between bites and well after eating, but in a good way. Presentation wise, it was dark green, so not the prettiest.

I've been looking for new ways to utilize the stuff. I was thinking deep fried pork belly would be good.
[doublepost=1547702014][/doublepost]For wings, I usually do the traditional hot sauce cooked in a roux with a lot of butter added just before the wings. Adding to a thick sauce that's rich. If you're eating wings, you may as well go out on being unhealthy.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Cook to near appropriate temp and finish in oven. Though the less cold your chicken pieces are prior to frying, the less you'll overcook. Panko is finicky and there's ways to let it "hydrate" to prevent burning. It's why I like a cornstarch/flour mixture. Wings are going to be a PITA regardless of how you do it. The line between undercooking and overcooking is easily crossed.

I used to have a really good recipe for a dried herb panko coating for baked chicken but I lost it at some point. It had a multitude of spices and herbs. You could taste it between bites and well after eating, but in a good way. Presentation wise, it was dark green, so not the prettiest.

I've been looking for new ways to utilize the stuff. I was thinking deep fried pork belly would be good.
[doublepost=1547702014][/doublepost]For wings, I usually do the traditional hot sauce cooked in a roux with a lot of butter added just before the wings. Adding to a thick sauce that's rich. If you're eating wings, you may as well go out on being unhealthy.

My mother loved - just loved - wings; the more flavoursome (and indeed, unhealthy) the better.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm very bad at that because I can devour them with a large bowl of either blue cheese or buttermilk ranch dressing. The most I've eaten is probably about 80. I'd like to think every person has weakness foods. Wings are one of mine at times. Sometimes it's well seasoned fries (chips).

I remember someone saying they loved popcorn and would routinely get hospitalized for eating too much of it.
[doublepost=1547731788][/doublepost]Maybe some warm garlic bread on the side to lap up the wing sauce and the dressing. You know, leave no mess for the dish washer. Just think of the good you're doing to the earth for not disposing of excess dressing or sauce soaked in goodness.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I'm very bad at that because I can devour them with a large bowl of either blue cheese or buttermilk ranch dressing. The most I've eaten is probably about 80. I'd like to think every person has weakness foods. Wings are one of mine at times. Sometimes it's well seasoned fries (chips).

I remember someone saying they loved popcorn and would routinely get hospitalized for eating too much of it.
[doublepost=1547731788][/doublepost]Maybe some warm garlic bread on the side to lap up the wing sauce and the dressing. You know, leave no mess for the dish washer.

Lol...hospitalized over popcorn. That’s commitment!
[doublepost=1547731987][/doublepost]Btw - I have two four legged dishwashers. I get a tax break from them because they also energy efficient.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Lolol. The more unhealthy the better! I sometimes add a whole tablespoon of unhealthy. Yum!!

When she was mobile and less unwell, she would happily tear at roasted chicken wings with hands and teeth, laughing; latterly, she had to be fed, but still adored them.

We used to tease her, saying that she resembled that movie where Charles Laughton played Henry VIII, full of glorious greed brandishing chicken thighs - she just roared with laughter and carried on eating.

Blue cheese and ranch sauce and/or dressings for chicken wings?

Yum. Both, please, and in generous quantities.

[doublepost=1547731987][/doublepost]Btw - I have two four legged dishwashers. I get a tax break from them because they also energy efficient.

I'm laughing reading that. I can well imagine how efficient the four legged dishwashers are when offered chosen wings or thighs.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Love the typos. I think?
:D:D:D
Grrrr!
Chicken! I meant chicken. Don’t eat children. Their parents don’t like it!
[doublepost=1547748481][/doublepost]And I’ll just post a picture as I know @Scepticalscribe is keen to try them!
3E7EFADB-2FDD-4BE2-8F98-4419FCA5982D.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Grrrr!
Chicken! I meant chicken. Don’t eat children. Their parents don’t like it!
[doublepost=1547748481][/doublepost]And I’ll just post a picture as I know @Scepticalscribe is keen to try them! View attachment 816187

No, not on my menu.

Nor shall they ever make an appearance in my shopping basket, fridge, table or plate.

But, the carer and I agreed that Mother did love her chicken wings (and chicken thighs).

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
32 grams of the stuff popped is a lot of popcorn. You have to have an iron stomach and be able to handle all that fiber at the toilet. That said, if I do pop popcorn, I usually use Hoosier Farms' products. Freeze dried cheese that's then powdered? Yes, please.

The perfect kernel supplier has to offer a tender kernel with minimal chafe.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Were the onions cooked with a slight crunch remaining? I quite like stir frys like that. Same goes for peppers, spicy or otherwise. Or any of the veg.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
32 grams of the stuff popped is a lot of popcorn. You have to have an iron stomach and be able to handle all that fiber at the toilet. That said, if I do pop popcorn, I usually use Hoosier Farms' products. Freeze dried cheese that's then powdered? Yes, please.

The perfect kernel supplier has to offer a tender kernel with minimal chafe.

Neither 32 grams of popped corn or 32 grams of kernels popped is much.

I buy microwaveable popcorn...and sprinkle parmesan over it. Drool.
I miss harvest when we dried field corn. I loved chewing on them fresh out of the drier. Soybeans off the plant are tasty too.

Reactions: kazmac

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Neither 32 grams of popped corn or 32 grams of kernels popped is much.

I buy microwaveable popcorn...and sprinkle parmesan over it. Drool.
I miss harvest when we dried field corn. I loved chewing on them fresh out of the drier. Soybeans off the plant are tasty too.
No. 32 grams of unpopped kernels is about a quarter cup. Popped it's about 6 cups, I think. The Hoosier Farms stuff is dehydrated/freeze dried cheese that's then ground into a fine powder. Their cheddar is delicious. There isn't a huge market for non-synthesized flavors. I used to recommend Kernel's Seasonings back about 18 years ago but I think they changed their process or they haven't.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An omelette, with organic, free range eggs, tomatoes and French onions; very tasty. Then, French bread toasted, some sliced Gouda and homemade pickles. Also very tasty.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I was reading about flatbread in Bon Appetit and gave it a try for dinner.
Wow, it was super easy and delicious. Giving it another try tomorrow.
I used to think they were pretentious without even trying a video of their's up until last February when I had nothing better to watch early in the morning. I definitely like their stuff now. I do swap out some stuff or prepare the initial ingredients differently, but they're great recipes. It does help that outside of their articles, they make an effort to be fun and friendly without being overly gushy in their videos.

Not a huge fan of Brad, though.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I used to think they were pretentious without even trying a video of their's up until last February when I had nothing better to watch early in the morning. I definitely like their stuff now. I do swap out some stuff or prepare the initial ingredients differently, but they're great recipes. It does help that outside of their articles, they make an effort to be fun and friendly without being overly gushy in their videos.

Not a huge fan of Brad, though.

I had a subscription to the magazine in the 90’s and liked it very much then and after restarting it again find it as good as it ever has been. I’ve only watched a few of their videos on YouTube but they seem to supplement the magazine well. Btw - I’m not familiar with Brad.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I had a subscription to the magazine in the 90’s and liked it very much then and after restarting it again find it as good as it ever has been. I’ve only watched a few of their videos on YouTube but they seem to supplement the magazine well. Btw - I’m not familiar with Brad.
Bon Apetit is that old? I thought they were a new outfit, less than a decade. Hmm. Brad's that hippy one that comes off as a pothead. Speaking of recipes, have any experience with Red Boat fish sauce?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.